Narrator.exe crash (The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer)

tted

So after ntliting, when I press -windows key- -ctrl- -enter-
to start narration I get an error "the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer" relative to narrator.exe
I've had problem protecting narration integrity in the past.
A compatibility option for narration would be nice.
Otherwise please kindly let me know what wrong with my preset.
If you notice any other problems with my preset, don't be shy.
Of relevance, the iso is LTSC 2019 february updated, and the chosen image is Enterprise N.
I've also attached feature preset as it does seem to relate.

Attachments

• 3.ComponentsNSettings.xml
    49.1 KB
  • 1.FeaturesNDrivers.xml
    6.9 KB
Removing Speech TTS breaks Narrator. Plus you can't select the voice.

Faulting application name: Narrator.exe, version: 10.0.17763.1697, time stamp: 0xd3b83d12
Faulting module name: SRH.DLL, version: 10.0.17763.2989, time stamp: 0x4c041db0
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000002c9dc
Faulting process id: 0x7f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8ea332221415d
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\Narrator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\SRH.DLL
Report Id: e4e44d8f-06f0-4436-9df9-89ecfbd77ef4
Faulting package full name:

Text-to-Speech & Speech Recognition are separate features. For example, a visually impaired person may need Narrator to hear what's onscreen, but can use a braille keyboard instead of voice input.

While many users complain about new app releases requiring Accessibility support, it's still worthy to protect them (TTS, voice input, OSK) under Compatibility mode.

Thanks garlin, connected Narator with Speech TTS dependency in next.

Accessibility being needed for those 2 games was fixed, as for the other popular requirements I'm not aware of, please point me to the fact that the compatibility option is needed.
Compatibility is usually added if there are multiple scattered components needed for a Windows feature.
In this case it seems straightforward - need a Narrator, keep a Narrator. Next version will then show that it also requires TTS to be enabled or it won't allow to re-enable Narrator.

Back