Enable .NET 3.5 and remove Component Store

AeonX

When enabling .NET 3.5 pending operations appear (pending.xml in the WinSxS folder). If I remove Component Store is the .NET 3.5 installation completed?

In Windows 7 if I disable the feature "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" the pending operations also appear and removing the Component Store prevents the total uninstallation of XPS Document Writer (I don't remember how I found this I think some icons are still present). On Windows 10 this does not happen.

Because I have this doubt I always install Windows 10 in audit mode and capture the image to complete the pending operations and not have any problems. But doing this I have this problem below with NTLite:
https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/waas-assessment-access-is-denied.2179/

If it's safe to do this without audit mode and sysprep I would avoid the above problem and make it a much more practical process :)

I think this is a topic for nuhi but I created this topic because the answer might be useful for more people.

on 8.1 and ltsc i enable net 3.5 from setupcomplete, SS first then net 35. try adding disable xps after that but without the norestart switch.
because of the amount of updates i need to add to 7 and 8.1 i use the administrator account, add updates, sysprep immediately after a restart.

on 8.1 and 10, do the bits in setupcomplete, 1st logon as administrator, add updates(restart where needed), do the dism reset/cleanup, restart then sysprep. i think removals are better done on an updated capture wim but thats just my 2 minimal currency units worth.

Last edited:
XPS Document Writer only generates pending operations on Win7 (not tested on 8.1) on Win10 no. I don't think it was clear in my post.

i think removals are better done on an updated capture wim
I fully agree :) mainly on Win7 and 8.1. But on Win10 this should already be unnecessary. Edge Chromium also generated pending operations but when it was included in cumulative updates it stopped happening so it is fully possible to do this with .NET 3.5 but Microsoft is not interested in legacy software :(

i dont dism clean before sysprep, ntlite handles my w7 cap wims fine, i think nuhi added something to clear any pending operations. i think he posted something recently on the subject. check his name and recent posts. i wouldnt mind reading that post again.

Back