Error 0x00000005 '[5] Access is denied'

Ghred

Hi, all! I own a home license, and am running the latest NTLite version under Windows 7 x64 to customize Windows 10 Pro 1809 x64. I see a popup window with about 50 of these error messages at the end of driver integration every time I run NTLite. The drivers in question are of two types: (1) imported from the current OS, and (2) a few are manually specified.

I've tried taking ownership of all these driver files, but that doesn't help.

Would you kindly help me with this issue?

Thanks!

Hi, all! I own a home license, and am running the latest NTLite version under Windows 7 x64 to customize Windows 10 Pro 1809 x64. I see a popup window with about 50 of these error messages at the end of driver integration every time I run NTLite. The drivers in question are of two types: (1) imported from the current OS, and (2) a few are manually specified.

I've tried taking ownership of all these driver files, but that doesn't help.

Would you kindly help me with this issue?

Thanks!
That shouldn't happen, or require any extra steps.
Do you have some antivirus/antimalware/sandboxing that might interfere?
Try suspending it, at least whitelist NTLite.

Please attach the preset demonstrating the issue, so that I can try replicating it, thx.

It's Update integration that fails.

Thanks for your helpful replies! In this case, I'm not trying to integrate any updates. But I'll keep this in mind in the future so that I don't run NTLite under Windows 7 if I do need to integrate updates. THANK YOU all for providing this extremely useful information.

So unless someone advises otherwise, then I should be able to customize a Win 10 insttall under Windows 7? Note that this is the number one reason I purchased NTLite -- The MSMG toolkit and WinToolkit would not work correctly under Windows 7.

Last edited:
That shouldn't happen, or require any extra steps.
Do you have some antivirus/antimalware/sandboxing that might interfere?
Try suspending it, at least whitelist NTLite.

Please attach the preset demonstrating the issue, so that I can try replicating it, thx.

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for such a fine product! I'll want more knowledge and experience in correctly selecting elements to remove in the future, but that's my problem, not yours.

To answer your questions: I definitely disabled sandboxing in my Comodo personal firewall v11, as well as disabling HIPS protection. I've long ago disabled all Microsoft anti-malware, such as SmartScreen, Windows Defender, and all Windows firewalls. I also disabled Real-Time protection in my Avira AntiVir Pro, but its certainly possible that some Avira component has no user-selectable disabling option.

Next, I'm going to try dmd's recommendation to use PowerRun. But if I still see these errors, I will be happy to upload the presets I've used for your examination.

Thank you, and all of you, for your prompt and very helpful replies!

I did most of my initial 3-4 month long build tests (back when Win10 1709 was the latest) using a Win7 VM to run NTLite on a Win7 system. It took NTlite quite a bit longer to process certain hardware removals on the Win10 image but otherwise worked well.

Off base and certainly of less importance, perhaps, is that I noticed running a Win10 VM on my Win7 machine resulted in a much laggier Win 10 VM. In contrast after my live system was reinstalled using an NTLited Win10 the Win 7 VMs got laggier and so I ended up re-building most of my Windows based VMs as Win10 as well and had no more odd lag issues with them.

Thanks for your reply. I don't use any VMs, so perhaps I'm okay?

I also get "[5] Access Denied" when using Windows 7 x64 SP1 to customize a Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 iso. Error pops up when I disable absolutely everything and remove absolutely every Windows component. I can't even unmount image. It says sources\install.wim file is in use

PD: Access Denied appears when removing Drivers. If Drivers from the Components section isn't touched then no errors appear. I haven't had any driver integration issue so far, this only happens when removing windows drivers

Last edited:
Enormous thanks, dmd -- I want to report that using PowerRun solved ALL my problems! Perhaps it would not have been necessary if I had used a VM, but I've never been eager to use them. Using PowerRun made that unnecessary.

Thanks to all!

Back