MS .NET Framework update breaking things (Win10)

pmikep

Am running a heavily 'Lite'd Win 10 1909 Core. Used NTLite to install KB 4569751, .NET Framework update for v 3.5 and 4.8.

It broke Task Scheduler. (Can't find MMC Plug-in.) It broke Intel's iGPU Control Panel. (Old Stand-alone version.) Perhaps more.

Don't know if it's just me (due to 'Lit'ing) or affects everyone.

I tried the update to .NET Framework again in October (I think it was). IIRC, MS had updated the update.

But it still breaks my Task Scheduler, MMC Plug-Ins, and Intel's (old) iGPU Control Panel.

I tried installing the KB from both inside NTLite and outside, just to see if it was an NTLite problem. It broke stuff both times.

So it seems to be a MS problem.

So, now that I refreshed to Win10 2004, I thought I would try the cumulative update for NET Framework again, KB4580419.

For me, it still breaks Intel's (old) Graphic Control panel and Handbrake. (Although the snap-in's for Administrative Tools work in 2004, whereas they didn't in 1909.)

But it must be just me. 'Cause when installed a fresh 2004 in a VM, ran the update for NET Framework, Handbrake works on that.

And I don't see people griping on the Internet about this KB breaking things.

After I install the update, Handbrake says that I need Net Frame 4.0. But when I try to install that (with an offline installer), the installer reports that I already have a higher version of Net Frame installed.

I've tried MS's NET Framework Repair Tool. But apparently, over the past year, I've buggered up something in my Win10 that is breaking NET Framework somehow. (Or I removed too much. Or have disabled too much.)

This is one of the reasons in favor of installing fresh versions of Win10.

OTOH, I have so many tweaks/customizations to Windows, that I'm willing to suffer with this Framework issue.

try this in a vm. install untouched iso, enable net3.5 as per pm, install net4, then add your other updates, see what HB says.
get your results 1st, may be worth informing HB dev team to see what they say.

So, today I did the unthinkable. I allowed Windows Update to look at my system. (I told SledgeHammer to temporarily allow updates.)

My system is Win10, 2009, aka 20H2. (Why all the numbers MS?)

The update page was confusing to me.

Initially, it said that it wanted to download KB4580419 and KB4586876,, which are cumulative updates for NETFramework.

So I let it download those two KB's.

But after rebooting, the KB listed in Control Panel (View Installed Updates), installed today (12/5/2020) neither of these KB's. Instead, it was KB4578968, an update from October 2020.

NET Framework update for 20H2.jpg

While I'm posting about this, here's what NTLite wants to offer me. It's the same two KB's for NETFramework as MS. (Although the dates of the MS KB's are later than the dates shown in NTLite.)

Unnecessary NET downloads NTLite q.jpg

I don't see KB4578968 in the list.

Also, note that NTLite wants to offer me these two KB's even though I just downloaded them via MS's Updater and, presumably, installed them.

Yeah, I'm confused.

In any event, HandBrake opens fine now. So apparently the updated NETFramework is working okay on my system now.

(But I don't know why.)

pmikep run ntlite on the updated live system, go to Updates and see what is reported as Superceeded in the right hand pane.
if in doubt shove the bloody lot in and let ntlite do the cleanups.

Last edited:
I tried Clanger's advice, but I am still of the opinion that NTLite is messing up here. I say this because I installed a clean Win10 20H2 on my computer. I let Windows Update update it.

Windows update installed KB4586876. (The October Cumulative update.) But it did not offer KB4580419. (The September update.)

But when I ran NTLite Live on this fresh install that had just been through Windows Update, and asked it for updates, NTLite still says that B4580419 is valid. (I didn't force the issue.)

It is valid because the other is a preview, considered like a beta. So you can choose which one to install.

Back