Having trouble with NTLite'd LTSC install

henur28

For a week now, I've been testing around with NTLite, creating iterations of a slimmed down
Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (1809) with the preset from https://www.ntlite.com/community/in...ximum-compatibility-for-x64-uefi-systems.771/

With every new ISO I create, I first test it on VirtualBox.
My latest one seemed to work fine although the network wasn't working.
Then I tested it on my laptop with an old HDD I use purely for testing but after installation,
I get an error message saying
"Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer,
restart the installation."

I even imported the hardware list from that very laptop and it still didn't work.

In case it helps, I was editing the x64 version of Windows LTSC.
I burnt the new ISO file to my USB stick with Rufus, using an MBR partition scheme targetting a BIOS system
which is what my laptop uses.

I have attached the autosaved preset file so if anyone can take a look and tell me what the problem might be,
that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Auto-saved f3eb814a.xml
    121.1 KB
Last edited:
post no1 has some blurb in red - "Some clarification seems necessary; With max compatibility I mean windows and dependencies compatibility, not hardware. This build is not suited for old hw out of the box. Tends to break legacy stuff."

MT_ has disabled a lot of stuff. doesnt matter if you kept something if he has disabled it you are literally going to have to pull his work apart and go through everything line by line(unless he chirps in here).

in all fairness to MT_ he did give a red warning and it was built for his requirements, he just shared it with us. it is up to users to go through and cherry pick what to keep.

Last edited:
post no1 has some blurb in red - "Some clarification seems necessary; With max compatibility I mean windows and dependencies compatibility, not hardware. This build is not suited for old hw out of the box. Tends to break legacy stuff."

MT_ has disabled a lot of stuff. doesnt matter if you kept something if he has disabled it you are literally going to have to pull his work apart and go through everything line by line(unless he chirps in here).

in all fairness to MT_ he did give a red warning and it was built for his requirements, he just shared it with us. it is up to users to go through and cherry pick what to keep.
Well, I message MT_ but he/she/they didn't reply back.
Do you think I'll have any better luck with a newer more modern PC? I'm buying one pretty soon, particularly with a recent graphics driver and AMD processor.

Also, have you tried this preset? Any guesses what I should keep that it removed?

Thanks.

i havnt tried it as is. MT_ says he is not supporting it anymore and he has moved on to other things so i doubt you will get a reply from him.
i cant help you on this at all, as i said, you gotta go through line by line. switching back to win 7 as we speak.

Last edited:
henur28 been going through MT_ s W7 work for myself.
First off look in Services, he has disabled some drivers as i recall.
2 - look into any bcdedit /set settings.
so look for the same/similar settings in his LTSC stuff.

In his W7 bcdedits he has disabled/set the following
Code:
bcdedit /set x2apicpolicy enable
bcdedit /set uselegacyapicmode no
bcdedit /set usefirmwarepcisettings no

Use Windows Service Manager (SrvMan), it will show you all system and driver services so you will see what he has disabled.
I dont think its removals, certain its a tweak/setting(s), thats the best i can do im afraid as im only cherry picking bits myself.

While you are at it look for this service msisadrv.

edit, ahh, he has disabled some usb driver services.

Last edited:
henur28 been going through MT_ s W7 work for myself.
First off look in Services, he has disabled some drivers as i recall.
2 - look into any bcdedit /set settings.
so look for the same/similar settings in his LTSC stuff.

In his W7 bcdedits he has disabled/set the following
Code:
bcdedit /set x2apicpolicy enable
bcdedit /set uselegacyapicmode no
bcdedit /set usefirmwarepcisettings no

Use Windows Service Manager (SrvMan), it will show you all system and driver services so you will see what he has disabled.
I dont think its removals, certain its a tweak/setting(s), thats the best i can do im afraid as im only cherry picking bits myself.

While you are at it look for this service msisadrv.

edit, ahh, he has disabled some usb driver services.
Okay, drivers like what in Services?
I've checked for those three bcdedits you mentioned.
What do each of them do?

I looked for msiadrv. It's set to boot.

I tried another iteration of my install on a new PC I got today.
After I installed it, I got an error saying something about it being unable to provide an "answer file" from C:Windows\Panther\unattend.xml or something. Sorry I can't remember it correctly, I should've kept it on screen and wrote it down.

ive had a quick look at MT_s pack, reg and xml files and i just dont know, i cant help anymore.

That preset is way too aggressive in disabling services, tons of custom registries and commands, it is not about the tool at that point.

So, to quickly debug only the removals, remove all other points about the preset except the removals and apply that.
You can do that with notepad, or reset all other pages from the toolbar until you only see removals on the Apply page preview.

Then also make sure the chosen Rufus method works with any ISO, lately people have issues tied to it specifically as well.
Aim that the image is below 4GB in single-file size of .\Sources\install.wim
Convert to ESD if necessary.

I looked at it, tweaking tons of things just to gain 10-50mb more space on ram and some mb in hdd is such a unnnecessary thing to do. doesn't worth the effort + there will be tons of future problems, crashs and compatibility issues. stop slimming the sh*t out of windows by creating custom recepies named as lite performance gaming etc. i'm sorry but they are all stupid and worthless.. also windows works pretty good in terms of performance out of box. only modern app bloatware is a issue in performance. since they are sideloading when u fresh install and take time to get ready. also your preset can not be used for diagnostics. its too long and will take days to find the problems. no one will help your for that kind of work.

ntlite is for creating your own. stop using someone else's preset. what if i need netframework 3.5 to work in my system and the guy created the preset set it to use only latest clr. with a single setting OS would be completely trash for me. its unwise to use other's presets. i think with the release of win10, the tool should be used only for minor changes to save time on bulk installs. such as disabling or enabling some features, changing some settings and removing modern apps which won't harm the system in the future. not to remove important components, it won't do good on online machienes or work related stations.

it won't be healthy to create a new windows by modifiying every single entry in the tool. idk you don't need to rediscover windows. it won't work either...

Last edited:
Back