CapFrameX does not detect my game

Pablerso

Hi, I have a problem that capframe does not detect my game, I have heard of Event Tracing (ETW) but I did not delete it and it keeps happening.

Attachments

• XML 1709.xml
    56.8 KB
It's the 'Diagnostics and Troubleshooting' component that is currently needed for CapFrameX game detection. Keep it until the next version, will see if possible to split the needed portion of it.

Sorry for the delay, and thank your buddy Matishzz over Twitter for bringing this to my attention.

It's true I am not supposed to be hunting dependencies all day as it's the expected nature of component removal, but I am interested when more people are influenced by it, same like there are compatibility options for Spotify, NVidia driver etc.

Keep me updated, I'll post here if a smaller component or a fix is in the next update.

Thanks.

It's the 'Diagnostics and Troubleshooting' component that is currently needed for CapFrameX game detection. Keep it until the next version, will see if possible to split the needed portion of it.

Sorry for the delay, and thank your buddy Matishzz over Twitter for bringing this to my attention.

It's true I am not supposed to be hunting dependencies all day as it's the expected nature of component removal, but I am interested when more people are influenced by it, same like there are compatibility options for Spotify, NVidia driver etc.

Keep me updated, I'll post here if a smaller component or a fix is in the next update.

Thanks.
Thank you very much for answering, I forgot to mention that this problem happens to me in all builds, I tried in (1709, 1809, 20H2 and Windows 8.1) I currently tried in 8.1, I kept the component 'Diagnostics and Troubleshooting' and still did not detect the game, now I will try in 1709.

Last edited:
Did you use the above preset exactly? (minus Diagnostics)
Also more importantly try without the script Post-setup and REG integrations, as I don't have those in your preset.

Make sure to send me the fresh directly used preset without the Diagnostics, integrations of external scripts and REG, if you still see the problem without those.
Don't see how it would be possible if it worked on my side, retrying now from fresh - sometimes fixing one thing masked another as I use progressively edited image.

It worked fine, attached my exact preset after loading yours, keeping Diagnostics and VMWare drivers (unimportant).
Maybe try it first, then we see why would it break with additions.

Once you confirm, I'll work on splitting Diagnostics for the exactly needed bits, as it's a big component and waste to keep it all.

Attachments

• Auto-saved 1ebbf0e1.xml
    55.6 KB
Last edited:
It worked fine, attached my exact preset after loading yours, keeping Diagnostics and VMWare drivers (unimportant).

Once you confirm, I'll work on splitting Diagnostics for the exactly needed bits, as it's a big component and waste to keep it all.
Hi Nuhi, I just tried again in 1709, it worked, keep ''Diagnostics and Troubleshooting'' seems to have solved the problem, it seems that in Virtual Machine did not detect the game, so I had not been fixed, I currently tried in on my pc and works fine.
I will try different builds and let you know how it goes.

Hi Nuhi, if it's worth I would like to comment that for me in 20H2 and 1909 CapFrameX works correctly without keeping "Diagnostics and Troubleshooting" and "Event Tracing for Windows".

Hi Nuhi, I just tried again in 1709, it worked, keep ''Diagnostics and Troubleshooting'' seems to have solved the problem, it seems that in Virtual Machine did not detect the game, so I had not been fixed, I currently tried in on my pc and works fine.
I will try different builds and let you know how it goes.
Great.
In a VM, make sure to install its guest drivers, e.g. VMWare Tools for VMWare ones, then it works.
Do let me know if newer Windows 10 are fine without Diagnostics when you get to it.

Hi Nuhi, if it's worth I would like to comment that for me in 20H2 and 1909 CapFrameX works correctly without keeping "Diagnostics and Troubleshooting" and "Event Tracing for Windows".
Interesting, then it could be older Windows only, probably MS split the needed functionality elsewhere later.
Then I would not spend time on splitting.
Thanks.

I just tested in 1809, keeping ''Diagnostics and Troubleshooting'' CapFrameX works perfectly as well as in 1709.

Alright, the others are:
- Event Log (as CapFrameX guys correctly hinted EWF, this is its core service)
- and .NET Framework 4 Presentation Foundation Core, as it seems to be a .NET application

When editing images, as opposed to deployed Windows (e.g. C:\Windows directly), enable OOBE compatibility as well - 1709 may need changes if going extreme (working on it).
Those OOBE components can be removed after setup.

And be careful about driver requirements, those are out of scope here, always enable Host Machine compatibility and/or VM of choice at least.

That's it as far as I see, let me know if anyone has a preset that breaks it, also make sure your tweaks and scripts are not doing it.

Alright, the others are:
- Event Log (as CapFrameX guys correctly hinted EWF, this is its core service)
- and .NET Framework 4 Presentation Foundation Core, as it seems to be a .NET application

When editing images, as opposed to deployed Windows (e.g. C:\Windows directly), enable OOBE compatibility as well - 1709 may need changes if going extreme (working on it).
Those OOBE components can be removed after setup.

And be careful about driver requirements, those are out of scope here, always enable Host Machine compatibility and/or VM of choice at least.

That's it as far as I see, let me know if anyone has a preset that breaks it, also make sure your tweaks and scripts are not doing it.
I just tried with 1803 and it doesn't work. I kept all EventLog and Diagnostics components.
First I tried on VMWare but it doesn't work (Even installing VMWare Tools). Then I tried it on my PC but it doesn't work either.

The only different thing is that I disabled the services that the diagnostics component adds. However on 1709 and 1809 it worked without problems even disabling the services.

I just tried with 1803 and it doesn't work. I kept all EventLog and Diagnostics components.
First I tried on VMWare but it doesn't work (Even installing VMWare Tools). Then I tried it on my PC but it doesn't work either.

The only different thing is that I disabled the services that the diagnostics component adds. However on 1709 and 1809 it worked without problems even disabling the services.
Bit fishy that it's just 1803 and those around it are fine, it's more likely that you did something different.

Anyway, logically do not disable those services if they are needed, and let me know when you confirm.
I might put a lock on those services when the compatibility is enabled.

If you see a problem with just removals and no manual tweaking, including service disabling, let me know.
These 3 are a must keep when testing this:
Diagnostics
Event Log
.NET Framework 4 Presentation Foundation Core

Bit fishy that it's just 1803 and those around it are fine, it's more likely that you did something different.

Anyway, logically do not disable those services if they are needed, and let me know when you confirm.
I might put a lock on those services when the compatibility is enabled.

If you see a problem with just removals and no manual tweaking, including service disabling, let me know.
These 3 are a must keep when testing this:
Diagnostics
Event Log
.NET Framework 4 Presentation Foundation Core
I just tested leaving the necessary components and default services, it still doesn't work. I tested it in virtual machine installing "VMware Tools".

I just tested leaving the necessary components and default services, it still doesn't work. I tested it in virtual machine installing "VMware Tools".
Well, then please attach that exact preset, and make sure it is true without any extra tweaks which I would not see when testing.

Thanks.

Well, then please attach that exact preset, and make sure it is true without any extra tweaks which I would not see when testing.

Thanks.
I tried several times in virtual machine and something very strange just happened; at first it detected the game and everything worked correctly, then I restarted the virtual machine; I did everything exactly the same but this time it did not detect the game. Other times that I used the same preset it never detected the game, now it detected it once but it only worked until I restarted the virtual machine.

PS: I also downloaded the latest version of NTLite and used the CapFrameX compatibility, but it still didn't work.

Thanks, will let you know when I try in a day or so.
Noted the extra reboot requirement.
You also make sure that something wasn't applied after setup via your setupcomplete or whatever and it disabled the necessary service, as it sounds like that is happening if first reboot it works.
Just mentioning it in case it's something obvious, of course if only the core tool was used when testing this, then allow me to report back.

Thanks, will let you know when I try in a day or so.
Noted the extra reboot requirement.
You also make sure that something wasn't applied after setup via your setupcomplete or whatever and it disabled the necessary service, as it sounds like that is happening if first reboot it works.
Just mentioning it in case it's something obvious, of course if only the core tool was used when testing this, then allow me to report back.
The preset does not add any scripts or registry changes. It only removes components, it does not disable services.

About the reboot. In 1709 if you remove the Diagnostic component there are times that in the first start CapFrameX works, but if you reboot a couple of times it stops working.
The same thing happens to me with 1803 but this time I have all the necessary components.

OK, used the new preset on 1803, installed, works, then rebooted and retested 10 times.

Now, to catch this pokemon:
- only thing other than preset that I did was installing old DirectX runtime as the game needs it, and VMWare Tools of course (used NTLite - Post-setup - Add - Template - VMWare Tools, if you have VMWare installed it is enabled)
- did you test the same environment on a full 1803 to be certain it's the edits, same reboot method?
- which game are you testing with in VMWare?

Thanks.

Back