NTLite 1.6.3.6440 and 1.7 beta

I tried 1.7.0.6373 the other day. I have a bunch of observations.

I loaded Win7+SP1 Home Premium.

I went to Downloads, and then Enqueue.

Request: Is there a way to start a download of selected Enqueue files before Processing the wim?

I Removed a few KBs (like, I don't want IE11, don't need the update for XPS 'cause I'm gonna remove it later, etc.).

Speaking of unneeded KB's, I was surprised to fine that KB2552343 was not in the list. From years ago here in the forum, that was a suggested KB for the Convenience Rollup.

Then I started Processing the wim.

I got an Retry error during the Processing. It asked if I wanted to retry. I said yes.

Nevertheless, when I came back to the Download list later, I got this:

Verification.error.jpg

Something goofy with the two 522 downloads. (This was after trying the Verify operation.)

I tried to delete those two files from Download. There's no right click to delete them.

BTW, the right click "Open File Location" did not work for me.

I wasn't able to figure out how to clean this up. So I manually deleted them in my custom Download folder and ran the whole process again with a new Win7+SP1 wim. It worked okay this time.

But that brings up another request. It would be nice to save a "preset" of selected KB's in Downloads or Enqueue to use later. As it is now, every time I recall the list, I have to go back through the list and deselect the same files. Alternatively, it would be nice to have a "Deselect Missing Files" button, so that I can quickly prune the list to match what I had last time. (Although I think Presets is a better alternative.)

A small nit: I notice in the Updates page that some KB's have descriptions. Others are blank. Would be nice if they all had their description showing, as a last minute sanity check of KB's.

Also, I wanted to compare the KB's in the NTLite list in Updates to what is currently on my system. I finally found the "Filter" search feature. But it would help if it were either in Bold font, or if the Filter feature were up in the upper section of the box, where the Find feature is in other dialogues. (For consistency.)

Then I tried the new Enqueue feature in a Live Win7.

That seems to have worked well.

I purposely did not download the latest Rollup. I use WSUS Offline Updater for those, and my sense is that those guys curate the individual KB's in the large roll up, breaking them out individually if you only want Security updates.

I was surprised that NTLite offered KB's like XPS update and Lithuanian currency update when I have removed Lithuanian and XPS from my build.

NTLite did catch that before Processing, telling me that those KB's, along with a few others, weren't applicable to my build. So I wonder why it can't look ahead and know that during the Enqueue process. (Not a big deal. Just obsessing.)

In the end, NTLite added 14 KB's - all from like, 2011 - to my current Win7. So I guess WSUS had missed some of those .(They probably weren't considered critical by the WSUS guys. Like the one that removes the Win10 free update stuff.)

Request: Is there a way to start a download of selected Enqueue files before Processing the wim?
Yeah, select those that are not downloaded or incomplete after Verify, and press Download.

Speaking of unneeded KB's, I was surprised to fine that KB2552343 was not in the list. From years ago here in the forum, that was a suggested KB for the Convenience Rollup.
Doesn't ring a bell, if you see anything on Windows Update on install, with just NTLite updates, let me know. Other than .NET and Defender, those are not yet supported.

I got an Retry error during the Processing. It asked if I wanted to retry. I said yes.
Retry which action? Next time it happens, log at that moment please.

Something goofy with the two 522 downloads. (This was after trying the Verify operation.)

I tried to delete those two files from Download. There's no right click to delete them.
Thanks, will add Delete.

BTW, the right click "Open File Location" did not work for me.
Were you selecting the incomplete or not even started to be downloaded file?
If it was for the existing/incomplete file, which host OS is that?
I need to remove that option for the not existing files, already on todo.

You can simple select on the left the incomplete files, or non existing ones, and choose to be Downloaded/resumed.

But that brings up another request. It would be nice to save a "preset" of selected KB's in Downloads or Enqueue to use later. As it is now, every time I recall the list, I have to go back through the list and deselect the same files. Alternatively, it would be nice to have a "Deselect Missing Files" button, so that I can quickly prune the list to match what I had last time. (Although I think Presets is a better alternative.)
True, per update list last selection would be nice, not in the actual preset as the Downloader is independent if ran from Source.

A small nit: I notice in the Updates page that some KB's have descriptions. Others are blank. Would be nice if they all had their description showing, as a last minute sanity check of KB's.
It would be possible only if Update page parses the Downloader data, and that is planned, yes.

Also, I wanted to compare the KB's in the NTLite list in Updates to what is currently on my system. I finally found the "Filter" search feature. But it would help if it were either in Bold font, or if the Filter feature were up in the upper section of the box, where the Find feature is in other dialogues. (For consistency.)
Do you mean the Updates / Existing Updates list or the Components page?
Kinda confused as to what is the upper section of the box, since Filter row is already first.

Thanks!

Then I tried the new Enqueue feature in a Live Win7.

That seems to have worked well.

I purposely did not download the latest Rollup. I use WSUS Offline Updater for those, and my sense is that those guys curate the individual KB's in the large roll up, breaking them out individually if you only want Security updates.

I was surprised that NTLite offered KB's like XPS update and Lithuanian currency update when I have removed Lithuanian and XPS from my build.

NTLite did catch that before Processing, telling me that those KB's, along with a few others, weren't applicable to my build. So I wonder why it can't look ahead and know that during the Enqueue process. (Not a big deal. Just obsessing.)

In the end, NTLite added 14 KB's - all from like, 2011 - to my current Win7. So I guess WSUS had missed some of those .(They probably weren't considered critical by the WSUS guys. Like the one that removes the Win10 free update stuff.)
The updater does not check for the component existance in the updates, also a nice suggestion :)

The updater does check for the existing updates, it dims them as disabled and are not pre-selected by default. Also in the State it states something like "Existing - Downloaded..."
Without that Existing, it's not on the currently loaded image.

WSUS never found all of the latest updates for me, and it downloads a few of the non applicable updates. I think the reason is this plus my reply below.

The Retry error occurred when NTLite was "Processing" a build. NTLite was downloading the KB's, showing progress bars, and one of the files must have timed out. If it happens again, I'll try to get a screen shot for you.

My guess is that WSUS didn't find all the updates because of they way they curate. But I don't have an explanation for why it would download non-applicable ones. Although my experience is that even when it downloads inapplicable KB's, it doesn't install them unless applicable. (Since I often get messages from WSUS about missing components, skipping.)

By using both NTLite and WSUS I think I can have the best of both worlds.

Regarding KB2552343 - it is recommended in the TUTORIAL for creating a 700MB Windows 7 or 8 ISO and install in a VM.

Since that Tutorial, several of us (including Clanger?) have included it in their Preset when bringing Win7+SP1 up to a Convenience Rollup Base, since the KB is supposed to fix a bug introduced with SP1.

I searched the Net to see if KB 343 was considered obsolete now. But I couldn't find anything to say that it was. (There's still a KB article about it.)

I dont use KB2552343 in my Convenience Rollup Base "3125574" pack. I do have it, I think it may be one of the WHD "without 3125574" updates but that folder is an unused one now and messy.

This is my current my Convenience Rollup Base "3125574" pack. Updates 1 to 4 are the pack, no5 is my latest CU. I wont be updating that setup any further, i have no need to.

Just incase anyone wonders why i am only using a limited number of updates. I am switching to Debian linux for internet work, windows 7 is for my offline workstation so it needs to be stable and doesnt have to be constantly updated for security porpoises. Updates 1 to 5 with net472 installed gives a perfectly stable installation for my needs.

Last edited:
So, on v1.7.0.644, there's something I don't understand.

Per the screen shot, there are two KB's in my Post-Setup page.

i.dont.understand.post.update.stuff.jpg

I don't know where they came from. Both were integrated into a Win7 Convenience Rollup Base wim before running this instance of NTLite. That is, they are NOT in the Updates section for this run. So why do they show up now?

Even though they are grayed out, I thought I should remove them. So I right clicked and removed both of them. Only to find out during processing that "Remove" really does mean remove here.

If they were deferred before, when I created the Convenience Rollup Base, I didn't see them in Post-Setup. But that's probably because I used a previous version of the beta and so post-setup KB's weren't supported. Although, apparently, they were integrated nonetheless.

And dove tailing on my Reply above, when I first started to Process my image and then realized that NTLite was going to really remove those two KB's, I clicked the big red "Cancel" button in NTLite.

The program appeared to halt processing. Then I unmounted the image I was working on and told NTLite to Forget it. Then I got this screen. And NTLite closed.

error.after.deleting.mount.6440.jpg

P.S. I like NTLite's full context dialogue boxes. Much better than Microsoft's 0x000008dc error messages. Or OS/2's Error # 638229.

Last edited:
Does anyone still have the 0x800f081f error with this (1.6.3.6400) version when installing the latest CU through Windows Update after integrating the previous one and removing and configuring some things with NTLite?

Last edited:
For the 2 updates in the post-setup page, that is how NTLite handle it because those updates can't be integrated 'by design':
Note for OEMs and system builders

Do not slipstream this update into preconfigured operating system images. You must run this update only after the operating system is installed and the Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) is finished.

If you don't know where they came from, they could come from NTLite update downloader if you didn't using another method.

These updates are grayed out because you don't need to do anything about, the commands are set by NTLite.

The update files are copied to sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Updates and the commands are set in setupcomplete.cmd from the first time you build your updated wim base, before building the base wim you should see the updates listed in post-setup page, not in updates page (and later processes because NTLite reads the setupcomplete.cmd).

These days i'm trying to integrate 2862330 and 2830477 but can´t be integrated next to a lot of updates (my own list), been trying to install after running Windows Updates (not install from WU) but neither works (no removals at all, only tweaks).

For the 2 updates in the post-setup page, that is how NTLite handle it because those updates can't be integrated 'by design':

If you don't know where they came from, they could come from NTLite update downloader if you didn't using another method.

These updates are grayed out because you don't need to do anything about, the commands are set by NTLite.

The update files are copied to sources\$OEM$\$$\Setup\Updates and the commands are set in setupcomplete.cmd from the first time you build your updated wim base, before building the base wim you should see the updates listed in post-setup page, not in updates page (and later processes because NTLite reads the setupcomplete.cmd).

These days i'm trying to integrate 2862330 and 2830477 but can´t be integrated next to a lot of updates (my own list), been trying to install after running Windows Updates (not install from WU) but neither works (no removals at all, only tweaks).

I want a full integration, not a Post-Setup one where I must restart the PC after logging in for the first time in order for it to install the updates. Besides, I already have a $OEM$ folder and if I combine the content of both I can't install Windows 10 in a VM in Hyper-V (it has a black screen before reaching the part where it asks for the username). What's the NTLite update downloader, by the way?

Last edited:
The only way to get Full integration is to capture an image. What you want and what is possible are 2 different things.

pmikep, those KBs on the post-setup page are for those updates not supporting the normal integration, this is the only way to satisfy Windows Update. Those were hidden before 1.6 or so. Will check if the removal works anyway, they are grayed out so potentially it's intentional, just the button should not have been enabled.
I would like to see that NTLite.dmp file from the crash, please send it to my email.

Thanks.

Back