Newbie questions - achieve minimum size

davidjm

No doubt this is all me but i'm struggling to shrink anything, install or ISO. Ive followed this https://www.ntlite.com/tutorial-for-creating-and-testing-a-700mb-windows-7-or-8-iso/ for my first run i updated service packs but that resulted in a boot loop on install. For the 2nd run i left them out, got a 5.25GB ISO and a vanilla Windows install of 9.13GB SP1, not updated. I was hoping for something much smaller, i havent done anything with the WinXS folder yet as described here https://www.sevenforums.com/customization/397462-detailed-procedure-using-rt7-lite.html

What i am trying to achieve is a minimal install in order to use the 16GB SSD with an HP thinclient as a simple logging system. Ultimately i need SQL 2008R2, Teamviewer, NET framework 4 and a few other programs, say about a GB and some space for data, say 2GB plus Windows (say 2GB swap) and some space for its growth. Updates will be turned off, dont need error reporting etc any tips on achieving this in NT Lite?

Thanks, David

Hi,

regarding the size. Make sure to uncheck Windows Update and Servicing Stack compatibility options (Components - toolbar - Compatibility).
And remove Windows Update, that will trigger the maximum removal.
Will make this as a single-choice popup in one of the next versions.

Sure, last preset is saved as "autosaved session" xml, you can find it in the root of the ISO or in the tools .\presets folder.
Just make sure it's the correct one, depending how many sessions you had.
Open it with text editor, if it has many components listed, that's most probably the one. If it was the last session, then the latest modified date.

So take clean ISO (or pre-updated, it's also smart to integrate updates and do nothing else, save that as the base), load target, load preset, change, save preset with the clear name, apply, use ISO.
Repeat as long as you need to.

Btw virtual machines also come in handy to simplify the process.

Testing on ESXi, thought it easier!
Cannot find Components - toolbar - Compatibility, i have the above as options.

If you want the minimum, disable all Compatibilities, enable only those you want if any.
Enable machine compatibilities below to protect drivers, for example Host Machine and VMWare.

On the components page uncheck each branch except:
- Drivers
- Hardware support: Individual Devices, you can uncheck all else under Hardware Support if you don't need it

All else can go, and majority of those above but that requires more effort to filter out and they are small after removing all else.
There are a few other components that I keep, but we can go over that after you see the minimum size and how does it work for you.

Then test that ISO with your favorite applications inside a VM, if something doesn't work search around what it might be, or ask away.

Back