Error [183] Cannot create a file when that file already exists

nate60227

I've looked all around for fixes but I can't find a solution. It's coming down to the point where I need to use this software for work now. I am getting the attached error code and no matter what I change my image directory, or temp I still get the same error. I was wondering what the fix for this was because I can't even open a single image file.

Thanks
Nate

Attachments

• NTLite Dir.png
    NTLite Dir.png
    42.8 KB
  • NTLite Error 183.png
    NTLite Error 183.png
    107.3 KB
NTLite stopped while converting install.wim from ESD to compressed format.

Two possibilities:
1. Check permissions on C:\Images folder, and the extracted image folder.

2. Did you recently update Windows? A messed up Servicing Stack update will break DISM. Check your Windows Update history, and uninstall the last SSU & reinstall it again. I had this problem before.

Last edited:
I've looked all around for fixes but I can't find a solution. It's coming down to the point where I need to use this software for work now. I am getting the attached error code and no matter what I change my image directory, or temp I still get the same error. I was wondering what the fix for this was because I can't even open a single image file.

Thanks
Nate
That is an unknown issue.

Try rebooting the machine, make sure no other tool/script is holding/mounting the image.

Start the tool.

Make sure no mounted images, if any, Unload them.

Then right-click and Forget the image folder in question.
Recopy fresh files to make sure the image file is valid.
Re-add it to the list and retry loading.

If it fails again, please attach %temp%\ntlite.log from that moment.

If in a hurry, install a virtual machine with a fresh (win10 or 11) OS install, it must work if image is not corrupted - but this error doesn't sound like it, more like it's something on the host, be it holding the image file or WIM engine got corrupted.

Thank you nuhi and garlin but unfortunately those fixes did not work for me. I had the tool working about 4 months ago and then I just gave up and over time with updates I thought it would fix itself. I've tried moving and creating new folders, and even new ISO's, clearing all my TEMP directory, and even relocating it. I know reimaging will fix the issue because I can't replicate the issue on another PC. Attached is my log file.

Is it possible that there are registry files that I could try clearing that may help? The only thing that I know I installed before it broke was Windows ADK tools. But I've since done a clean uninstall of that to try and eliminate the issue.

Attachments

• NTLite.log
    5.4 KB
Check your registry to see if there's leftover entries pointing to the ADK's folder location. Like another wofadk.sys driver.
When I had this problem myself, it wasn't NTLite but eventually pointed to ADK or recent SSU changes.

If you have System Restore check point before the ADK install, roll back to that.

That is an unknown issue.

Try rebooting the machine, make sure no other tool/script is holding/mounting the image.

Start the tool.

Make sure no mounted images, if any, Unload them.

Then right-click and Forget the image folder in question.
Recopy fresh files to make sure the image file is valid.
Re-add it to the list and retry loading.

If it fails again, please attach %temp%\ntlite.log from that moment.

If in a hurry, install a virtual machine with a fresh (win10 or 11) OS install, it must work if image is not corrupted - but this error doesn't sound like it, more like it's something on the host, be it holding the image file or WIM engine got corrupted.
So I reinstalled Windows 11 and tried downloading a fresh Windows 11 ISO with the same error in my Downloads folder. Fresh install of Windows.

What happens when you extract the WIM image manually?

cd sources
DISM /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:6 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity

If you have install.WIM instead of .ESD, change destination to a random filename.

I don't have a NT_dism.log but I do have the regular log file.
Thanks for the log.

It sure helps, but still don't know how was that caused:
1/20/2022 3:18:59 PM Error 1314 mounting image: C:\Users\nkritz\Downloads\Win11_English_x64v1\sources\install.wim - Windows 11 Pro

ERROR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD
A required privilege is not held by the client.

Are you a limited user, tampering with UAC somehow, part of a domain, have some group policies that limit access?

garlin, btw it's the mounting, there is no exporting in game from the beginning - see that it's install.wim in the screenshot.
edit: I see, you got sidetracked by the "create file" point. It's a silly part of C programming, it creates a file even when opening existing.

Thanks for the log.

It sure helps, but still don't know how was that caused:
1/20/2022 3:18:59 PM Error 1314 mounting image: C:\Users\nkritz\Downloads\Win11_English_x64v1\sources\install.wim - Windows 11 Pro

ERROR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD
A required privilege is not held by the client.

Are you a limited user, tampering with UAC somehow, part of a domain, have some group policies that limit access?

garlin, btw it's the mounting, there is no exporting in game from the beginning - see that it's install.wim in the screenshot.
edit: I see, you got sidetracked by the "create file" point. It's a silly part of C programming, it creates a file even when opening existing.
I am part of a domain and have local admin access to be able to click yes or no when starting up NTLite. I would have to investigate our GPO but I don't think we are limiting that route. I could try and remove myself from the domain, but on another computer that is part of the domain it works just fine. If there's anything else I could gather or test I'm 100% willing to do so.

Thanks

Check with your domain admin, if there's different security policies for the other system. This isn't something you're figuring out w/o their help.

Check with your domain admin, if there's different security policies for the other system. This isn't something you're figuring out w/o their help.
PS. I am a domain admin :) Not sure if the previous guy did anything to cause this. I'll get more info. Thanks

Back