Having trouble with my custom ISO (LTSC 1809)

henur28

Hello.
I've been trying out NTLite to customise my Windows image (Windows Enterprise 1809) for over a week
since I heard about it.

With every iterative custom ISO I made, I always tested it on VirtualBox and the last couple of tests
apparently didn't allow me to start programs as the administrator. I was sure because I was performing some special fixes that had to been done on the command line as the admin, which takes you to C:\Windows\System32 but it instead always takes me to the user home directory so I wasn't sure if any fixes I made would have the same effect.

So I tried to make changes to the ISO to allow me to run programs as the admin but then whenever I installed the OS, it kept restarting without end. Now my latest changes stopped the OS from installing updates during the initial installation stage and so couldn't finish setting up.

I have attached my working preset file here.
It is based on MT_'s LTSC Gaming/Poweruser profile https://www.ntlite.com/community/in...tely-break-everything-updated-2020-01-02.771/

So what am I doing wrong?

I want to be able to run programs as the administrator while retaining all of the changes MT_ had made as well as maximize my privacy in Windows.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Auto-saved session {AE5D5454-2D0F-4B8F-BA34-AFD913F2BB8E}.xml
    57 KB
Hi henur28,

thanks for reporting.

By looking at the attached preset it disables most of the services, that's a bit extreme for Windows setup to handle.
I suggest starting fresh and Resetting the Services changes after loading the preset and trying that (no service state changes).

Then if it fails, please attach and tell me what to look for.
This is the reason why I don't recommend sharing presets between users, it's better to start from nothing and build up than to debug someone else's taste/scenario.

Btw at the end of the message you say this is your working preset attached, next time I would need a broken one, unless you meant a current preset you're working on.

it disables most of the services, that's a bit extreme for Windows setup to handle.
I have had setup fail because of some disabled services before but dont ask which ones, i cannae remember :rolleyes:. You can do some basic ones like search/indexing, "some" defender ones(im certain it was one of these that caused the fail). In my humble opinion services are best done after 1st logon because you can set those whose services startup setting is greyed out(protected) by running a reg/bat/cmd file elevated with Power Run. :cool:

Hi henur28,

thanks for reporting.

By looking at the attached preset it disables most of the services, that's a bit extreme for Windows setup to handle.
I suggest starting fresh and Resetting the Services changes after loading the preset and trying that (no service state changes).
Sure, I'll give that a try as soon as I can.

Then if it fails, please attach and tell me what to look for.
This is the reason why I don't recommend sharing presets between users, it's better to start from nothing and build up than to debug someone else's taste/scenario.
Easier said than done, considering I'm new to this but okay.

Btw at the end of the message you say this is your working preset attached, next time I would need a broken one, unless you meant a current preset you're working on.
I posted my working preset in hopes anyone can identify what was causing the problems I mentioned in my first post.

Thank you.

I have had setup fail because of some disabled services before but dont ask which ones, i cannae remember :rolleyes:. You can do some basic ones like search/indexing, "some" defender ones(im certain it was one of these that caused the fail). In my humble opinion services are best done after 1st logon because you can set those whose services startup setting is greyed out(protected) by running a reg/bat/cmd file elevated with Power Run. :cool:
Disable the services after my first login?
Pardon me if this is a dumb question but how do I do that with a script file on Powershell then?

Thanks.

Aint a dumb question at all :). I dont use powersmell, just good old registry files and the command prompt.
PowerRun by Sordum is a handy and powerful utility because you can run any file with elevated persmissions. Even the Administrator account is limited bewcause MS dont allow it full control, PowerRun runs everything as Trusted Installer(full control and access).

Create a service registry file or bat/cmd file, drag them to PowerRuns ui, double click on the file then the reg settings will be applied or the commands from the bat/cmd file.

Aint a dumb question at all :). I dont use powersmell, just good old registry files and the command prompt.
PowerRun by Sordum is a handy and powerful utility because you can run any file with elevated persmissions. Even the Administrator account is limited bewcause MS dont allow it full control, PowerRun runs everything as Trusted Installer(full control and access).
Fascinating. I just followed that link and the whole website and the rest of the software it offers intrigues me.
I look forward to further looking through it today.

Sordum and NirSoft are absolute goldmines(take time to go through them both thoroughly, it'll be worth it) for handy little utilities some i use frequently, RegConvert(sordum) and RegfromApp(nirsoft) and PowerRun are the 3 greatest tools in my arsenal. I usually add little gems like those tomy interesting stuff page. sings - "arsenal, arsenal, i wash my face and hands and i wash my,,,," :D

Last edited:
Back