How to create local users during Windows Setup?

Gimmick9705

Hi guys,

I'm trying out NTLite now for a couple days and I'm struggling with the option to skip all the steps except of the User Creation during OOBE for Windows 11 22H2.
It seems that the disabled option for Skipping the local User Creation won't do anything, because it is still not shown.

I want to create an image that I can use for my girlfriend and myself at home without to first install everything with the default admin account and a password and after first login to this account create new ones and get rid of the administrator account.

We need both our own account for getting access to our SMB shares.

Maybe I'm mssing something.

Just because I expect that one can tell me that I can create both accounts in NTLite as well for being already "implemented" to the fresh installation. That is not a proper solution for my case. I don't want unnessesary accounts on PCs where they will never login.

I would refer you to this thread: Create Multiple User Accounts

My suggestion is prepare your ISO, using the Unattended instructions. After you're done installing, just remove autounattend.xml from the ISO folder and recreate the ISO w/o it. Now you're back to "no unnecessary accounts" on install.

That is exactly what I don't want to achieve.

I don't want to use fixed username/passwords inside the NTLite unattended installation. I want a prompt during the installation process itself where I can type in my wanted usernames/passwords, that part should be absolutly dynamical.

I was able to achieve this with not skipping the Online Account Creation during the OOBE and with the bypassmethod... I thought there is something more available with NT-Lite.

OOBE will only provision the primary user, there is no support for more accounts.

Windows can create multiple users via:
1. Unattended answer file.
2. Post-Setup commands or scripts (but not interactively during Machine Execution).
3. Manually while OOBE screen is paused for input, by opening CMD shell with Shift-F10. Type the "net" commands.

This question isn't specific to NTLite; there is no Windows workflow to dynamically create other users, unless you replace OOBE with a custom scripted solution to do all Post-Setup provisioning tasks. That's not practical unless you're an IT pro who knows all the missing steps.

exactly what I want with the OOBE… just one user per install without to be forced to use the username given in the unattended install. I was using plural because I always got the 2 or 4 (both got laptops) installations in my head.

When using Unattended, there's no requirement to pre-define any user accounts. OOBE will default to asking you to create the primary user.
That user can be a local account, if BypassRNO is enabled.

I think you made the question confusing by wording it differently.

Exactly, my question was more to understand if we can achieve with NTlite to only view the local account creation process in the OOBE. If I skip the online account part with the unattended options I will not see any of these windows, also the local account one. Last one option isn’t set to skip in NTlite.

what is the bare minimum that has to be shown during the install process and should not be skipped (NTLite setting) to get the local account creation with BypassRNO enabled?

Sharing your preset would speed up the process of understanding what you've changed.

1. Confirm OOBE compatibility isn't disabled, so all OOBE dependencies are protected from removal.
2. Enable BypassRNO to allow local accounts. When using local accounts, these components are optional:
Code:
                <c>Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal 'Captive Portal Flow'</c>
                <c>Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow 'Network Connection Flow'</c>
3. Do not enable SkipUserOOBE or SkipMachineOOBE in Unattended.

Sharing your preset would speed up the process of understanding what you've changed.

1. Confirm OOBE compatibility isn't disabled, so all OOBE dependencies are protected from removal.
2. Enable BypassRNO to allow local accounts. When using local accounts, these components are optional:
Code:
                <c>Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal 'Captive Portal Flow'</c>
                <c>Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow 'Network Connection Flow'</c>
3. Do not enable SkipUserOOBE or SkipMachineOOBE in Unattended.
I'm currently not seeing Enable BypassRNO anywhere under Configure. Do i need to have the Windows PE Setup under boot.wim?
Also am using a pre-modified (Nothing was removed besides the others versions of windows) iso file of just Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Back