Can nuhi figure out how to delete Top Apps?

pmikep

If anyone can figure this one out, nuhi can.

Admittedly a very, very small cosmetic thing in Win10. But many people dislike it nevertheless.

In the standard Search bar, when it pops up, there is a list of Recent Apps, called Top Apps.

No one has found a way to delete them. (Whereas I found, rather intuitively, that one can hover over Documents and x them out.)

Now, I have a bit of a clue, from just now making a very aggressive Preset for Win10 2004, as to how to gather more data here.

In my Preset, I killed as many of the "remember recent" this or that file things as I could find. Similarly, I enabled as many of the "clear" this or that thing on reboot as I could find.

Nevertheless, when I started up my Aggressive Preset in a VM, the Top Apps started to populate.

I had four showing - out of a possible five - when I decided to noodle through the various Windows settings to set the Privacy Toggles.

After I did that, and I cleared History, then the Top Apps froze where I had last seen it. The list did not populate to five.

Once the Privacy Toggles were off, NTLite's settings took over and I was not able to re-enable them.

So in typical MS fashion, it seems like their left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and there might be two different processes going on for this "recent" stuff.

Anyway, I tried running DiskClean, CCleaner (both file and Reg). No change. I deleted a few cache files that I found after I searched for "cache" in Windows. Also some .dat files. No joy.

Clearly MS must be storing these recents somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing a "Don't populate Top Apps" in NTLite someday.

Back