How to remove unneeded drivers?

NoTRite

Hey guys,

I would like to remove unnecessary drivers from my system in the safest way possible. Meaning, I would like to keep those drivers that I need for this system, as well as any for external devices I might reasonably want to install in the future.

I found some that I obviously will never use, like POS Barcode scanners, but I'm not sure about the other 99%. For example, I don't have any 1394 ports on here, but I might use a USB-to-1394 adapter in the future for some reason. It's a laptop so I can't add any hardware directly, like a PCI 1394 card, but I'm still not sure about removing it.

Is there any way for NTLite to remove unused drivers after installation? Can I then re-add them if I need to?

And of the unused drivers, which would you suggest that I keep? How should I go about this?

Thanks!

Edit: I think the main point is, there needs to be an updated guide for drivers :)

Last edited:
Ok, I tried using NTLite on a live install, and I wasn't able to modify drivers.

So, do I have to remove the drivers beforehand? How do I do that safely?

And, why is a 4-year-old forum post (by a cow) provided as the only guide for this? :p

Bump

nuhi do you think we could get an updated&more in-depth driver guide sometime soon? That forum post I mentioned only talks about adding drivers, not removing them.

Last edited:
Driver removal is simple, uncheck what you don't need and it is removed. What you need depends on the machine and your usage patterns.
You can keep enabled Host Machine compatibility to protect the essentials (Components - Compatibility), but that is not a guarantee that you won't need any other and that you can uncheck all.

What do you mean you weren't able to modify drivers on a live install, how to see that?

Thanks.

I meant because I get this message:

Are you saying that only *adding* drivers is unsupported from live sources, while *removing* is supported?

Attachments

• 1557182517598.png
    1557182517598.png
    65.1 KB
Last edited:
Are you saying that only *adding* drivers is unsupported from live sources, while *removing* is supported?
Yes, let me know if you would word it differently in the popup to be easier to understand.

Oh ok, I thought it meant the whole driver page. Thanks!

It's not a big deal, but I think it would be more clear if it said

"The Unattended, Post-Setup and Integrate Registry pages, as well as the functionality to Add Drivers and Create ISOs, are disabled since they are intended for installation images only."

It's not a big deal, but I think it would be more clear if it said

"The Unattended, Post-Setup and Integrate Registry pages, as well as the functionality to Add Drivers and Create ISOs, are disabled since they are intended for installation images only."
Perfect, appreciated.

Back