(Solved) autorun.dll not found (Host Refresh)

pmikep

If TL;DR, I'm getting an error that autorun.dll cannot be found.

Okay, after a long absence, I tried to do a Host Refresh of 1909 to 1909, using NTLite v2.0.0.7726.

If anyone recalls, the last time I tried this, Windows setup refused to work because it said I was trying to Refresh to an older version. Per nuhi, that was because the 1909 iso from MS was really 1903 with the 1909 patch.

After giving it some time (like, until today), I found a tool called mediacreationtool.bat that says it can download older images of Win10 from MS's Media Creation tool servers.

So I downloaded a 1909 image, which says it's 19H2. I'm hoping that is a stand alone 1909.

Cool. So next, I used NTLite's Host Refresh Wizard.

I recall getting a pop up window about an "unattended file missing." (Or something like that. I didn't take a screen shot.) First time I've seen that message. I didn't do anything with an unattended install. Nor do I ever.

Anyway, NTLite ran to completion. Then, when it started the setup.exe, I got a message that autorun.dll was missing or corrupt.

Well, it's not missing in the wim. I can see it. Whether it's corrupt or not, I do not know.

Last edited:
Just try to replace autorun.dll in sources folder with different one. Also this is indication, that image is broken somehow.
Older images can be downloaded using this without problem.

False alarm, I suppose. I tried it again after clearing the NTLite temp directory. This time NTLite completed and MS Setup started.

(Unfortunately for me, the 1909 image is apparently still a 1903, because MS won't let me keep my personal files and applications. Looks like I can never do a Host Refresh. Thanks, MS.)

False alarm, I suppose. I tried it again after clearing the NTLite temp directory. This time NTLite completed and MS Setup started.

(Unfortunately for me, the 1909 image is apparently still a 1903, because MS won't let me keep my personal files and applications. Looks like I can never do a Host Refresh. Thanks, MS.)
Yeah, this bothers me as well, will see if there is an alternative, like migrating settings independent from Windows upgrade step, or simulate/change to a higher version in order to enable upgrading.

I was hoping the official 2009 image will have this fixed, but no luck so far, I am surprised they are not bothered by this.

I ended up giving up on refreshing with1909 and refreshed to 2004 instead. (Which might be the better solution in the end.) I'll tell more about the many tricks that I tried to get 1909 to work in a different thread. (As for my initial report about autorun.dll not working, in retrospect I think that I was too quick on the trigger finger (sorry, non-native speakers, another idiom) and closed the 7-zip window before the file transfer to a wim directory was finished.)

Back