CDPUserSVC service error

crypticus

2 Questions that really important and i have to solve

First one: windows 10 sometimes fails to Download updates (delta updates) not on every machine. it seems random to me. does anybody knows why? (i know it looks like azureplugin when you look at my preset but since its random i cannot test it. i think ntlite should know what causes windows update problems in these cases)

Second one: if windows updates succesfully after latest updates 16.11.2017 now. it gives this error. "CDPUserSVC service error" shown on pic. does anybody knows why? If i press ok. it will re open after 10-30 secconds or when i restart explorer.exe.... this service cannot be disabled from services.msc and changes the numbers at the end everytime pc reboots.

(if i change start parameter to 4 from 2 from registery i can bypass the error) but it is not a valid solution.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDPSvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDPUserSvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

View attachment 103

note: (i deleted oldnewexplorer and aeroglass and startisback++) it seems i still get this error. it is not 3rd party software related. it is ntlite's removal related

Last edited:
@ege914, thanks for the report.

- delta updates, as mentioned earlier in one of your topics, it relies on delta/difference between full patched Windows and the next patch. So naturally that removing components breaks that baseline.
If you know of a tweak to disable delta updates, let me know. Otherwise, as mentioned, download a full CU manually when it breaks, from here.
Why on some machines, probably depends what the CU updates in comparison to the previous one (the delta), and if one of those pieces is removed.

- CDPUserSvc issue after CU install on a lite OS, testing now, will report back. I'm interested in those kinds of reports to perfect the CU after removal support.

p.s. fixed the title for you

TPM removal seems to break CU install, to begin with. Maybe you didn't notice the post-reboot CU reversion, it is easy to miss, looks like it worked but no.
Also that reminds me of a report in another topic, a person states that "Location" and "Trusted Platform Mobile (TPM)" are breaking LTSB updating.
Just mentioning in case you cannot wait, if you keep those two, it might solve your issues, but I would wait until I'm done and have it fully working with your preset.

Working on it.

that was fast thank you! but i cannot test it because this delta update problem only happens at the seccond delta update..
let me explain the issue

when i first install my edited iso. windows update will update my pc without any problems. even if there is a delta update being downloaded and installed.
but for a month later when microsoft releases another delta update. my pc will not download it. (i'm not talking about installing, pc even won't download the delta update.)

that is why i cannot test the problem. when i setup a pc, it will always update succesfully. i have to wait 30 days etc to test the problem after each change... thats why i couldn't solve it. but if the problem is them, then i will keep tpm and location thanks. i will be here if you find anything else about this updating issue and cdpuser error...

TPM fixed, so you won't need to keep it in the next version.
Also I suggest waiting for the next, or pre-release version before Host Refreshing or reinstalling, sending you an email with it.
I see you remove Location as well, but I have no issues installing the cumulative update any more, so feel free to remove Location as well.

To simulate your situation I update to previous CU, then apply the latest, no need to wait for 30 days to see if the current issue is fixed.

For example with TPM, its piece was mistakenly removed with Bitlocker, which is not difficult to mixup since they are intertwined.

That said, in regards to CDP popup and similar seemingly random issues, it can happen if CU install is aborted and reverted.
Don't underestimate Host Refresh method in polishing issues like these.
Meaning: get full ISO, latest CU, your preset, and you are back where you are, latest updated cleanly and all settings and apps are there, within 30-ish min.
Of course make sure to report any problem like that, with the preset used, CU1->CU2 vers, and it will be fixed so in the future it is less likely to fail.

But to simulate my stuation you need to update to previous CU okay but

then you need to use windows update to see if it is downloading the delta update. you should not install it manually with downloaded cab file... cuz problem starts with downloading part from wu service

----

so for the delta update problem i don't have to change my preset. it will be fixed when i use new ntlite...

----

about the cdpusersvc problem, i dont revery updates and it is random if windows update cycle is broken... so if i dont want the error i have to be carefull about updates or i have to disable the error as i mentioned via reg

waiting for new ntlite version thanks!

Last edited:
Testing with test version without anychanges in my preset. will share the results. i will test in 2 ways

with full update
and then manual install of old delta update + windows update...

will share results for both

Last edited:
i tested my same preset with the new ntlite you send me via mail.
there was still problem when i install old delta update (delta 10) via cab. and then try to update to new delta (delta 11) via windows update. it was stuck at downloading at %45

so i went back to ntlite and enabled tmp and locaiton and it was fixed. i don't know which one fixed it but. i enabled them both because i don't want any OTHER bugs in the future. with another option...

and the error CDPUserSVC is not caused by ntlite. it is caused by this code i used to tweak my system.
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f > nul

Last edited:
Updated to 5790, let me know if you see any leftover issues with cumulative updates, except the occasional delta being unsupported - for that please download full CU from the aforementioned catalog.
And take into account your findings about which tweaks break what.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with, thanks.

Back