LTSC Gaming/Poweruser Profile, Optimized without completely break everything.

MT_

NTLite: NTLite Beta 1.8.0.6650
ISO: SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_LTSC_2019_64-bit_English_MLF_X21-96425
Comment: I apply profile against above ISO, and integrated latest Security Cumulative of Windows and NET3/4 before i did.

Size can be further reduced by using High Compression image format, remove stuff like Windows Updates, Store, SxS, pre-compiled .NET, and other pre-cached stuff, although I cannot guarantee compatibility after that.

Build is mostly about minimized background processes, de-complication, 'dont nag me' (removal) tweaks, 'I'm not an idiot, Microsoft', remove potential security risks, basically anything you don't really need, and maximize game frametimes/fps. Settings are generally back to 'old skool' Windows 2000+ era in terms of UI usability.

Reason I kept it relatively 'compatible' is due to the fact that I had a perfect working LTSC build (stripped barebones to only 1.5GB~) but then a friend recommended me the game 'Sea of Thieves' and there the horror began. I never imaged requiring a bloody mandatory store to play a game, and as much as I dislike it, I had to redo my build from scratch. I had to overcome roughly 3 different build 'bugs' in relation to Windows Store (Which is not part of LTSB/C and which requires integration after. All these issues either made 'Apps' crash or refuse to download in the first place. The dependencies are real -_-

Anyway, now I have a pretty nice build, and anything I did leave in is probably for the best. (After using app for months you kind of get a general feeling which component will break crap around the board, and I got really OCD About having a 'perfect slimmed down' build but to be fair, maximize size reduction is probably adversely affecting stability with extremely little gain at some point.

Some additional comments
- Cortana works, as in no voice crap or spy stuff. Just simple local search.
- Full Screen Optimization works (Actually a really nice feature if you know what it does)
- GameDVR and Overlay crap (GameDVRPresenceWriter, gamepanel.exe) are non-functional/absent, and Game Mode wont work. (Only screws up gaming anyway, can integrate if you really want to, I find it to be a frametime killer and intrusive to my games.)
- Store, XBox app, and UWP apps / games can update, and in general should work. (After integrating it obviously)
- 'Automatic Updates disabled' enforced (Somehow disabling all update related 'Settings' from NTLite no longer have desirable effect on LTSC). Windows Update service disabled by default as another precautionary measure. Manual updating still works (Tested, crap dumped Adobe Flash Player back into my control panel!!)
- WARNING: Although Windows updates wont initialize by itself even after enabling 'Windows Update service', latest 180x builds refuse to adhere to the 'Don't install drivers from windows update'. So if you require to enable 'Windows update service' for i.e. the Windows Store, you will need to do the following to disable automatic driver updating: https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers/

(Its also doable via gpedit.msc, which in turn creates the proper regedit hives/keys)

To do yourself
- Personal adjustment.
- Reset driver section, or use mine as template and use your own to compare and 'fix'. (Might have to fix a lot here, took out bluetooth and printing amongst others)
- Most .reg's you probably want, sorts out a lot of annoying stuff that broke since Windows 10 came to light of day. Take out whatever you think you don't need.
- Enable Auto-attend -> Autofill -> Create account and simple use built-in administrator, give it a name, password, change timezone and done. :)
- Google 'Add-MicrosoftStore-and-Xbox.zip' if you want to integrate the store+xbox app.

I hope this profile might be of any use to someone.

2.png

Attachments

Last edited:

igacici

Hi,.. tried this preset on 17763.1.180914-1434.rs5_release_clientconsumer_ret_x64fre_en-us and mounted (at least tried) on VMWare, but installation didn't work well, it reported some error...

Attachments

MT_

Hi,.. tried this preset on 17763.1.180914-1434.rs5_release_clientconsumer_ret_x64fre_en-us and mounted (at least tried) on VMWare, but installation didn't work well, it reported some error...
I see.

Well, could be anything, from different Windows build, different VMWare etc.. Try 3D Accel off or on in VMware perhaps? Since its related to dwm.exe?

Kasual

Try to check VMWare in Compatibility as it would need some components not needed for non-virtual machines.

MT_

But the profile already inherits VMWare support and corresponding drivers, or did you take then out/redo profile?

igacici

MT_ ... I don't know what happened, maybe something when I added drivers from/for host machine, I mean my notebook... anyway this weekend I'll look at this deeper...

MT_

Why is it 2 power policy setting in post setup :O
Theres usually 3 profiles but with new win 10 builds some editions have 'Ultimate' setting. So I default delete Power saver and the old High Performance.

Since nobody has ever complained about performance degradation on the new profile or otherwise performance issues, I just decide to remove anything but Balanced and Ultimate :)

Still wise to go over the profiles manually yourself as well, as there are hidden entries like NVMe timeout states which can be adjusted. Default is like 200/2000ms.

PowerSettingsExplorer is what its called.
I also use it for USB3 Powersaving, Interrupt routing and disable core parking through GUI (min cores)

dezn

Almost perfect but not there yet. Still lots of issues after testing this out.
1- 209GB out of 232gb on a fresh install, where has my 10-15 GB gone? I get 218 GB on my non modified OS.
2- Firefox has a smooth scrolling issue with this after testing it out thoroughly and no other browsers seem to have this issue. Weird.
3- Media feature pack is needed for certain applications to run.
4- Startisback is having issues with linking the apps to the start menu
5- I'd recommend you uninstall and remove the network drivers as well so you can manually install everything.

Nitpicky but I feel like this is almost perfect just need help with these issues.

banko84

MT_ thanks a lot for your hard work.

Have some questions.
Is it possible for You to create a less Gutted version of Your profile?

**** First things first. I'm using your preset as base for Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1809!
NB! I have not integrated latest Security Cumulative of Windows and NET3/4. Do you have a good link to a tutorial?

When using Your profile, things that won't work or are not correctly working:

1. Skype Metro app won't work (tried Enabling Windows Update Service, logging in to Windows App Store and reinstalling it)
  2. Kind of missing Notifications Panel, since it has several handy buttons for usage like "bluetooth" [yes some people use it occasionally :)],
ScreenSnip direct buttons, Nigh Light, Project, Tablet mode (For when you have a Touchscreen Laptop) and etc.
3) Do I absolutely have to make a Premeditated User with password?
Enable Auto-attend -> Autofill -> Create account and simple use built-in administrator, give it a name, password, change timezone and done.
4)Added My modified Preset to this post (based on yours).

Additionally info about my Preferences (Use Case scenarios):
I'm using
SmartCard / for Estonian ID Card usage!
WWAN Support for USB Internet Dongles (From local ISP vendors)
Printers
Streaming Software like Spotify
Using a lot of DLNA (Meaning media from my NAS).
Projector Connecting / Secondary Display possibilities in general!
Gaming
SketchUp Modelling
Virtualizing with 3rd party Apps like VMWare, VirtualBox
Encoding/Decoding Video/Audio (Asio support needed)
3rd party USB-C/USB-A Audio units
**** Although MS account login is not necessary / is it possible to let it be used if needed?
Heavy Web media usage!

Attachments

Last edited:

MT_

Almost perfect but not there yet. Still lots of issues after testing this out.
1- 209GB out of 232gb on a fresh install, where has my 10-15 GB gone? I get 218 GB on my non modified OS.
2- Firefox has a smooth scrolling issue with this after testing it out thoroughly and no other browsers seem to have this issue. Weird.
3- Media feature pack is needed for certain applications to run.
4- Startisback is having issues with linking the apps to the start menu
5- I'd recommend you uninstall and remove the network drivers as well so you can manually install everything.

Nitpicky but I feel like this is almost perfect just need help with these issues.
Perhaps the 16GB pagefile addressed? Like the title says, its not an 'absolutely minimized' LTSC build as that would indeed break more than it fixes. Whatever runs in memory is still more important than stripping out literally 90% that is not even touched in runtime cases.

I can run Sea of thieves on this build and tried Candy Crush just to see if it all worked, which it does. But there is so much different use case scenarios its impossible for 1 man to test possibly all pieces of software :p

Also differences in Windows builds/security patches etc... At the end people should probably use profiles as a blueprint and work themselves up from there to find what they think works best.

For personal usage, I just make sure that nothing that does not help me in any way with gaming gets unloaded out of memory, I dont even care that much for the actual installation footprint. Runtime performance > space used.

Clanger

At the end people should probably use profiles as a blueprint and work themselves up from there to find what they think works best.
:cool: There aint no one size fits all in this game. If there are 100 NTLite users(for instance) then there will be 100 different configurations.

Last edited:
Reactions: MT_

qou

Hello,
Thanks for sharing your profile, any idea how to fix this error 0x80080206 when trying to install Sea of Thieves?