How to keep Windows Defender (Atlas OS preset)

WillingMost7

What do I need to keep on in NTLite so default windows defender would work? For some reason it says "No active antivirus provider" even though I kept "Windows Security" and all that comes with it selected in NTLite (Checked registry and windows defender isn't disabled there too).
Windows 10 Pro (20H2) x64 - 10.0.19042.631
Here is a link to the NTLite xml file. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
That's simple, don't use Atlas OS as your base image. All the NTLite advice assumes you start from a clean, untouched ISO image.
Atlas OS has its own Discord, ask them what modifications they've added in their project.

https://github.com/Atlas-OS/Atlas/wiki/1.-FAQ#13-whats-removed-in-atlas-os

1.3. What's removed in Atlas OS?​

It's important to remember that Atlas is oriented around gaming, so many things not needed for it may be removed. The following components and features are removed in Atlas:
  • TPM (Trusted Platform Module)
  • Windows Defender
  • Storage Spaces
  • eMMC Drives
  • RAID Disk Configurations
  • BitLocker
  • Biometrics (Face Recognition/Fingerprint)
  • Voice Recognition
  • Restore Points & System Reset

That's simple, don't use Atlas OS as your base image. All the NTLite advice assumes you start from a clean, untouched ISO image.
Atlas OS has its own Discord, ask them what modifications they've added in their project.

https://github.com/Atlas-OS/Atlas/wiki/1.-FAQ#13-whats-removed-in-atlas-os

1.3. What's removed in Atlas OS?​

It's important to remember that Atlas is oriented around gaming, so many things not needed for it may be removed. The following components and features are removed in Atlas:
  • TPM (Trusted Platform Module)
  • Windows Defender
  • Storage Spaces
  • eMMC Drives
  • RAID Disk Configurations
  • BitLocker
  • Biometrics (Face Recognition/Fingerprint)
  • Voice Recognition
  • Restore Points & System Reset
Thanks a lot for your response! I used a fresh ISO from Microsoft and applied Atlas XML, then modified it to enable Windows Defender and created an ISO. Yet it is not working

I loaded their 20H2 preset, and undid the Defender changes. It appears to work for me.

Windows 10 x64-2022-08-22-23-24-45.png

You're on v2.1.1.7917 (May 2021), don't know if that makes a difference -- not for Defender, but the Atlas OS preset was saved on 2.3.6.8792.
NTLite can comfortably import older presets and update the XML, but not sure if it's guaranteed in the other direction?

Here's my undo's from the Atlas OS preset:
Code:
<c>Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI 'Windows Defender'</c>
<c>securitycenter 'Security Center'</c>
<c>systemguard 'System Guard'</c>

<Tweak name="DefenderApiLogger\Start">0</Tweak>
<Tweak name="DefenderAuditLogger\Start">0</Tweak>
<Tweak name="Notifications\DisableNotifications">1</Tweak>
<Tweak name="Notifications\DisableEnhancedNotifications">1</Tweak>
<Tweak name="Windows Defender\DisableAntiSpyware">1</Tweak>

Also not sure why Atlas OS is stuck on the Nov 2020 Out of Band build (19042.631). I don't see any reason why it can't be applied to a more current release unless the author doesn't want to requalify it.

I'd upgrade NTLite if possible. If your license is expired, you won't get newer features but at least the bug fixes will work on the previously supported features. Maybe someone else can repeat my testing.

I loaded their 20H2 preset, and undid the Defender changes. It appears to work for me.

View attachment 7901

You're on v2.1.1.7917 (May 2021), don't know if that makes a difference -- not for Defender, but the Atlas OS preset was saved on 2.3.6.8792.
NTLite can comfortably import older presets and update the XML, but not sure if it's guaranteed in the other direction?

Here's my undo's from the Atlas OS preset:
Code:
<c>Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI 'Windows Defender'</c>
<c>securitycenter 'Security Center'</c>
<c>systemguard 'System Guard'</c>

<Tweak name="DefenderApiLogger\Start">0</Tweak>
<Tweak name="DefenderAuditLogger\Start">0</Tweak>
<Tweak name="Notifications\DisableNotifications">1</Tweak>
<Tweak name="Notifications\DisableEnhancedNotifications">1</Tweak>
<Tweak name="Windows Defender\DisableAntiSpyware">1</Tweak>

Also not sure why Atlas OS is stuck on the Nov 2020 Out of Band build (19042.631). I don't see any reason why it can't be applied to a more current release unless the author doesn't want to requalify it.

I'd upgrade NTLite if possible. If your license is expired, you won't get newer features but at least the bug fixes will work on the previously supported features. Maybe someone else can repeat my testing.
Thank you very much for your time and effort! Appreciate it a lot!
I will upgrade my NTLite.

Ive noticed that with these frankenbuilds, they aint up to date, another reason to ignore them.

Open the config in Notepad, and delete the tagged lines (above). This assumes you're using the AtlasOS preset.

Back