Customize Windows 10 drive indexing options

juanc

Hi all,
Can NTLite app be used to customize the drive indexing options before installing Windows 10 in the installer or wim file as applicable?.
When you install Windows 10 on a partition which is assigned as C drive letter, can the default indexing option be set as off right thru the installation as a possible customization.
I use my own other tools for various indexing needs and do not need windows default indexing. After windows is installed on system drive and when I set it off manually, the whole process of applying changes runs for hours.
So does NTLite support such customization, so can you please guide me how to set it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;LTSC-DISABLE-SEARCH-INDEXING-V2.reg
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WSearch]
"Start"=dword:00000004
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WSearchIdxPi]
"Start"=dword:00000004
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"AllowCortana"=dword:00000000

;LTSC-DISABLE-INDEXING-ON-REMOVABLE-DRIVES.reg
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"RemovableDriveIndexing"=dword:00000001

NTLite - Settings may have some for Search, its late and im too tired to look.
If not, make a reg file with the code above and add it to the Registry page. Search is needed by other programs, Avast springs to mind.
Everything by VoidTools is highly regarded.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Can NTLite app be used to customize the drive indexing options before installing Windows 10 in the installer or wim file as applicable?.
When you install Windows 10 on a partition which is assigned as C drive letter, can the default indexing option be set as off right thru the installation as a possible customization.
I use my own other tools for various indexing needs and do not need windows default indexing. After windows is installed on system drive and when I set it off manually, the whole process of applying changes runs for hours.
So does NTLite support such customization, so can you please guide me how to set it? Thanks in advance for your help.
Currently it doesn't have that option, other than disabling the indexing service as Clanger suggested (you don't have to use the REG files for that, there is the Windows Search service in Settings-Services).

Will add RemovableDriveIndexing to Settings, thx Clanger.

If anyone knows an option to disable indexing by default for new partitions, I'm also interested.

Thanks.

nuhi RemovableDriveIndexing is a pain in the bum because system volume folder shows on usb keys when you use them with hifi equipment :mad:.
i might have got that tweak from MT_ 's w10 pack or from TairikuOkami's file, it may not be mine. If i remember correctly adding them into an image doesnt break setup. MT_ may have(i think he does) search and indexing tweaks in his pack, the ping should waken him from his crypt.

Last edited:
Thanks Clanger & nuhi
For a new partition created which is empty initially, it does not pose an issue because the setting gets applied quickly. However when C drive is loaded with Windows 10 then disabling specific indexing option on C drive takes a long time.
The .REG file is simply going to disable indexing service right from Windows installation. I want to keep it running because I want to selectively apply indexing to certain drives from root to all subfolders therein.
Also it seems the setting is not stored in registry. On my test setup I took snapshots of the registry before and after applying this setting to C drive & compared but I could not find any meaningful or relevant changes that could be pushed thru registry.

Nevertheless, any further inputs on this topic are always welcome.

Back