Components in boot.wim

tistou77

Hello

To be able to install Windows correctly, which components are required in boot.wim ?

Thanks

Last edited:
My preset pack might have a barebone bootwim preset for windows 7, prolly in the archive folder. If not put a request in that topic and someone will upload it hopefully. I may have it somewhere. If you want to shrink boot.wim on 8.1 or later then adapt it, load a w7 image, your required os and compare both.

Unless you are worried about iso size because you will burn a dvd then shrinking the boot.wim serves no purpose.
Delete the PE part but keep Microsoft Windows Setup.

It's mostly to reduce the boot.wim (and remove the components that I do not need)
I do not know if the "winpe", etc ... are mandatory, I would test

Thanks

WinPE isnt used by the majority of home users and can be easily removed.
Its in the archive folder, w7 bootwim barebone v2, built on ntlite 1.2.0.4433.

Im suprised you asked because you have been here(and the old place) for a long time and you havnt tried before.

Last edited:
tistou77 might be better off using your preset ultraform mine is very old and nuhi has changed the xml layout since then, i dont know if it will load/load correctly on the current release.

Of course, no worries
I asked because the boot.wim of the 1809 has a size of ~ 210MB and that of the 1903 ~ 250MB (with same preset)

Untouched boot.wim on ltsc 1809 is 389mb.
Remove 1 driver and delete PE and its 328mb. 60mb isnt enough for me to worry about.
I cant fully remember the results on 7, i dont think the result was great but it could be a deal breaker if burning to dvd and that was the point of the exercise.

Last edited:
To be able to install Windows correctly, which components are required in boot.wim ?
Hi tistou77

How small is your 1903 boot.wim?

I have attached the preset with the components that i keep (had to disable protections to save the list), if you need to integrate drivers to the boot.wim image, keep Windows component database and store, once the drivers are set, you can remove both components.

The image goes down to 165 MB but i have removed some more files after mounting the image and no drivers are integrated. Has been installed in VirtualBox but probably i can remove some more components.

With a lot of delay (I did not have any notification)
boot.wim does 236Mb
Your boot.wim is almost 70MB less and I can not delete anything with NTLite

Components that I keep

Last edited:
Back