New recommended components starting with 1909

MrBrown

Ok so I didnt have to share it with you, but I figured I will though. Wasted alot of time trying to troubleshoot this.

Basically starting with 1909, it is highly recommended to enable these Windows App components (screenshot1) in order to have a properly working hardware acceleration when playing 4K 60fps Youtube videos (VP9 codec). In particular VP9VideoExtensions and WebMediaExtensions, (VCLibs.140.00) is required for those 2, also Windows Media Codec must be enabled for it to work.

If you dont enable those, the GPU (in that case Intel UHD620) wont decode the video properly and it will instead be decoded on the CPU, which is bad, because it introduces stuttering etc. (screenshot 2)

If you enable those mentioned things, the GPU will decode the 4k 60fps vp9 video properly, and the CPU will barely have any load. (screenshot 3)

Basically how Ive noticed it was because I was using LTSC with latest updates on my main Nvidia machine and the GPU didnt decode the video, while my other Intel Mini PC with Intel UHD620 with latest 1909 decoded the video properly, then after dozens of hours of troubleshooting I figured out why. Tried with Firefox and Vivaldi (chrome based) and could verify with both.

Also as seen in the recommended screenshot, I do recommend to enable HEIFImageExtension and WebPImageExtension as well. Those are support for new file Codecs, basically added compatibility and are part of 1909 update (included by default). It is more than safe to assume that some programs in the future will rely on those Extensions, so I would leave them enabled.

Attachments

• recommended.jpg
    recommended.jpg
    86 KB
  • NTlite no GPU decoding.jpg
    NTlite no GPU decoding.jpg
    976.9 KB
  • NTlite proper GPU decoding.jpg
    NTlite proper GPU decoding.jpg
    944.3 KB
Last edited:
Thanks, was pulling my hair out why HW decode wasnt working.

Cant believe this crap is also UWP based now. Luckily some guy on github hosted the necessary AppX packages and added it to my live script ;)

I kept all those and when playing 4K videos they still stutter a lot (even 1080p videos stutter a little). The CPU reaches 100%, the GPU 0 over 50% and the PC does a lot of noise (even on 1080p videos).

Last edited:
as i have said before "it will only get worse", and now it has.

I actually assumed these packs are already part of regular Windows 10 SKU's by default, maybe LTSC just don't have them?

Didnt look like these required license files though because that's all blocked due to firewall and it still works. Probably because its not actually an 'app'.

No problem for integration then :)

Last edited:
pretty soon we will get minimal install images, like linux has, where you have to go online to get the rest of the setup files and guess where they will be, you aint seen nothin yet ;)

pretty soon we will get minimal install images, like linux has, where you have to go online to get the rest of the setup files and guess where they will be, you aint seen nothin yet ;)
300 MB images?
at next door neighbor's computer?

There are 300 kb "installers" that downloads 400 MB setup pakage so, Ms will download 30 GB adware package.

Back