Issue with Win11 Search Results

SM03

I am not getting instant search results for my files & folders even after turning on indexing to enhanced mode
1 (1).png

RuN this command in CMD admin & got this
Code:
sc config "wsearch" start=delayed-auto && sc start "search"
1.png

Also, when I click on this, the windows settings app is closing /crashes automatically,

search.png

how to fix all this so that I can type & get any of my files & folders store in my local D drive instantly like Windows 10?

Windows Build/Version: 22000.593 Pro
Preset attached

Attachments

• PRESET 22000.469 (Jan-22).xml
    28.8 KB
EDIT - Restoring Holo MDL2 made no difference

Installed your preset in VM, and tested your reports.

1. Settings exits when clicking on Advanced indexing options. Event logs report this error:
Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22000.120, time stamp: 0x27a6d211
Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.22000.318, time stamp: 0xe4273f56
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x0000000000834450
Faulting process id: 0x1858
Faulting application start time: 0x01d846066316a056
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
Report Id: d442e4b7-ef62-4d77-93d1-034e49645401
Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_10.0.6.1000_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

You didn't remove UI.Xaml, so why? There's one answer: Holo MDL2 font.
hololens_mdl2.png

Many Settings & Taskbar problems are caused by missing "fonts", which are really icon libraries.

2. Search returns no local file results. I dunno, works on my install (no changes). Search indexer is running in the background.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Can't figure out why Advanced indexing options crashes. The help section underneath has the same glitch.
Exception code 0xc000027b is a widely reported error (which means its very generic).

From testing, it's not caused by:
- removing Holo MDL2 font (and Mixed Reality)​
- WU updates to UWP apps (disabled networking)​
- your settings (reverted everything, except for extended indexing)​
- your locale (same crashes for en-US)​
- Windows updates (using build 22000.318 [Nov 21])​
Another possibility is rolling back NTLite to a previous version. None of the removals touch the Xaml libraries.

EDIT - Restoring Holo MDL2 made no difference

Installed your preset in VM, and tested your reports.

1. Settings exits when clicking on Advanced indexing options. Event logs report this error:

You didn't remove UI.Xaml, so why? There's one answer: Holo MDL2 font.
hololens_mdl2.png

Many Settings & Taskbar problems are caused by missing "fonts", which are really icon libraries.

2. Search returns no local file results. I dunno, works on my install (no changes). Search indexer is running in the background.

View attachment 7012

Can't figure out why Advanced indexing options crashes. The help section underneath has the same glitch.
Exception code 0xc000027b is a widely reported error (which means its very generic).

From testing, it's not caused by:
- removing Holo MDL2 font (and Mixed Reality)​
- WU updates to UWP apps (disabled networking)​
- your settings (reverted everything, except for extended indexing)​
- your locale (same crashes for en-US)​
- Windows updates (using build 22000.318 [Nov 21])​
Another possibility is rolling back NTLite to a previous version. None of the removals touch the Xaml libraries.

Hi garlin

from your report what I got is that you're suggesting that this error could be the result of removing any particular font or package name Holo MDL2, also reconfirmed that restoring that Holo MDL2 made no diff hence the same issue persisted.

To inform you, I use the same preset on W10 for several years without any issue with search or anything.

It is just in W11 I recently switched, where I noticed that search from start does not give me any result from other drives except boot drive (C). My indexing is also running normally in the background & as well as the search services I checked. But for that issue occurring when I clicked on the Advanced indexing option in Windows settings, it's closing automatically as I wrote earlier & you noticed & have written here as well.

Just to be sure, I tested on another 2 systems to see whether it's an isolated issue with a particular system or not, & the result is the same as you confirmed as well. And apart from this issue, I didn't encounter any other issues as you said
"Many Settings & Taskbar problems are caused by missing "fonts", which are really icon libraries."

That is probably the mismatched Language & Local setup, for your reference, I use EN-GB & EN-IN, not EN-US

So what conclusion we can draw from this? Anything that I am missing or doing wrong, or something that needs to be fixed in NTL for W11 because this issue is not there in W10 as I mentioned earlier?

Settings crashes on my single-language image -- which rules out locale. You're not doing anything wrong as far as I can tell.

If you want to continue, roll back to a previous NTLite build (maybe like 6 months back). There's always a possibility that bug fixes for other component removals causes a different problem. Running the Seach Index control panel manually works fine (and does the troubleshooter). It's trying to launch it from Settings which is the problem.

Settings crashes on my single-language image -- which rules out locale. You're not doing anything wrong as far as I can tell.

If you want to continue, roll back to a previous NTLite build (maybe like 6 months back). There's always a possibility that bug fixes for other component removals causes a different problem. Running the Seach Index control panel manually works fine (and does the troubleshooter). It's trying to launch it from Settings which is the problem.
well, to be honest, am not bothered about the crash of the advance indexing option

Am just bothered by the fact that Windows search from START is NOT giving me any result from my storage drive, nor giving any result from windows settings related search result from start (i.e if I type any win settings name, in Win10 it shows the related settings in search result)

It only shows me the results from any document /files listed in C (boot) drive.

& that's why for now, am using 'Everything' (3rd party app) to fulfil my need (searching local files directly from START)

I'd like to request you to pass this info to nuhi (as I can see that you're now a mod in this forum, congrats on that note) for further investigation throughout NTL development.

nuhi reads most tagged posts.

Search doesn't index other drives unless you specify them. On my image, Indexing Options still runs manually.
If Windows indexed all drives by default, it would kill performance. My laptop has 5 USB drives.

nuhi reads most tagged posts.

Search doesn't index other drives unless you specify them. On my image, Indexing Options still runs manually.
If Windows indexed all drives by default, it would kill performance. My laptop has 5 USB drives.

garlin

I think this is the option to enable indexing to all the drivers inside the windows & I enabled that via NTL while modding Win ISO
2.png

And as you can see in the upper right corner, it is showing indexed 971 items & as I checked the search service is also running in services, so I think the windows index for all the drives is running by default from the very start of a clean installation (as the enhanced file option I specified while modding via NTL) but in Win11, still the search from START not working for other drive file & folders, only showing boot (C) drive contents

And unlike you (If Windows indexed all drives by default, it would kill performance. My laptop has 5 USB drives.)
for me, I don't keep my external devices connected all the time in my desktop, only 1 gen3x4 NVME boot drive (C) where the OS & other stuff installed & one 2TB HDD (D Drive) for storing everything, that's all. & am not getting any result from that D drive HDD

As you said that Nuhi read most of the tagged post, so I believe he'll reply here regarding after reading, let's see.

Last edited:
That's basically the same thing that I told you about my settings for enhanced search, not sure why did you share this.

On another note, I forgot to ask earlier, am I the only one facing this particular search-related issue with W11 modded with NTLite?

Can you or crypticus or any other member & user of NTLite here can confirm or deny that whether you guys facing the same in your modded W11 installed or not?

I personally don't, because i don't remove many components
what's the base version W1 ISO you used or using for modding?

And you think I removed too many components? I don't think so, well, it's a subjective & relative matter & views can be varied from person to person.

Last edited:
I always use whatever the latest iso is from uupdump and use same preset every time. +place extra files inside the iso for setupcomplete

Attachments

• Windows 11.xml
    17.4 KB
I always use whatever the latest iso is from uupdump and use same preset every time. +place extra files inside the iso for setupcomplete
If you update to newer builds regularly keeping up could be a nightmare because of the changes ms make to each new build.

crypticus
so, in your modded W11 (latest) ISO via NTL, the search from START returns results from the entire PC, from other drivers including boot drive while searching for any folder or doc? When the search indexing option set on Enhanced mode? As it should work? No issue at all?

UPDATE:
======

Now after updating to the latest version 22000.652 today via LCU KB5012643, the search indexing options is fixed, i.e. if I click on that option now, it won't crash, & showing the relevant pop-up window. So I believe something was broken during the time of modding the ISO as I've tested this with several systems for the last one month & more, same result everywhere from the very first boot after clean installation. So the issue is not any system-specific isolated issue.

More on that, the search issue is also resolved now,

Today, after the LCU KB5012643 was successfully installed & the system updated from 22000.613 to 22000.652, I checked the advance indexing option & noticed unlike earlier, that doesn't crash /automatically close the windows settings window & inside the advance indexing option, my two HDD drives ain't listed/showing over there, so I manually modified & added/allocated those drives

3.png

after that, now everything seems to be ok i.e. local files are showing in search from the START.

As told earlier, I already selected the 'Enhanced' option for the Windows search/Find my files settings while modding via NTL, & I believe that would automatically enlist all the drives in a PC under the advance indexing option so that the user can get any file while search directly from the START.

Earlier, in Windows 10, with my same preset, this used to work flawlessly as intended. But from W11, I am facing this issue from the very beginning. I don't know what is the exact issue here. Just updating this case after receiving today's LCU.

Tagging nuhi crypticus garlin Clanger

Back