Lync.exe error after removing Skype apps

David Gardner

When trying to start up Skype for Business (Office 2016), I get a system error "Lync.exe - System Error: The code execution cannot proceed because elscore.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." This file is present in C:\Windows\System32 and the WinSxS folder also. Repairing the Office install does not fix it, but an OS refresh with an unmodified install source does. This is happening with Windows 10 1703 and 1709 x64 Enterprise.

I am running NTLite 1.4.1.5632 x64. In the Components section, I have removed protection for Core Metro Services, but have left the protections for Microsoft Office applications. I had gotten this error in the prior version of NTLite, but waited for the current release to see if that sorted it. I've attached my configuration xml if that helps.

These are the apps I have removed:

<RemoveComponents>
<c>Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub 'MicrosoftOfficeHub'</c>
<c>Microsoft.Office.OneNote 'Office.OneNote'</c>
<c>Microsoft.Services.Store.Engagement 'Services.Store.Engagement'</c>
<c>Microsoft.SkypeApp 'SkypeApp'</c>
<c>Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp 'StorePurchaseApp'</c>
<c>Microsoft.WindowsStore 'WindowsStore'</c>
<c>Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI 'Xbox.TCUI'</c>
<c>Microsoft.XboxApp 'Xbox App'</c>
<c>Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI 'XboxGameCallableUI'</c>
<c>Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay 'XboxGameOverlay'</c>
<c>Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider 'XboxIdentityProvider'</c>
<c>Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay 'XboxSpeechToTextOverlay'</c>
<c>onedrive</c>
</RemoveComponents>

Any idea what is happening?

Thanks.

Hi @David Gardner, Just don't remove SkypeApp (<c>Microsoft.SkypeApp 'SkypeApp'</c>).
Hi Kasual,

I would be happy if it were that simple, but our group has determined that this needs to be removed as having two Skype options confuses people when we want them to use Skype for Business.

At this point, I have not removed it. But eventually, I would like to be able to safely remove it.

Have you tried to not remove it to check if it fixes the issue?

If that doesn't solve the issue, try to keep only these:
Microsoft.Services.Store.Engagement 'Services.Store.Engagement' depends on WindowsStore
Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp 'StorePurchaseApp' depends on WindowsStore
Microsoft.WindowsStore 'WindowsStore'

If you do not want to keep windows store to prevent apps installations, it is easy to block it by disabling windows updates.

I tried leaving the Skype apps, but it seems that it is the Store apps that are the culprit.

When I have the chance, I'll remove Skype while leaving the Store to see how that goes.

Do you have any pointers to information on how disabling windows update blocks Store app installation?

Do you have any pointers to information on how disabling windows update blocks Store app installation?

I made many tests in the past weeks, one of them was to detect why i couldn't install apps, "googling" leaded me to windows update service needs to be running (set to manual start as by default). I have Windows Updates disabled in my presets because it search, download an install updates at the end of windows installation and i think that when it gets to the desktop, windows store search for updates of store app and other apps and install the updates (if there is any kept).

I have tried your preset and in short, cannot replicate the issue.
I do get a crash of Skype For Business on even untouched Win10 1709, if the license agreement comes up and is accepted.
But then I opened Word, accepted the agreement, and Skype For Business can start without a crash.
Elscore.dll wasn't mentioned.
Btw next time please check C:\Windows\SysWoW64\elscore.dll if it's there (32-bit version).

Then tried on Live edited 5632 build, no issues.
And 5675 image edit, same as full Windows, only license agreement crash.

Now if it crashes for you only after typing credentials and logging in, or if you happen to try the latest build (5675), let me know and make sure to attach the new preset if it differs.

Thanks.

I think I figured out what my issue was. It seems to be from including KB4022405. Before making modifications to my install source, I will roll up an unmodified vm and run Windows updates on it to see what it currently pulls. I make a note of what is found by WU and add those to the modified install. I modified one install without including any updates and Skype launched without issue. I tried again with all the current updates leaving out KB4022405 and it is working properly.

Btw. this was happening with the current NTLite build and with both 1703 and 1709. The machine will eventually pick up KB4022405, but Skype will continue to launch without issue.

Does the ordering of adding updates within NTLite have any effect? If I add the troublesome update after other updates in NTLite, do they somehow get applied in that order?

Does the ordering of adding updates within NTLite have any effect? If I add the troublesome update after other updates in NTLite, do they somehow get applied in that order?
1.- No, not at all.
2.- If you want the update integrated at last, you will need to left out the update for a second "Mount, Load, Apply" process where you will add the update.

@David Gardner, interesting. KB4022405 is Servicing Stack upgrade and is only for 1703.
The issue was tested on 1709 where that KB should not be coming up.
To confirm the premise before retesting:
- with your preset you get KB4022405 on 1709 WU?
- and after installing that KB post-install, it causes the Skype to crash?

I'm a bit confused as you mention integrating it, it should not be integrated to 1709, I would be surprised you don't get "not applicable" error message.
Also important is to know if you edit the image in multiple sessions to replicate this.
If removals are before updates, that is not recommended, talking about the only order that matters, it should all be done at once allowing the tool to sort it, or integrate then remove if using multiple sessions.

Thanks.

@nuhi,
I just rolled up a fresh 1709 installer with no updates baked into it and it is not giving me the issue. But, I ran an older 1709 installer that I rolled up and it gave me the error. Unfortunately, I've lost the preset information to back track to what was done to the failing one.

To answer your second question, the 1703 image would pick up KB4022405, but it would continue to launch Skype without issue afterwards. So, it may be that this update is not actually the issue.

If you see any value in my continuing to troubleshoot this, let me know. At this point, I have it sorted and will move on. If you'd like me to do more testing, I will try to maintain a history of what I've done to be able to backtrack better. Just let me know if you see value in further testing.

Thanks David, then let's move on for now. If you see anything out of the ordinary, let me know.

Back