Can't install Cumulative updates on Win11 22H2 (Error 0x800f081f)

gj4560

Hi all,
I am unable to install cumulative updates on Windows 11 22H2 using an ISO that I built with NTLite. It is not extremely debloated, I only removed some Windows apps that I never use and some components, but I did remove Edge in case that's causing a problem. Every time I try to install the 2022-11 cumulative update, it fails with the error 0x800f081f, but all other updates seem to install fine. I did also integrate the latest cumulative updates and other updates in the ISO at the time with NTLite (Secure Boot DBX, latest .NET Framework, .NET Framework security updates), and I cleaned the update backup using DISM ResetBase. Finally, the last major change I did to the ISO was disabling all of the telemetry I could, but I will also attach the XML file in case there's something I missed.
Any ideas on how to resolve this error would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Win11Revised.xml
    18 KB
KB5019103 - Setup Dynamic Update for 22H2 Oct 2022
KB5019980 - Nov 2022 CU
KB5011048 - .NET 4.8.1
KB5020622 - .NET 4.8.1 Nov 2022

AFAIK, you're not allowed to use ResetBase when .NET is being installed, due to pending operations (reboot required). Now .NET 4.8.1 can be integrated into images, but I don't know offhand if the ResetBase limitation still applies.

The simple test is either: redo it w/o ResetBase cleanup, or redo it w/o .NET 4.8.1 to check if this is right.

KB5019103 - Setup Dynamic Update for 22H2 Oct 2022
KB5019980 - Nov 2022 CU
KB5011048 - .NET 4.8.1
KB5020622 - .NET 4.8.1 Nov 2022

AFAIK, you're not allowed to use ResetBase when .NET is being installed, due to pending operations (reboot required). Now .NET 4.8.1 can be integrated into images, but I don't know offhand if the ResetBase limitation still applies.

The simple test is either: redo it w/o ResetBase cleanup, or redo it w/o .NET 4.8.1 to check if this is right.
Okay, would I have to reinstall Windows using this updated NTLite ISO? Or can it be applied to the deployed image?

When fixing these kinds of issues, to save on time try the Host Refresh first.

Since you kept Servicing Stack compatibility enabled, whatever is done with the preset, should keep updates working.
So do let me know if you see these issues in the future on the current vs cumulative update version combination with the preset.
Remember any DISM cleanup options done in the sequence, so I can replicate the issue.

There is a small chance that Windows messes this up on its own as well, especially with DISM cleanups, I read it on the other forums. But when dealing with component removals, it's best to assume it's due to it first.

Thanks.

I've the same issue with my windows 11 install from an NTLite.
I've tried the main solutions found on the web for this error number without success.
All previous updates worked fine
This is my xml file
Thanks for your help

Mod Edit: Removed user passwords. Please remember to edit your presets, if you have private info.

Attachments

• MyWin11 Lite #4 OK.xml
    53 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried the main solutions found on the web for this error number without success.
This is my xml file
Thanks for your help

Mod Edit: Removed user passwords. Please remember to edit your presets, if you have private info.
Thanks, did a quick test and no issues installing latest updates.
Can you please retry if it didn't fit the following:
make sure to use the latest NTLite version and write down starting ISO, preset + CU used to test the issue.

This is my xml file
Thanks for your help

thanks for the cleaning, I did not thought about it as it was a generic XML file for me.
I've re-uploaded the file with more info cleaned.
I'll test a clean install with this XML file, the latest NTlite version and the latest udpates included into the ISO

Hi,
I've tested a new windows install with this XML file and with the cumulative update added and it works.

Do you know how I can fix this issue (install KB5020044) with my installed system (NT lite based) without reinstalling ?
I've already installed the KB5020622 update (.NET framework) with success.

I can see the following errors in the windowsupdate.log file:
*FAILED* [80240008] file = D:\a\_work\1\s\src\Client\Engine\offlinesync\OfflineSyncService.cpp, line = 1666
*FAILED* [80248014] GetServiceObject couldn't find service '8B24B027-1DEE-BABB-9A95-3517DFB9C552'.
Misc TelemetryAssert (0 == err): Failed (0xfffffdf0, 0x0) [CSusDatastore::ConfigAndInitInstance:908]

I presume that's a missing or disabled service that causes this failure

Attachments

• WindowsUpdate.log
    162.4 KB
When fixing these kinds of issues, to save on time try the Host Refresh first.

Since you kept Servicing Stack compatibility enabled, whatever is done with the preset, should keep updates working.
So do let me know if you see these issues in the future on the current vs cumulative update version combination with the preset.
Remember any DISM cleanup options done in the sequence, so I can replicate the issue.

There is a small chance that Windows messes this up on its own as well, especially with DISM cleanups, I read it on the other forums. But when dealing with component removals, it's best to assume it's due to it first.

Thanks.
Okay thanks for your reply, another query I had that I don't think is worthy of its own thread is how come some Win 11 features that are meant to be enabled in the "Moment" updates don't get enabled and can't manually be (i.e through registry editing). For example, I'm not able to enable the Task Manager right click shortcut on the taskbar no matter what I try, the install has the Moment 1 update installed (installed as part of the ISO through NTLite I believe) nor have I gotten the new search box that replaces the search icon (which I also couldn't manually enable through vivetool or regedit). Is this something to do with my preset, perhaps privacy settings? Or is it how the cumulative updates are applied when applying directly to the ISO?
Thanks

To explain your question, we need to discuss Window's dev cycle.

Most users believe MS works on a new release for months, then releases a full update all at once. But in reality, it's a continuous release cycle, where different parts of planned milestone (e.g. Moment 1) are finished, and checked into Insider builds for review/testing.

Because some planned features are finished on different schedules, earlier changes which are signed off are silently merged into the production release (monthly updates). Those changes are disabled by default, waiting to be enabled by feature controls.

MS smooths out the releases by sneaking little bits of the finished parts into each monthly update. It's planned months in advance. When the time comes to activate it, they ship a smaller Enablement Package which flips the registry switches to reveal the hidden code.

Smart people can figure when those advanced features have shipped early, and use ViveTool/mach2 to play with them. Other users can get them randomly because MS will use a scheduled task to pick users for early testing.

NTLite doesn't modify or track what hidden, upcoming features are inside any given update package. They're just components to install or remove, and it doesn't know about feature controls. That would make NTLite too complicated.

If you wanted to enable them: run ViveTool on a live system, export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides to your image.

To explain your question, we need to discuss Window's dev cycle.

Most users believe MS works on a new release for months, then releases a full update all at once. But in reality, it's a continuous release cycle, where different parts of planned milestone (e.g. Moment 1) are finished, and checked into Insider builds for review/testing.

Because some planned features are finished on different schedules, earlier changes which are signed off are silently merged into the production release (monthly updates). Those changes are disabled by default, waiting to be enabled by feature controls.

MS smooths out the releases by sneaking little bits of the finished parts into each monthly update. It's planned months in advance. When the time comes to activate it, they ship a smaller Enablement Package which flips the registry switches to reveal the hidden code.

Smart people can figure when those advanced features have shipped early, and use ViveTool/mach2 to play with them. Other users can get them randomly because MS will use a scheduled task to pick users for early testing.

NTLite doesn't modify or track what hidden, upcoming features are inside any given update package. They're just components to install or remove, and it doesn't know about feature controls. That would make NTLite too complicated.

If you wanted to enable them: run ViveTool on a live system, export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides to your image.
Yes I understand what you're saying, however I've tried both vivetool and regedit to no avail, I cannot enable these "Moment" features at all. For example if I create the relevant key and dword for enabling the task manager shortcut in the taskbar, upon reboot it is not enabled and the same happens if I use vivetool to enable it. I've verified that the relevant cumulative update is installed but still nothing. I was just unsure if there was something in my XML causing this to happen.

Remove ReconcileFeatures from Scheduled Tasks, it resyncs the allowed features and if you're deemed "ineligible" -- resets those changes.
Of course, you need to be at a minimum build version (update) that supports a given feature.

Remove ReconcileFeatures from Scheduled Tasks, it resyncs the allowed features and if you're deemed "ineligible" -- resets those changes.
Of course, you need to be at a minimum build version (update) that supports a given feature.
I just tried this but still haven't been able to get the new features enabled, I'm on build 22621.819 which I believe is new enough to at least enable the Task Manager shortcut (not sure about the search box). I will most likely end up reinstalling soon anyway with a new ISO + preset since WU on this install is having the error I originally posted about.

Back