Does including the latest 'Cumulative Update' install features like Microsoft Edge?

califauna

Hi,

If I add the latest 'Cumulative Update' from Windows to the installer will this sometimes result in Edge or other features / components being added?

Do they still get added even if the features are disabled (unticked), or not appear, in the config?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes Chromium Edge is added and legacy Edge is disabled and partly removed, if you remove it and then install a cumulative update I believe it is added again but I have never tested it.

with 1909, install clean iso, update post install, reboot after CU Edge proudly announces itself at which point i tell it to go ---- itself.
microsofts way of forcing its stuff down your throat is what Gigers facehugger does.

Last edited:
with 1909, install clean iso, update post install, reboot after CU Edge proudly announces itself at which point i tell it to go ---- itself.
microsofts way of forcing its stuff down your throat is what Gigers facehugger does.
Windows 10 has a backdoor called Windows Update where Microsoft can do whatever it wants with your system without your consent. With Windows 10 who controls your machine is Microsoft not you, unfortunately. For this and other reasons I update the ISO remove everything I don't want and remove Windows Update completely.

not on my system. i paid for it, i built it and i will manipulate how i bloody well want to. ive only kept networking to i can connect pc/laptop to a network audio player using a crossover lan cable, machine direct to machine with no router. windows 10(etc etc etc) cant dial home if there is no line.

I just run a script as task everytime pc restarts, it removes edge and reapplies my setting reg.... i stopped fighting with ms bulshit, just adapting at every restart... i don't even remove components anymore except modern apps, i just disable them to get rid of any possible errors. yeah its my system but they made it... i remember first time i bought ntlite it was awesome to remove fckng everything.. but now, i sometimes even forget to enter my license since i don't even remove anything.

i don't even remove components anymore except modern apps, i just disable them to get rid of any possible errors.
To use Windows Update without any errors unfortunately this is the only way. There are scripts to unregister system apps but anytime Microsoft wants it can prevent this or force the return of those system apps with an update.

i stopped fighting with ms bulshit
I too but I just don't update :p or go back to Windows 7 or 8.1.

THanks for answers but not sure what the gist is with some of them. Chromium Edge isnt a thing I know of. I was referring to Microsoft Edge browser. By Chromiu Edge are you referrring to Microsoft Edge, which is based on Chromium?

In the add updates part of NTLite config for the image, its finding various updates like Microcode,, a .net framework update, and a 'Cumulative Update'. If I untick all instances of Edge (but leaving Edge HTML renderer) in the NTLite components and features options but add the 'Cumulative Update' found when pressing search for latest updates to the ISO, will this cumulative update result in Microsoft Edge (or other software/junk) being installed?

Chromiu Edge are you referrring to Microsoft Edge, which is based on Chromium?
Yes that's right. Microsoft has discontinued the old Edge so instead it is installing chromium-based Edge and disabling the old Edge.

If I untick all instances of Edge (but leaving Edge HTML renderer) in the NTLite components and features options but add the 'Cumulative Update' found when pressing search for latest updates to the ISO, will this cumulative update result in Microsoft Edge (or other software/junk) being installed?
It depends on how you do it. If you do everything in the same session then NTLite will first integrate the updates then remove the components so nothing you uncheck will be present. However you will not have unchecked the new Microsoft Edge as it was not present before the updates. The best thing to do then is to integrate all the updates and then in another session remove Edge and the other desired components.

If you add any recent cumulative update after removing components these components or most of them will be reinstalled. This is Microsoft design and there is nothing that can be done. NTLite has a feature called "Remove Reinstalls" for when this happens.

Last edited:
I solved Windows Update by installing WUMT and at the first start of this by setting the update mode to disable.
And MS Edge via NTLite, I remove all of this (including the "edgeupdate" update service) and install in Post-Setup Edge Business latest release + edgeupdate disable script.
Try it...

we don't have problems about removing or blocking edge. it works for a time, then boom its back like magic by diffrent method.

Yes that's right. Microsoft has discontinued the old Edge so instead it is installing chromium-based Edge and disabling the old Edge.

It depends on how you do it. If you do everything in the same session then NTLite will first integrate the updates then remove the components so nothing you uncheck will be present. However you will not have unchecked the new Microsoft Edge as it was not present before the updates. The best thing to do then is to integrate all the updates and then in another session remove Edge and the other desired components.

If you add any recent cumulative update after removing components these components or most of them will be reinstalled. This is Microsoft design and there is nothing that can be done. NTLite has a feature called "Remove Reinstalls" for when this happens.

COuld you let me know what you mean by 'in another session'? HOw do you start a new session in NTLite, and how do you do it in such a way that the stuff which is included in a 'CUmulative update' will apear in the features/components section of NTlite, so I can untick it?

we don't have problems about removing or blocking edge. it works for a time, then boom its back like magic by diffrent method.
As I suggested, there will never be CUs updating edge chrome because the automatic edge update service is disabled

auto edge update service and microsoft installing edge to your system are irrevelant. you are soooo wrong.
I am happy that you believe it but I invite you to consider that edge, derived from chrome, has its own independent update service (indeed double service) which has nothing to do with CU but happy you...
Have a good time

COuld you let me know what you mean by 'in another session'? HOw do you start a new session in NTLite, and how do you do it in such a way that the stuff which is included in a 'CUmulative update' will apear in the features/components section of NTlite, so I can untick it?
You can add updates and in the Apply option of the left menu select the combo box Stop before saving the image then load the image again in the Source option. This will integrate the updates and reload the image without unmounting it.

But I prefer to create an updated ISO and save it somewhere so I can do a lot of testing and not have to integrate the updates again.

I just add the updates and in the Apply option I leave the combo box in Save the image and trim editions to remove the extra editions that might exist and mark the options Don't backup log and preset and Create ISO then save the ISO in a safe place. When I want to remove stuff I mount the updated ISO with 2 clicks and copy the files back to a folder and load the updated image into NTLite.

I solved Windows Update by installing WUMT and at the first start of this by setting the update mode to disable.
And MS Edge via NTLite, I remove all of this (including the "edgeupdate" update service) and install in Post-Setup Edge Business latest release + edgeupdate disable script.
Try it...
Microsoft Edge installed by CU or by .msi are the same. This is the new chromium-based Microsoft Edge. The old Edge is disabled by CU. Maybe using setup takes up less disk space (I haven't tested this) but if you install Edge with any setup downloaded from the internet the CU will detect its presence and won't try to reinstall it. So it doesn't make much sense to disable Windows Update and Edge's auto update if you already have the new Edge installed. I think you're confusing old and new Edge.

For those who want to use the new Edge there is no problem installing a CU or leaving Windows Update enabled (considering only the issue of the Edge being reinstalled) the problem exists for those who do not want Edge.

You can add updates and in the Apply option of the left menu select the combo box Stop before saving the image then load the image again in the Source option. This will integrate the updates and reload the image without unmounting it.
When do I follow the step 'load the image again in the Source option' you mention? Before starting the process (by pressing the 'process' button), or at some point during the processing (after pressing the 'process' button)?

Last edited:
I need help with preventing certain software included in the 'Cumulative Updates' (in updates section) from appearing in the installer ISO created by NTlite.

Can anyone help with this? For example, Edge browser is not appearing in the 'Source' or 'Features' section of NTlite config, yet when the ISO is created and used to install Windows, Edge is there in the new installation. Is this becasue it is being included in the 'Cumulative Update' which has been added, and if so is NTlite capable of preventing this?

Checking 'Stop before saving image' then unloading and loading again the extracted original windows ISO does not make Edge appear in the features or source section (so, I can't untick it).

Back