Dumb question: Convert ESD to WIM so I never have to wait again

pmikep

I've never had to deal with esd's before. But my latest iso (for 2004) is an esd.

Okay, so when I double-click on Windows 10 Home, NTLite asks if I want to convert the image to the standard WIM format? ("Yes")

It takes a long time to uncompress an esd on my machine.

After 'Liting this iso about 10 times, it occurred to me that I ought to permanently convert the esd to a wim, because wim's load faster.

So I right click on the Windows 10 Home esd and am pleased to see "Export to WIM."

(But export to where? I assume the same folder as the esd?)

So I do it. The usual long time to uncompress, but I should be rewarded soon.

After it's done, I see a wim in my folder now. Yay!

So now I point NTLite to the Image Directory but am disappointed to see that NTLite is still showing only esd.

Aha! Now I notice that under "Add" that I can chose a wim. So I do that.

Success! BUT - it says "Isolated." NTLite gives me a warning that I cannot create an ISO from this wim, with a pop up window telling me that the only way that I can create an ISO is with the esd.

Is there a way that I can end my misery of waiting on the esd to uncompress?

While writing this, I just now saw that if I right click on the top level "install.esd" that I can Export ALL to wim.

But yikes! I didn't try it because that's gonna be 7 esd's to convert. That will take "forever."

Is there an easy way?

Okay, I found "convert to wim" under the Top Level "Operating Systems."

As I feared, it's doing all 7 of the various systems of Win10, although it's going faster after the initial one.

So, thanks.

Still, I wonder if nuhi can make it so that I can pick just one system?

ESD decompressing always needs time. If your image have install.esd then convert it all to install.wim and backup it for future use.

But most easiest way is export only needed edition, right click on edition you want and select export and you will be prompted for saving location.

1606173987655.png

Yes, but when I did that, and then loaded the wim, I got a message from NTLite that this was an "isolated" wim and so I could not use it to make an .iso.

you have to replace the standard wim with the isolated wim in the disc/iso structure, then you can make an iso.
you cant make an iso from an isolated/exported wim because it will not have any of the setup files and boot.wim.

I think I know what you're saying. I have to copy the new isolated wim over a previous wim in a previous disk structure (a previous image folder) so that everything is in place?

correct! that is also how you make a new iso using a captured wim, you replace the old/standard install.wim with the new one.

Last edited:
Or you can spare some time (do it over night? when you sleep) from maybe MCT (ESD) to UUP dump instead included lastest updates ready to slim down in NTL.

Back