Solved - Removing IE & Edge

crypticus

Hi, i only use chrome. so i don't want any internet explorer or edge on my system. but i was always afraid to delete those because i always thought that some programs/games will use ie's or edge's infrastructure and will always need them.

what is the safest way to get rid of edge and internet explorer without breaking windows update or any software/games. is it possible to just erase the interface+extensions to other links and visible ruins at computers startmenu etc?

so simply i want to know which components i should delete and which settings should i do on ntlite for safest trick. the reason i ask and never deleted before is i always saw some threads that people open and had problems with different parts of their systems.. some of them had issues with games some had issues with other softwares and wu maybe.

nuhi i know your work is hard and harder with people that are not polite and respectfull to what you are doing... but can u please help when u are not too busy or exhausted thanks..

btw can u please check this description/name double problem in next release on ntlite

Last edited:
nuhi i know your work is hard and harder with people that are not polite and respectfull to what you are doing...

or even patient :mad:. Thank you for making that point ege914 :)

It wasnt nuhis fault i had a bad time shrinking ltsb, it was ms's fault. Same that its ms's fault 1809 and 1903 are such bastards to fettle. Looking around the world wide wait nuhi isnt the only developer having a hard time, msmg has problems too, even users who dont lite by official and unofficial methods and just want to add updates. Any user wont be the only one having problems and any developer has to rearrange their todo list to sort the most serious problems 1st and normal life stuff can interfere with the most well laid out plans. Dont keep bumping posts because they have not been answered within 24 hours, we are a product specific forum here, not like mdl, and only the developer can give answers and if he is busy elsewhere then he cant be in 2 places at once. And he will have a life outside of computers.

There is an old saying, "if you think you can do better then go ahead". I am still waiting for a finished product from someone that bragged they could.

Sorry to hijack your thread ege914 but someone needed to say it and i will accept the consequences.

Hi, i only use chrome. so i don't want any internet explorer or edge on my system. but i was always afraid to delete those because i always thought that some programs/games will use ie's or edge's infrastructure and will always need them.
Edge is safe to remove as far as i know, i've never seen any software that relies on Edge's infrastructure, but i would keep IE if i was you, removing IE can cause serious issues with some third party software.
It wasnt nuhis fault i had a bad time shrinking ltsb, it was ms's fault. Same that its ms's fault 1809 and 1903 are such bastards to fettle.
Agreed. It's very painful to manage all different builds of W10, so many things change between them and to ensure that the removed components will not break system's integrity is indeed a very hard work of analysis, testing, comparisons, etc, nuhi has to test many different scenarios of behaviour to ensure that the removed components won't cause any issues on the installed OS.

If you treat each w10 build as an os in its own right, factor in w7/w8/w8.1 then how many operating systems does nuhi actively support?
From my own liting work there are a squillion different variables that no one person can know all of them, thats why i worked with a known set of variables, i could quickly find the bogey.

Windows 10 is an absolute dog. Factor in 2 major updates a year(2 new os's) then the poor developers are constantly playing whack a mole and i dont envy them 1 bit. Its why i am not liting 1809 at the moment, the maximum i will lite is one of my lite(beginners) presets and thats it. I see some comments here and i have a bloody hard time keeping my trap shut.

Edge is safe to remove as far as i know, i've never seen any software that relies on Edge's infrastructure, but i would keep IE if i was you, removing IE can cause serious issues with some third party software.

can u show or tell me which edge things are safe to remove? all of it?

and can i get rid of ie just ui?

nuhi Clanger PsychedelicShaman

from these which i should delete or keep? i don't want to break other softwares. i just don't want to see them or their gui. i will use chrome or chromium edge. thank you for help. and sorry for bumping the thread

Just the IE UI to be safe because you never know what you will install tomorrow or next week. :)

Some programs (erroneously) try to open links in internet explorer even if your default browser is not it. There are only a few who do this and the only one I can remember is WinToolkit. But for this reason and to avoid future problems I keep IE UI.

Of those relating to IE/Edge I remove these:

* Internet Explorer - 32 bit
* ActiveX Compatibility Flags (Killbits)
* Adobe Flash for Internet Explorer
* Edge HTML Viewer - 32 bit
* All in Windows Apps/Apps
* Browser Brokers
* EdgeDevToolClient
* Edge
* Win32WebViewHost
* SecureAssessmentBrowser (I'm not sure what that is for and if it relates to Edge but it should not cause problems)

Last edited:
Some programs (erroneously) try to open links in internet explorer even if your default browser is not it. There are only a few who do this and the only one I can remember is WinToolkit. But for this reason and to avoid future problems I keep IE UI.

Of those relating to IE/Edge I remove these:

* ActiveX Compatibility Flags (Killbits)
* Edge HTML Viewer - 32 bit
* All in Windows Apps/Apps
* Browser Brokers
* EdgeDevToolClient
* Edge
* Win32WebViewHost
* SecureAssessmentBrowser (I'm not sure what that is for and if it relates to Edge but it should not cause problems)

why this Win32WebViewHost

why this Win32WebViewHost

This is for Win32 applications to use the Edge engine instead of the IE engine.

And I'm guessing you will not use any Windows App otherwise Browser Brokers, Edge HTML Viewer - 32 bit among others in Windows Apps/Apps may be needed. It would be necessary to know these details and which version of Windows 10 you are using to be more precise.

And I'm guessing you will not use any Windows App otherwise Browser Brokers, Edge HTML Viewer - 32 bit among others in Windows Apps/Apps may be needed. It would be necessary to know these details and which version of Windows 10 you are using to be more precise.

i'm using 1903 home

Then I may be doing a mistake by removing those (except Edge), Win32WebViewHost and other apps all the time since I have Edge, Calculator, Photos, Microsoft Store, Print Dialog, App Installer, Net Framework, VCLibs and other apps and I remove Internet Explorer with MSMG ToolKit because if I do it with NTLite some folders/files are kept and/or the MMC Extended View gets broken. Also, I don't remove Content Delivery Manager because by doing so the OOBE is broken and I don't have apps being installed against my will. I don't know why is this but it's better this way. Maybe it has to do with some setting I disabled on NTLite.

i'm using 1903 home

I do not have 1903 ISO but based on this list you can safely remove the following components:

* EdgeDevToolClient
* Edge
* Edge HTML Viewer - 32 bit (If you use Windows Apps keep this)
* WebMediaExtensions (If you use Windows Apps keep this)
* WebpImageExtension (If you use Windows Apps keep this)
* Browser Brokers (If you use Windows Apps keep this)
* Win32WebViewHost (Optional)
* SecureAssessmentBrowser (Optional)

Then I may be doing a mistake by removing those (except Edge), Win32WebViewHost and other apps all the time since I have Edge, Calculator, Photos, Microsoft Store, Print Dialog, App Installer, Net Framework, VCLibs and other apps and I remove Internet Explorer with MSMG ToolKit because if I do it with NTLite some folders/files are kept and/or the MMC Extended View gets broken. Also, I don't remove Content Delivery Manager because by doing so the OOBE is broken and I don't have apps being installed against my will. I don't know why is this but it's better this way. Maybe it has to do with some setting I disabled on NTLite.

Win32WebViewHost is safe to remove and totally optional. Removing this will win32 applications work as in Win7/8.1 using the IE engine. The others I've cited will only cause problems when an app needs them.

i decided to not to erase iexplorer and edge. they really f the system up. i can't even install some softwares.

i decided to not to erase iexplorer and edge. they really f the system up. i can't even install some softwares.

If you want a larger margin of safety you can remove only Edge (the app) and Flash. It's easy to integrate Edge again in case of a problem.

Back