AvastUI failed to load, among other issues...

D

Deleted member 136

Hi,

I just bought the home license yesterday. Everything works brilliantly as expected. I slimmed down a Windows 10 LTSB 2016 x64 .ISO. I installed the .ISO on my VM, and all cumulative updates install just fine, so huge thanks to the dev for that. However...

When I tried to install Avast, there were problems. The installation proceeded just fine. Yet, when it finishes, nothing happens. The AvastUI couldn't load, and any attempt to load it manually would result in the process getting killed after a few seconds with no error dialog boxes whatsoever.

Also:
- I get "error 2" (0x80070002) when I run dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase - after the command progressed 98%. Is this normal?
- I get error 0x80073701 when I install something (e.g DirectPlay) through Windows Features. I used the search function and in old threads it was suggested that this is a downside of NTLite. Is this still the case in the newest version of NTLite?

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated. I have attached below my preset.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, avast shields and services still run just fine. It's just the UI that doesn't load.

Attachments

• extreme.xml
    33.8 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
When I tried to install Avast, there were problems. The installation proceeded just fine. Yet, when it finishes, nothing happens. The AvastUI couldn't load, and any attempt to load it manually would result in the process getting killed after a few seconds with no error dialog boxes whatsoever.

Also:
- I get "error 2" (0x80070002) when I run dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase - after the command progressed 98%. Is this normal?
- I get error 0x80073701 when I install something (e.g DirectPlay) through Windows Features. I used the search function and in old threads it was suggested that this is a downside of NTLite. Is this still the case in the newest version of NTLite?

1.- Avast could be related to network components, active directory, performance monitor or maybe more, i think that is too much removed.

2.- The errors are related to missing components in Manifest Backup (WinSxS\Backup).
Is necessary to know the removed component to check against the preset.

3.- I think this is a Windows downside as the updates bring back components and is not NTLite leftovers.

What you can do to avoid these errors, is to update a clean source, remove components (with the preset created in the first process without errors) an do a "host refresh" (Manual setup must be kept) to keep your system up to date.

To make easier uploading your preset, the next time, please, attach the preset file to the forums with the 'Attach files' button:
Attach.PNG

1.- Avast could be related to network components, active directory, performance monitor or maybe more, i think that is too much removed.

2.- The errors are related to missing components in Manifest Backup (WinSxS\Backup).
Is necessary to know the removed component to check against the preset.

3.- I think this is a Windows downside as the updates bring back components and is not NTLite leftovers.

What you can do to avoid these errors, is to update a clean source, remove components (with the preset created in the first process without errors) an do a "host refresh" (Manual setup must be kept) to keep your system up to date.

Thanks for the answer. However, this is fairly strange since I ticked the "Recommended" compatibility option - which protects *a lot* of components. I think it's more likely a specific component causing this.

Anyhow, issue 2 and 3 I can live with. The main priority is knowing what caused Avast to stop working.

Try enabling Network discovery in Compatiblity and see if Avast works ok
I wonder what Avast version name are you working with.

Try enabling Network discovery in Compatiblity and see if Avast works ok
I wonder what Avast version name are you working with.

i'm just using avast free antivirus, latest version.

I think the problem is too much removed in network components:

How relevant is all of that though? I always opt for "minimal protection" - so no home network security. Just a Web Shield, a File System Shield and a Behavior Shield. Besides, all of these processes still run, it's just the *UI* that doesn't load.

Depends on how the UI loads, sometimes it scans for files/components and won't load if something is missing instead of warning about what is missing.

Anyone else know what went wrong exactly? I still need help with this...

Last edited by a moderator:
In Components-System you havr removed wmitools 'Windows Management Instrumentation Tools'. There are 4 components of WMI and removing them can cause some software not to work.

In Components-System you havr removed wmitools 'Windows Management Instrumentation Tools'. There are 4 components of WMI and removing them can cause some software not to work.

Thanks. I'll test that out. If those components are that important, should it be added to the recommended compatibility list though?

You have stripped out quite a lot and w10 1607 is not very tolerant with removals. I have written presets for w10 1607 that would suit ltsb nicely, have a look at them.
I see. What version in your opinion is the most tolerant with removals?

I haven't seen not a problem by removing WMI Providers and tools with post setup activation, detecting and enabling administrator, reading BIOS to set computer maker, model and serial number as computer name.

Hi,

I still need help with this. I've used Clanger's Stage 1 beginner preset along with some minor modifications, and still Avast couldn't load. This is a very basic preset btw, only 494 components removed - as opposed to more than 800. I've attached the preset below. I've kept WMI Tools, most of the network section and still it didn't work.

Attachments

• basic.xml
    22.6 KB
I don't use Win10. Could it be, though, that the latest updates to Win10 prevent Avast? I vaguely recall reading something recently about a "war" between M$ and anti-virus companies. (I think some AV products try to hook into the kernel. And M$ is trying to stop that.) I presume that you've tested a Win10 with the updates only to see if AV works in that scenario?

Back