License woes?

MT_

Hi!

Currently tweaking and testing various Windows versions, and I keep two partitions for Windows 7 and 10.

I occasionally switch around, reinstall etc but every time NTLite keeps telling me that I have to spend another activation.

The NTLite tool runs from a different SSD I keep solely for OS Shared apps. I already exported my license numerous times and stuff but it often keeps asking.

Whats going on? I dont change any of my hardware nor do I change anything in my BIOS/UEFI.
Am i missing anything? I suppose I could make a third drive/partition on a clean Windows 10 and use that for permanent NTLite processing I suppose.

Thanks! :/

NTLite needs an active internet connection, either a wireless usb dongle or onboard lan/pci/pci-e lan card. They dont have to be physically connected to a router, just active, driver installed and not disconnected,
Capture.PNG
Disabling the ethernet here will force ntlite to request renewing your license. If you change hardware when you switch os may force ntlite into complaining. I take it the shared apps ssd is on a sata connection and not by usb in a caddy?

I should be around for an hour or so.

Well I know how to enable/disable my LAN adapter man, lol.

Oh so you mean NTLite needs an active connection to re-activate it without depleating my number of activations?

I thought just reimporting my backed-up license.dat and serial was enough.

Installing my network adapter isn't one of the first things I do when i test a newly installed build, so yea.

I have to ask the obvious because it aint obvious to everyone :). Windows 7 doesnt have a realtek lan driver whereas windows 10 does so ntlite will run on a bare w10 install but needs the driver installed to run on w7. Yeah, ntlite just needs that active connection each time its run, it doesnt have to physically connected.

Last edited:
MT_, to restore previously activated license, you don't need an active connection, just a network adapter to be present in the system (and other hardware).
Only hardware (including a VM) changes can cause the need for reactivation.

Make sure to have the network card present, and make sure not to restore an older backup.
Just keep the license.dat file as is on that location where the tool is, keep writing into it and run the tool from the same location each time.
Your activation count has been reset, feel free to reactivate when needed.
Keep me updated if you manage to confuse it again, I'm interesting in replicating that scenario, if it's not a hardware, or a virtual machine change.

Thanks.

Thanks nuhi.

I think I realize how it works now :) If i do run into more problems I'll let ya know, but I don't expect to!

If i might make another suggestion, I've been dealing with a map where NTLite used to reside in, which kept re-appearing. But the NTLite/updates map was under another general map and I was pulling my brains out why that map kept re-appearing. Initially i thought it was a corrupt recycle bin or something.

Perhaps an idea to make the paths in settings on NTLite relative rather than absolute? Because it was NTLite that kept re-creating that 'updates' map, it just didnt realise until now hah.

Was a bit of a nuisance but no biggy.

I find this to be quite annoying. I always have to use a Reactivation when testing in VMWare, which by itself isn't a problem but becomes one when you only have a limited amount of times you can do this.

I find this to be quite annoying. I always have to use a Reactivation when testing in VMWare, which by itself isn't a problem but becomes one when you only have a limited amount of times you can do this.

Agreed there must be a better way of sorting this.

I don't get why mail-bound activation is simply not sufficient enough. I mean, if things get out of hand there could simply be an automatic block on more activations with the same key. And if circumstances need it (for some strange reason) you can always send a message to NTLIte owner and say I need to re-activate this many times for such and such reason.

Anyway, the tool itself is great, no complaints in that department :)

Hi,

I am new to NTLite and after testing I want to buy a home license. Reading this thread I am a little confused now. Maybe you can help me.

I want to run NTLite on my old Win7 machine (PC1) to create an .iso for a new Win10 machine (PC2 with new hardware). To test the .iso I will (of course) install it in a VMWare (PC3 and maybe PC4, etc. if changing VM hardware). How many licenses are consumed in this scenario? If I only install the .iso and do not run NTLite in VMWare and not on PC2 I thought only 1 license, right?

Or is the created .iso bound to a specific hardware?

Thank you!

I will let nuhi answer your licensing questions.

You cannot fully service a Windows 10 image from Windows 7 Host, you can shrink and tweak it but you cannot update it. Its a limitation in Windows 7.

When you create an ISO it can be used on any machine, it is not bound to specific hardware. You can however create an ISO with drivers for a specific hardware combination, for instance, you have an old Dell(etc) laptop that you want to use for web browsing emails etc you can tailor your builds for that combination if you want to create a nice lightweight internet machine. I have presets availible for w7 8.1 and 10 to get you started :).

I am going to offer an alternative. I recently switched from windows 7 to windows 8.1 and it is a great alternative to 7 and 10. Microsoft is supporting it till 2023, its features do not change with every update, i take it you know about the new features MS add with every new windows 10 major update.

I have 8.1 running on AMD FM2+ and on Intel Coffee Lake(i3 8300 and B360 chipset). Its as good as windows 7 and with the modern UI of windows 10 and it doesnt have all the telemetry issues of 10. Much as i loved w7 i love 8.1 now. Try it if your hardware has working drivers.

Last edited:
Thank you Clanger!

I would definitely prefer Win 8.1. The only reason I was not thinking about it was that all new hardware is shipped with Win10 and I am not sure about the downgrade rights. Can you simply download a Win 8.1. ISO from MS and use the Win 10 license key?

Thank you!

I went with a permanent Win 10 virtual machine (vmware)specially made for NTLite, which I can access from any OS i want.

And no more license issues after that.

As MT_ described above, have a static VM for it, with no changing parameters on it since the first activation.
And you can keep the tool on a share from a real machine, that's how I do it.

NTLite needs an active internet connection, either a wireless usb dongle or onboard lan/pci/pci-e lan card. They dont have to be physically connected to a router, just active, driver installed and not disconnected,
View attachment 1051
Disabling the ethernet here will force ntlite to request renewing your license. If you change hardware when you switch os may force ntlite into complaining. I take it the shared apps ssd is on a sata connection and not by usb in a caddy?

I should be around for an hour or so.

ok so im having the same problem on fresh format(laptop) , and i connect to internet with wifi.help please

im on my lappy no hardware changes, it still asks for licence and i did not install ntlite on vm either

ok so im having the same problem on fresh format(laptop) , and i connect to internet with wifi.help please

im on my lappy no hardware changes, it still asks for licence and i did not install ntlite on vm either
Do you disable network adapters since the last activation?
What changed, in another topic you mention that it asks you for a license code.
Why not enter it, did you lose it or the error is different?

Do you disable network adapters since the last activation?
What changed, in another topic you mention that it asks you for a license code.
Why not enter it, did you lose it or the error is different?

ok i used the licence.dat file plus put in the code manually and it accepted my code without burning anymore online activation.
(no hardware changed, no network adapters were disabled , it is a laptop).so it seems all righty now .
ThankYou

so my next querry
im gonna install NTlite NEXT on my home Desktop(s) where i use two different ISP for internet-- one via USB tethering and one via wifi/hotspot.
My motherboard has a lan port and addition to it i plug in a USB wifi card when using internet via Wifi/Hotspot.

So going by information on this thread if i leave my Lan Port enabled and its drivers installed it should not consume more than one online activation , right ?

i am so being critical because i tend to format my computer every time i build a new iso and im afraid of using up more than one activation every time im formating my pcs and laptops (i have 2 deskops and 2 laptops in total)

Once again -- Great App !! Had fun with it on XP days , and now more so than ever. Thank You

Back