Couple of questions about Drivers and stuff in NTLite

Saaglem

Windows 8.1 x64
1)
Is there a way that I can disable the host machines drivers being automatically imported into an image? I unticked the option to use host machine in the settings but it still use this machine’s driver list. I have 5 machines, each with a different OS, different architecture and when I create a image for each then the other machine's Intel chipset drivers cannot be updated due to this machines driver update is a higher version. This is not a problem, but it comes into mind that some machine's hardware give's issue's due to incompatible chipset driver and then I cannot remove it and when I can I then get BSOD's. Some machines only use an older version of chipset drivers. Moreover, I prefer the manual install of drivers, not the installer but the driver itself. I've been trying the driver installer in NTLite about 20 times and every time I regret using that option, and then format and redo it manually. So, yeah, only manually on that one for me thank you. The only driver I would like to install is the pre-Sata driver on boot with a new install and this doesn’t work on my machine.... again I can ONLY install it manually.
2)
Asimov removal. Can it be done? If I remove it, I get an error that the OS cannot be installed on this machine! I want to remove telemetry because I'm English and every bloody time I brows to a website it keeps on converting the f@%,"^(@ language to the local language of the country that I’m in. Some sites do not have the language option and then I'm stuck. I don't blame the language, I blame the browser not excepting the fact that I ONLY want everything in English.....and that is only done via telemetry. Seeked far and wide to look for a beter salution.
3)
If I disable the "NVidia option in privacy to not use experience" I get a lot of browser errors that the graphics card has blocked images to it's driver (see image). If I leave it enabled and just not install this option from the driver pack list, I normally just delete the folder in the pack, and then I don't get this error's. Any idea's on this? Or might it be something new in the manufacturer’s driver list that they include? Can’t find a definitive answer on this on the net, just speculation.
4)
Lastly, I didn't change a thing in my preset, but a new issue arrived that I'm battling to phathom. Normally If you double click on a ISO in windows then windows loads that image with virtual disk almost immediatly. Lately if I click on it I have to wait for it about 3 to 5 min before it loads. Any idea's on this. Yes I remove Hyper-V, but this I have been doing for many moons. Maybe it's me screwing around with too many registry settings that screw up the virtual machine?

Thanx in advance.

Cheers

Can you attach the preset file? Not sure why it would import drivers from host if asked not to. There isn't really a proper way to include nvidia drivers in an image, would be better to install after the fact. Which browser are you using for websites?

The NVidia I do manually by just removing what I dont use, see pic off what I install by default ...all drivers I prefer to do manually with dpinst.exe. Browser is Firefox, switched to firefox quantum thaught it would solve the graphics error but didn't. In the NVidia pic there is a added exe file, gpuset.exe, it just transfer the graphics settings back into the NVidia folder so I don't have to redo the settings every time I install the driver. Driver still gets installed automatically with dpinst.

NOTE !!!
Before using the preset, at the bottom of the preset I made changes to show you what I add after the NTLite edit to add these files before creating the ISO. Also, bare in mind that the total number of reg files I include in the install is crazy. In the manual.exe there are 52 exe files, each file that install contain a reg file for that program, inclosed inside the exe file to prevent or control the output or update or whatever I don't like it is doing when it is installed. The manual.exe contains about 11 more reg files, about 450kb total, to completely change the desktop, folder views, mail, layout, taskbar, usb and drive allocation drive letters, browser layout done by transfer only the json script files and bookmarks, the icon views and group policy is done by gpol.exe file. This too is modification of files.... Reg files change almost everything on my machine and the group policy do what the registry files can't and then there are the script for services to disable also in the works. Basically my windows work and feel like Vista for me when it’s done, but with a newer touch. App store is almost non existant, the same with skydrive and all the other crap. I am not a horder, if I stumble over something twice without using it I remove or chuck it away. Some files I add by opening NTLite, shut it down, go to the temp folder, change and add additional files in almost all the folders, mostly changes to occur when installing and to reduce the manual.exe folder since manual.exe is a folder that constantly change due to program updates or changes.

Once this install is done and stops on the desktop, 20 min has passed and everything is setup to my liking and I only click reboot, just like to do something you know. lol

This took me months to perfect on my machine!

In due time I will play with vista and win8 to see if I cannot combine the 2 of them, just as a project....nothing is impossible!

Is the host machine the same as where you are testing the ISO? There are alot of changes being made. If I were troubleshooting this issue, I would start with vanilla windows 8.1 image and add drivers and modify nothing else, verify that there is a working process for this that is repeatable and works for all the individual machines. I would also only start with storage and network drivers and verify no problems. Then rinse and repeat with drivers and component removals only. I would just see how far I get and then add the other customizations on top of that. At least this way we can figure out where the problem begins to present.

As far as an ISO taking a long time to mount, I would think either antivirus or weird shell extensions would be the cause. Are you just using windows defender?

I actually do not test the image in any virtaul. I have a separate laptop to run tests on if I think or feel it's not right or not sure. Since the virtuals use the same machine's hardware it can be dodgy...so no. Thing is this, it auto takes the chipset drivers without option to add or remove. If I take a win 7 machine then the chipset drivers gets installed in that image without doing anything. I do not want any drivers to install to any OS I do. Only the default windows drivers is fine.....except if the default driver gets imported automaticaly by NTLite since it's been edited on a machine with a higher chipset version and NTLite import this driver since it's never than the default driver in than image!

I only use ESET. Defender is completely removed from the system.

What I will do is build a new win 7 and win8.1. Only open, remove just something, close and reimage. Then check and I'll then get back to you.

OK. Think I've found the virtual drive issue. Will check, but I think if you remove the Hyper-V SCSI Controller it screws up the VHD in virtual machine for windows. Will check and let you know.

Ok. Virtual delay issue is caused by Eset antivirus. When using the regfile to import settings it also transfer the array order which gets cocked up, causing the mounting delay.
The graphics error I'm still working on. It is not the driver, nor antivirus causing the issue. Might be a telemetry issue....will check and let you know.
Here's one for the books. If you install VMware on the machine you rip with NTLite then NTLite makes it part of the installation. This is the same thing happening with chipset drivers. I installed NTLite on a standalone and installed only windows and dotnet on it....no drivers and the rip is fine. Once I install the chipset on that standalone and rip again with the same preset, fresh iso then the chipset gets transferd to the ripped OS.
Number 3 at the top.......NVidia experience, not the preset or the removal of it, nor NTLite issue that I can find. Will report on this once I find it.

Last edited:
Update. Found the graphics error issue. It looks like NVidia driver causes Firefox browser error if the machine has 2 graphics cards and the SLI option is not Enabled. If I enable the SLI I don't get the errors no more. Whether I use the full default driver version or a broken down version of the driver, once I disable the SLI after the next restart when I browse with Firefox I get a constant browser freeze at first and then a browser block from the driver section and then my error logs quickly fills up with driver errors.

Ok. Just posting a fix for the graphics error on Mozilla Firefox. Simply disable "Use hardware acceleration when available" in Mozilla will fix the driver issue. Whether single GPU or two....it fixes it. Cheers

Back