how to reduce windows iso dvd folder size

How can I reduce windows iso dvd size? I can't print gpt fat32 with rufus. I want to make it 2.58 gb because its size is 6 gb.

The ESD compression will trim a big percentage, you might get it down below 4GB for install.wim file, two ways of using it:
- if doing an image edit, next time also Apply - Image format - ESD
- or without loading the image, Source page, right-click on Install.wim and Convert - ESD

Btw Rufus also has a method to use NTFS with some notion around UEFI, but I didn't have luck with it.

it shouldnt do. fat32 has a 4gb file size limit and every os i work with is below the 4gb limit but on occasion i have written those files to a uefi partion using rufus with no problem.

There was known problem where Rufus (before 3.17) couldn't boot NTFS on UEFI firmware with secure boot. MS fixed the issue by signing Rufus' bootloader and it should work on most systems.

i always use my own script to reduce iso size & create final iso | put iso in iso directory & execute reducer cmd :

Special Note : Here i assume user has already enabled net35 if needed before reducing iso contents cuz sxs is also removed from sources directory + User must be damn sure that the iso he or she is using must be a wim based iso not esd based.

Attachments

• ISO-Reducer.zip
    830.8 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
yes it only removes everything from sources directory except $OEM$ , "boot install wim" , setup exe & lang.ini
in root it removes only support & setup.exe plus autorun.inf.
it works on any M$ iso starting vista till 11 :)

Special Note : Here i assume user has already enabled net35 if needed before reducing iso contents cuz sxs is also removed from sources directory + User must be damn sure that the iso he or she is using must be a wim based iso not esd based.

yes i will add it in next update plus autounattend xml too . thanks a lot for this suggestion.
next update will also export install wim single index to root then move it over writing the previous one.

Edit : Updated & thanks a lot again Garlin Sir.

|====| You need to add a version number to any uploads to avoid any confusion over new vs old versions then.
I prefer to use dates instead of version number, for example ISO-Reducer-20220604, 2 or more releases on the same day(usually quick fixes) ISO-Reducer-20220604a then B etc.

Last edited:
|====| You need to add a version number to any uploads to avoid any confusion over new vs old versions then.
I prefer to use dates instead of version number, for example ISO-Reducer-20220604, 2 or more releases on the same day(usually quick fixes) ISO-Reducer-20220604a then B etc.
ok i will keep it in mind next time. thanks for your suggestion too :)

yes it only removes everything from sources directory except $OEM$ , "boot install wim" , setup exe & lang.ini
in root it removes only support & setup.exe plus autorun.inf.
it works on any M$ iso starting vista till 11 :)

Have you tried the "Manual Setup" component removal? That entire "ISO" branch of components does the same.
Let me know if you find it has leftovers, also you can remove one Boot Loader that you don't use (BIOS vs EFI).

Back