Feature Suggestion - Silverlight & DirectX Redist

SM03

Hello nuhi

Here I'm suggesting another feature. Like the MSRT tool & other updates like CU & DotNet, if possible, kindly add the option to integrate the Silverlight & the DirectX Redist End-User Runtimes (June 2010) 9.29.1974 [18th April 2011] into the ISO directly while making a custom/modded ISO via NTLite, so that we don't have to install those separately each time after installing or reinstalling Windows.

Why Silverlight? MS killed it after 2013, and no modern browser or app requires it.
What's the advantage of direct integration, over a post-setup install? These products were never patched, just replaced with later builds.

Why Silverlight? MS killed it after 2013, and no modern browser or app requires it.
What's the advantage of direct integration, over a post-setup install? These products were never patched, just replaced with later builds.
For DirectX= Because every time I check for DirectX update via the WEB installer, that gives me that particular (DirectX) update which I mentioned here.

Silverlight: After installing Windows, I got that in Windows Update so that's why. If I don't install them then the Windows update will do that automatically.

So that's why I requested to add these so that I don't have to add/install this manually.

P.S: I know that MS killed Silverlight & that's obsoleted already, still don't know why MS keep pushing it via its WSUS server. Any idea?

Also about the DirectX, I didn't quite understand this statement "These products were never patched, just replaced with later builds. ". Can you clarify & be more descriptive?

MS will continue pushing dead products because there's a multi-year partner or licensing agreement they have to keep. The official line is Silverlight support ends in 2021, but no updates have shipped since 2013. Silverlight is marked optional, it's not automatic.

Distributed run-times for code frameworks (.NET, Visual C++) get patch updates all the time, but lesser libraries like DirectX don't. Silverlight & DirectX get point releases, which completely replace the previous ones. You can't patch them (except for security vulnerability) because they're not released that way.

DX9 shipped in XP, and everything afterwards moved to DX11.

I'm guessing one of your games installs DX9 for compatibility reasons (or is really old). Download the same DX9 release here, and use Post-Setup to install the executable. Pre-installing it will make your game happy, and pass WU checks.

Last edited:
Download the same DX9 release here, and use Post-Setup to install the executable. Pre-installing it will make your game happy, and pass WU checks.

I already have this & using that, & here in this post suggests, I am actually pointing towards that same package,
I used to play some classic old SPC sometime, maybe that's why the DirectX
Anyway, yeah, I already knew these are pretty useless, old & already obsoleted. And now after speaking with you, I feel like making a foolish thing by creating this suggestion post.

Thanks for your replies BTW. Good day.

Dear developers, are you planning to add an option to update Microsoft Store components?
This NTLite feature has been released for over a year.

You can download (free) Store or UWP package files, and add them under Updates.
PowerShell GUI for Downloading Microsoft Store Apps - W10_11StoreApps.ps1

If you have more questions on updating Store apps, please open a new thread topic. This thread is specifically about trying to directly integrate Windows run-times, most likely using a .WA distribution pack.

Back