.NET applications won't install & updates permanently disabled (Windows 7 64bit)

Domarius

Hi guys, I used NTLite and the first 2 guides at https://www.ntlite.com/support/ to create an integrated Windows 7 64 bit Professional, which I assumed was up to date with everything I need.

My first and only problem so far is installing drivers and other programs that depend on .NET - they say it's missing. And the attempts I've made to install it manually fail, saying the system doesn't support this version of .NET. I tried all versions back to 4.7. That gave me a more helpful error saying some things might be missing from Windows 7. Trying to install them manually also had problems (I can't remember) but a recommendation I saw, was to do it through Windows Updates.

And then I encountered something I've never seen before using NTLite - I cannot enable Windows Updates. Every time I click to enable Windows Updates, it says the service is not running and I need to restart. Restarting didn't fix it, I found a fix online - open services.msc, stop the "Windows Update" service, delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, start the Windows Update service again, and run Windows Update.

So I'm going the long way round and installing my updates via Windows Updates again. I was hoping I could avoid it. What is the correct way to make a fully integrated and up to date Windows 7 ISO?

Last edited:
A pinned post here showing users how to make a preset and how to structure their help request would save us a lot of time. I look for these pinned posts before posting anywhere and I follow them to the letter.

I don't know how to make a preset and I've wiped windows since then. If it helps, I just followed the guide "Windows Updates Integration" on this page. https://www.ntlite.com/support/ and accepted the defaults. NTLite looked like it knew what it was doing, making its own list of updates for the version of Windows 7 Professional I chose. Perhaps that guide is out of date?

All I have left is the folder I made the image from using NTLite, the ISO, and the USB I made using the Windows USB creation tool.

For what it's worth, I've attached a file list of the entire file & folder structure NTLite used to make the ISO.

Attachments

• Win7Pro file list.txt
    72.1 KB
Last edited:
Nobody had problems with clicking save button at top, so we don't have guides for saving something

1576019139761.png

Do your changes and save preset thanks.

I got sick since the last posted so I'm just typing this from my bed on my phone. But from what I can gather, it seems we are supposed to actively choose which updates we are getting. I can tell you I definitely didn't do this, I just moved through with the default setup after loading Windows 7 Professional image. So I didn't actually make any changes for you to see.

So it seems I am supposed to know which updates I want or use someone else's preset? If so, is there a simple preset for just getting all the updates released to date for my system?

Back