Can't edit 2004 ISO

I'm using the latest stable version of ntlite and when I try to edit a 2004 it always get's stuck on exporting the install.wim (error 13)...
But editing 1709 for example works perfectly fine...
Any suggestions what can cause this ?

I'm using the latest stable version of ntlite and when I try to edit a 2004 it always get's stuck on exporting the install.wim (error 13)...
But editing 1709 for example works perfectly fine...
Any suggestions what can cause this ?
Try to uninstall the version you have, and them download the latest version available of NTLite and try again.
nuhi little help here, Windows 10 2004 issue here.

Yeah it was the first thing I tried...
I even tried the beta version, but it still says it's in use
I don't use an antivirus personally so it wasn't scanning it...
I also tried to re-install windows but still no success :(
Thanks for the reply tho :)

Yeah it was the first thing I tried...
I even tried the beta version, but it still says it's in use
I don't use an antivirus personally so it wasn't scanning it...
I also tried to re-install windows but still no success :(
Thanks for the reply tho :)
I don't know what is causing the issue, so I tagged nuhi (and tag again) , maybe he could provide more information about the issue for you.

I mean it makes sense but i downloaded it straight from microsoft multiple times...
Even tried from rufus download
The weird thing is that it's the only one, every other windows version works flawlessly

And even after a restart loading the folder into NTlite still says it's in use, so I just delete the folder and extract the iso again...
I have no idea why is this happening...

Last edited:
What are you using to extract the iso? I use 7zip and it works fine. Perhaps the problem is caused during extraction.

Nah I use 7 zip too...
The problem is not there I just extract to xxx and drag the folder in NTlite
Like I said I can load it but when I do changes it gets stuck on exporting wim thing on 33% and then says it's in use by something else (erro 13), which is not
Then I try to load it again but it says it's still in use even after a proper restart so I can't load it anymore and so I delete the folder with no problem (nothing is using it), extract the iso again and try again and it loads fine and then the whole cycle again...
I tried multiple iso's, multiple ntlite versions, multiple windows installs and nothing works i just get the error
But it works on EVERY other versions no problem...
but it's definitely not the iso and not "the way" I extract it or use it in ntlite...

You said you tried multiple windows installs. Do you mean you tried reinstalling Windows entirely and then tried exporting the image again? If that's not what you meant, have you tried manually force clearing your temp folder?

When you say "Exporting Wim" do you mean hitting Apply on the Finish tab or actually right clicking on the image and exporting it from the Source tab?

Have you tried hitting Apply with a different image format?

Have you tried exporting it without making any configuration changes (to make sure the problem isn't related to some change you're making)?

So first... yes i reinstalled my whole windows just to see if it was on "the windows side" but it's the same, I tried cleaning the temp folder too (both of them) didn't help then i tried to clean them again with a restart still no results :/
Second, I don't do any changes to the image, I first just strip the other editions... and it works (it's green) and even if I do all the changes at once it all looks good but then the wim exporting section is there... and again any other version works with no problem it can't be in the apply section nor the components etc. I know the iso (the folder extracted) is named differently but that's simply because i renamed it...
I will provide a screenshots here. (had to crop to 720p cause of the size limit)

Attachments

• 2020-09-10 18_49_15-Greenshot.png
    2020-09-10 18_49_15-Greenshot.png
    1.3 MB
  • 2020-09-10 18_50_19-Greenshot.png
    2020-09-10 18_50_19-Greenshot.png
    1.3 MB
  • 2020-09-10 18_55_00-Greenshot.png
    2020-09-10 18_55_00-Greenshot.png
    1.2 MB
Have you tried running NTLite in a normal User account instead of the default built-in Administrator account?

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell you. If you want a 2004 Pro only iso, PM me.

well I haven't tried that (i used unattended in ntlite on my 1709), but Idk why it would have problem just with 2004...
And I didn't mean that I don't do any changes... i do but with the pro iso i just like to strip the other editions and then change the one left.
I don't need the iso i have it directly from microsoft and i could just select pro on the install screen :/
Well I have no clue what else to try... I guess I'll have to wait for 2009 to come out and see if it works on that or another ntlite update, i really don't know...
Anyway thank you so much for the help... I'm grateful for any ideas...
I hope we'll figure it out one day :)

Yo I got an update...
So I redownloaded the iso again and tried to work with it and I got the error again :/
But when I tried to export the file as "esd" (read only) i actually works! Thank you tharri for the suggestion.
So I can work with any other version with wim but 2004 works only on esd...
I guess I can just do it this way but it's very slow and I can't edit the iso afterwards ofc + doesn't "fix" the initial problem
But technically it's resolved my issue...
I'm gonna do my 2004 iso in esd but I would still like to fix the problem instead of "avoiding it"...
Anyway thanks again for the active help!

Attachments

• 2020-09-11 12_21_31-Greenshot.png
    2020-09-11 12_21_31-Greenshot.png
    1.2 MB
Oh so another update :/
I like to strip the other editions first (like home etc.) but ntlite wants to convert the image back to wim (ofc) and it immediately throws the error 13 again (screenshot below)
So I guess I can wait to see if we will find a solution or just do the whole iso "in one take".
Well i am open to any ideas....

Attachments

• 2020-09-11 12_29_57-Greenshot.png
    2020-09-11 12_29_57-Greenshot.png
    1.2 MB
There are lots of tools for converting esd to wim. Try one of these:

I wonder if you were to convert it to a .wim with another tool and then reimport it into NTLite, would you be able to export it as a .wim again?

I have no problem exporting 2004 to .wim from NTLite, so I'm just throwing out ideas to try if you want.

So first... yes i reinstalled my whole windows just to see if it was on "the windows side" but it's the same, I tried cleaning the temp folder too (both of them) didn't help then i tried to clean them again with a restart still no results :/
Second, I don't do any changes to the image, I first just strip the other editions... and it works (it's green) and even if I do all the changes at once it all looks good but then the wim exporting section is there... and again any other version works with no problem it can't be in the apply section nor the components etc. I know the iso (the folder extracted) is named differently but that's simply because i renamed it...
I will provide a screenshots here. (had to crop to 720p cause of the size limit)
Try to go to Temp Folder, and make sure your user have permissions to write files there, maybe that's what are causing the issue. the last pic in the post I'm replying show a message, go to the location and take ownership of the folder and them try again.

There are lots of tools for converting esd to wim. Try one of these:

I wonder if you were to convert it to a .wim with another tool and then reimport it into NTLite, would you be able to export it as a .wim again?

I have no problem exporting 2004 to .wim from NTLite, so I'm just throwing out ideas to try if you want.
I can load the iso initialy with no problem... i just can't export as wim... but i'll try it

Back