Customizing default user profile

Jeco

Hello,
i'm building a customized Windows 10 (1909-64) image like i did on Window XP in the past with Nlite.
The copy-profile method took my into deep trouble.

Up to now i
- remove unwanted Windows Store Apps with Ntlite
- define a custom start-menu by LayoutModification.xml
- make some tweaks with Ntlite
How can i
- Remove or pre-select the first-user-logon-question marathon (Position, assistant, handwriting ... very annoying imho)
- delete existing Reg keys from the dafault user (example: remove 3D Objects)
- set my own Desktop wallpaper-image (read something about $OEM$ folder but how does ist work)

Thank you very much for any hints!

Kasual can you post a link to your $OEM$ folder layour post please :) and i want to post it in my siggy because i can never remember where the blasted thing is :D

Jeco whatever is inside the $OEM$ folder gets copied over during installation, NTLite creates this folder with certain options, notably on the Apply page. $$ is the equivalent of the windows folder, $1 the equivalent of the root of the drive, C: . wait for Kasuals reply for a full overview :)

Jeco $OEM$ Distribution Folders. thats from XP days but you get the idea. think things may have changed a bit in w10.
ive had to brush up on this myself so i created some folders and files(empty .txt files) called Test and placed them in various places and did a test install, dont worry, it will not harm your system.

you will not be abble to change wallpapers and themes until windows is activated, i posted this elsewhere recently.

Last edited:
Kasual can you post a link to your $OEM$ folder layour post please :) and i want to post it in my siggy because i can never remember where the blasted thing is :D

Is it?

How can i
- Remove or pre-select the first-user-logon-question marathon (Position, assistant, handwriting ... very annoying imho)
- delete existing Reg keys from the dafault user (example: remove 3D Objects)
- set my own Desktop wallpaper-image (read something about $OEM$ folder but how does ist work)

- In Unattended page - SkipUserOOBE & SkipMachineOOBE and add user account (look in toolbar)
- some tweaks seen in tenforums, integrate in Reg page
- Is it?

it looks like it Kas but im sure you posted a pic grab like the link i posted above. i didnt want to end up double posting what you already did. think he has enough to go on now, thanks Bud :)

Hey, thanks for the replies @all

Some things i got done:
- Remove 3D Objects from "My Computer" by deleting it in REG
- Background Image by replacing img0.jpg file in mountfolder

I'm still truggling with the first logon question screens.
If i use SkipOOBE the questions regarding position, handwriting, telemetrie, online... etc. seem to be set to MS default: Activate them all
But i want to disable these things vor all users on the machine.
I would like to preselect "Don't share position, telemetrie etc ... " far all users.

Any ideas?
thx

I'm still truggling with the first logon question screens.
If i use SkipOOBE the questions regarding position, handwriting, telemetrie, online... etc. seem to be set to MS default: Activate them all
But i want to disable these things vor all users on the machine.
I would like to preselect "Don't share position, telemetrie etc ... " far all users.

Any ideas?
Go to settings page and use filter.

Last edited:
Thx Kasual for the hint but i can't find a solution there.
If a user logs on to the system for the first time, he has to answer several questions like:
- Use online- Speechinput
- Share position with Microft and Apps
- Send Telemetry data (full, simple)
- Improve handwriting
I'd like to pre-answer these questions, so that the user is no being asket during first logon or he can not decide himself.

2nd thing i'm still struggling with is:
In \sources\ i created subfolder: $OEM$\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and put some *.lnk in that folder.
I expected that these files are being copied to the system during installation. But they are not copied.
What am i doing wrong?

Thank you for reply!

Thx Kasual for the hint but i can't find a solution there.
If a user logs on to the system for the first time, he has to answer several questions like:
- Use online- Speechinput
- Share position with Microft and Apps
- Send Telemetry data (full, simple)
- Improve handwriting
I'd like to pre-answer these questions, so that the user is no being asket during first logon or he can not decide himself.

2nd thing i'm still struggling with is:
In \sources\ i created subfolder: $OEM$\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and put some *.lnk in that folder.
I expected that these files are being copied to the system during installation. But they are not copied.
What am i doing wrong?

Thank you for reply!
I'll make some time for it but you have to make a correction:

$OEM$\$1\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\

I made a big mistake and got deleted the partition containing NTLite + previous versions + presets + reg files, I'll start from zero. :rolleyes:

may not the correct question for this topic, but do you know how to integrate the old calculator in W10 ISO?
I do and keep the new calc.

Backup from Windows 8:
Windows\System32\calc.exe
Windows\System32\??-??\calc.exe.mui
Windows\SysWOW64\calc.exe
Windows\SysWOW64\??-??\calc.exe.mui

And copy to:
\sources\$OEM$\$$\System32\calc.exe.mui
\sources\$OEM$\$$\System32\??-??\calc.exe.mui
\sources\$OEM$\$$\SysWOW64\calc.exe
\sources\$OEM$\$$\SysWOW64\??-??\calc.exe.mui

??-?? is related to your language, backup from Win 7 also works here.

Kasual ouch, that must hurt :(
yes, I think I was sleepy Either My Mind Absent when this happened.
Tried to recover but not possible, tried to install 2004 x64 but didn't got installed in the wrong drive, 1 out of 2 partitions recovered with easy.

may not the correct question for this topic, but do you know how to integrate the old calculator in W10 ISO?
forgot this:
sources\$OEM$\$1\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ localized Calculator Name.lnk

yes, I think I was sleepy Either My Mind Absent when this happened.
Tried to recover but not possible,

i reckon you was tired, its painful when it happens and you cant always find what you lost online, luckily i had the really important stuff backed up on multiple dvd's :) on the upside its one way to clear out all the crap :p

Backup from Windows 8:

And copy to:

In this case, when I download the old calculator for Windows 10, has all the languages and I could transfer with all languages?
And also I check the location for it and is different is on Windows Accessories in Ghost Spectre ISOs

In this case, when I download the old calculator for Windows 10, has all the languages and I could transfer with all languages?
And also I check the location for it and is different is on Windows Accessories in Ghost Spectre ISOs
- I prefer a trusted Calc copy.
Only get the mui files for your language
- Do you care for the shortcut location?
You can put a shortcut copy wherever you want to (Desktop, Programs\Custom folder... - for all users/current user).

I set up the calc shortcut in Programs and set in unattended file the taskbar shortcut for the calc.

Backup from Windows 8:

And copy to:

And is calc.exe.mui ? not calc.exe?

Back