Network Adapters Removed Despite VMware Compatibility Checked

I'm building a Windows 7 image for use in VMWare. I have Network Discovery, Network Map, and VMWare compatibility turned enabled. Despite this, I've attempted multiple builds and every time, there are is no network adapter inside the OS. I've done a lot of trial and error to identify what I'm removing that would be causing this, to no avail. I think there's a component that should be protected under the VMWare compatibility that isn't being protected.

I've attached the last preset that I tried.

It is based off a preset (Tinybot4_3S_Final.xml) that worked awhile back, but with slight modifications. I've used winmerge to compare them and I was unable to find anything that would make sense to me as to what would cause this.

I am using the newest version of 1.5 available as of the date of this posting.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the report.
Would you please export hardware info for that VM? File - Export HW....
Then attach the XML here or to support email.

I tested on a default Win7 VMware and it's fine, but it may be differences due to VM setup.

When I use the base image that these builds are from instead (No changes from an original W7 except for being current on Windows Updates), the network adapters exist and the internet works fine. I'm using identical VMWare settings for all of these, I am simply replacing the vmdk for each install.

There are network components that are removing drivers, while i can't tell you exactly wich components (i'm contacting support for something related to this, my personal reason), here is a list:

Internet Connection Sharing (read the description in Application Layer Gateway...)
Internet Protocol Helper
Simple TCP/IP services

And maybe this:
NDIS User Mode
Routing and remote acces support

There are network components that are removing drivers, while i can't tell you exactly wich components (i'm contacting support for something related to this, my personal reason), here is a list:

Internet Connection Sharing (read the description in Application Layer Gateway...)
Internet Protocol Helper
Simple TCP/IP services

And maybe this:
NDIS User Mode
Routing and remote acces support

Thank you. I will experiment later tonight and report back my findings.

I took the advice offered by Kasual, and the network adapters returned. I'll do some trial and error to see exactly which component was causing it.

Start keeping these two:
Internet Protocol Helper
Simple TCP/IP services

Sometimes i had removed a component (network location awareness, network list or both), this is not a problem to connect to internet, maybe for connecting to computers to the same network because the IP started with 10.#.#.# and the network icon in the tray system appears to be disconnected.

@trentfromrid, thanks for the hwlist, compared the preset after loading + the protection of the hwlist, and the list for removal is the same.
Can you please upload or send me on email the machine VMX file? It contains hardware settings which I would like to try.
In parallel I can send you the latest pre-release, or wait Monday, should be released if no issues found.

Thanks.

Back