Scheduled Tasks removal, NTLite 2.3.2.8500+

Deactivating tasks manually is much more complicated than simply removing them. It is not enough just to change a registry entry from "1" to "0". schtasks tool applies various values to the registry that cannot be easily replicated. But removing is pretty easy, just remove some files or folders and some registry entries that are easy to track by task ID just Ctrl+F the ID in TaskCache key.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Files and folders are located in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks

LTSC 2021 19044.1288 - Recommended Scheduled Tasks - keep/keep at Default settings, Here.
\Microsoft\Windows\Device Information\Device - It is removed by NTLite along with 'Telemetry Client'

\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup\Metadata Refresh - I think this is not used if you disable the feature.
Capture.PNG

I disable the feature and use a group policy. I disable the task too but this time I'll leave it enabled to test if it ever gets executed.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Disable Device Metadata from Internet
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata]
"PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork"=dword:00000001

; Disable Device Metadata from Internet (Group Policy)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Device Metadata]
"PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork"=dword:00000001

\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTaskNetwork - You can disable this. It will only run when a new network is detected but if you leave SvcRestartTaskLogon enabled which runs every log on I see no need to leave SvcRestartTaskNetwork enabled as well. Maybe this is useful for someone who has a KMS server on the same network but I'm not sure. KMS_VL_ALL by abbodi disables this.

The following planned activities (apparently) seem not to be received; surely I did something wrong ???:
Scheduled Tasks / appuniverifierdaily = Remove​
Scheduled Tasks / appuniverifierinstall = Remove​
For me everyone I've tested works beautifully :) I removed these 2 plus some others.

i build my tasks files on a default install so i just take an educated guess. if the remainder get removed by a component removal great.
i/we can always adjust recommendations where needed, i know pmikep used a modified version of my 8.1 task file, great :)

disabling/removing scheduled tasks really does help an OS to behave itself, its a really welcome feature :)

Last edited:
if the remainder get removed by a component removal great.
I meant that if this is removed with telemetry client then it probably isn't necessary (it should only be for collecting data from devices) and you can disable it too. But I'm not sure, I've never seen this task on my system as I always remove telemetry client :p

i/we can always adjust recommendations where needed
Yes of course that's why I commented :)

Can autor add some presets for Scheduled Tasks?
- privacy
- gaming
- disable all not neceessary

\Microsoft\Windows\Device Information\Device - It is removed by NTLite along with 'Telemetry Client'
\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup\Metadata Refresh - I think this is not used if you disable the feature.
\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTaskNetwork - You can disable this. It will only run when a new network is detected but if you leave SvcRestartTaskLogon enabled which runs every log on I see no need to leave SvcRestartTaskNetwork enabled as well. Maybe this is useful for someone who has a KMS server on the same network but I'm not sure. KMS_VL_ALL by abbodi disables this.

Stuff it, im writing them in anyways :)

Last edited:
When in doubt, check the task's actual command.

\Microsoft\Windows\Device Information\Device -> devicecensus.exe SystemCxt
This telemetry app collects your HW configs, and helps MS decide if you're eligible for Windows upgrades (ie. W10 -> 11)

\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup\Metadata Refresh -> nothing listed
This apparently is related to WU trying to automatically find new drivers for you.

\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTaskNetwork -> nothing listed
SPP is the Windows licensing check. I think this confirms SPP ownership/permissions are set to NETWORK SERVICE account.
When it's not, all hell breaks loose.

Don't see where abbodi's KMS script disables this particular task. My opinion is allow your bypass script to do whatever it sees fit, and not to intervene beforehand.

\Microsoft\Windows\Device Information\Device -> devicecensus.exe SystemCxt
This telemetry app collects your HW configs, and helps MS decide if you're eligible for Windows upgrades (ie. W10 -> 11)

\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup\Metadata Refresh -> nothing listed
This apparently is related to WU trying to automatically find new drivers for you.
Thats 2 more for the ol chopping block.

\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTaskNetwork -> nothing listed
SPP is the Windows licensing check. I think this confirms SPP ownership/permissions are set to NETWORK SERVICE account.
When it's not, all hell breaks loose.
Description "This task restarts the Software Protection Platform service when a new network is detected".
Little voice on my shoulder says keep it, hmmmm.

Last edited:
crypticus Somewhere you mentioned that disabling/removing a scheduled task would break someting, possibly during Setup, can you remember what it was and where it is?

So far i have been lucky that when bareboning scheduled tasks on 8.1 and ltsc 1809 windows hasnt thrown a s--tfit t yet :D and i do read the blurb.

this is the task that creating oobe problems (region + keyboard)
also when u pass those error, it makes creating user impossible.

<ScheduledTasks>
<TweakGroup name="Tree\Microsoft\Windows\CloudExperienceHost">
<Tweak name="CreateObjectTask\CreateObjectTask">remove</Tweak>
</TweakGroup>
</ScheduledTasks>

You are a good lad :).
My file is meant for a Live system post install so it wont affect oobe.
Ive already removed that on this test install, gonna see if i can create a new user account, will report back.

Edit - Having problem creating new user account, i cant type or paste a user name.
Dont know if its a bad install, 17763.2366 or that task removal. Grrrrrrrrrrr
Gonna have to do a reinstall. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
crypticus 17763.2366 isnt broken, i can add a new user. With CreateObjectTask disabled i can add a new user. hmmmm.
Gonna ping nuhi so he see's this. Not a problem to keep it and Disable only. Might be preferable to remove it from the Tasks page or keep it, with a warning in Notes and not allow changing it, see what nuhi says.

I disabled it on its own this time, everything else was default, wonder if one of them broke it in the previous build.

Oh well, i lost 2 and gained 1 so im still quids in, result :D.

Last edited:
Grrrrrrrrr. Disabled n deleted the other tasks, cant create a new user, typing wont type or paste :mad:.
Going to try again with a new install and Disable only.

Last edited:
Back