Latest NTLite 1.7.0.6572 doesn't remove files/hardlinks in WinSxS folder

For Windows Update compatibility since the new 1809 update format, delta compression back and forth.

To avoid that, make sure to remove Windows Update as well, tool will then not keep some files in WinSxS.
I'll see about minimizing Windows Update removal impact on the Core Metro Services, if possible.

You can also then remove Component Store (not Database), and it will remove even more of then unnecessary files.

Last edited:
For Windows Update compatibility since the new 1809 update format, delta compression back and forth.

To avoid that, make sure to remove Windows Update as well, tool will then not keep some files in WinSxS.
I'll see about minimizing Windows Update removal impact on the Core Metro Services, if possible.

You can also then remove Component Store (not Database), and it will remove even more of then unnecessary files.
I removed "Windows Update" from Compatibility but the result is similar.
You mentioned to remove "Component Store" in Components but it's not removable in free version.

Please revert the files removal method as it was in previous versions. The change you made has great negative impact on the image size. And I don't think keeping the full-sized WinSxS to ensure future updates compatibility is the right approach.

BTW from time to time I make slimmed Windows 10 versions from x64 LTSB, with very reduced image size and WinSxS folder and they are updateable. If I found some incompatibility with future updates I add the required files back in the image file and make Windows updateable again (CBS log and procmon help here ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed "Windows Update" from Compatibility but the result is similar.
You mentioned to remove "Component Store" in Components but it's not removable in free version.

Please revert the files removal method as it was in previous versions. The change you made has great negative impact on the image size. And I don't think keeping the full-sized WinSxS to ensure future updates compatibility is the right approach.

BTW from time to time I make slimmed Windows 10 versions from x64 LTSB, with very reduced image size and WinSxS folder and they are updateable. If I found some incompatibility with future updates I add the required files back in the image file and make Windows updateable again (CBS log and procmon help here ;))
What do you mean result is similar?
If you remove Windows Update from the get-go, together or before other components, WinSxS will be cleaned as before.
If you also remove Windows Component Store, it will be cleaned even more.
If you see different, attach the preset and let me know which leftover to look for as a test.

Well, Microsoft keeps changing the game. Try updating LTSC after the older NTLite removals, or just go here.

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. Will it be possible to Keep Windows Update but remove Component Store?
No, Windows Update needs components to update, that is why Component Store is located under the Windows Update.
However, not all files are needed for that compatibility, and it will probably become closer to the older versions in the future for this scenario.

I switched to completely removing WU and the rest, updating via the Host Refresh tool (on the Source page toolbar).
But I have a very fast machine so that 20-30min updating process is not a big deal - I understand if some would like WU to keep working after removals, especially for machines that are not ours to maintain.

Back