[closed] NTLite, removing a few components from live install, if other NTLite customizations at defaults, resets previous OS changes to match defaults

catsmoke

When I run NTLite and remove components from my live Windows 7 Pro installation (or if I make any other changes, using NTLite), and I've neglected to also go through and change any other of NTLite's options, such as the Services options, and then I apply the component removals I've specified in NTLite, the customizations and changes I've made to my Windows Services and Settings are reset, to how they were set, in NTLite.

My assumption had always been that NTLite, when it loads a live Windows install, would check how I have my current Windows options set, and then match them, in the way that NTLite has the live Windows install's options toggled. But, instead, it ignores the in-place customizations of my live install, and then when I apply NTLite's changes, it resets the options of my live install to match the NTLite choices.

More than once, due to my having forgotten this, I've run NTLite for the sake of removing a handful of components from my live Windows install, and have had the Services and Settings of my Windows reset to how they were configured in the context of the unmodified NTLite default settings. This has negated the results of a lot of time and effort I'd spent, on customizing the options in my Windows Services and Settings, and in other Windows areas where options can be changed.

Have I operated NTLite incorrectly? Is there a way that I can run NTLite on a live Windows 7 Pro install, and have NTLite adjust its toggled options to match the changes I've already made, to my live install, so that I can remove a few components from the live install, and use NTLite to apply those changes, without NTLite also changing all my other customized options in my live install to match how they are set, in NTLite's default configuration, without also having to go through all of NTLite's options, and manually change them all, to match the customizations I've already applied (without having used NTLite to do so)?

Have you loaded a preset prior to running NTlite?

Not any of the times that I've experienced the problem which I describe in my original post.

I do hope that I am describing NTLite's default behavior. If I have caused my problems, by having changed an NTLite option which then worked against me, I apologize.

I've had this problem strike me many times. This is because I'll go a few months, and forget that NTLite works in the way I've described.

Having forgotten, and then feeling the desire to eliminate some of the bloat, from my live Windows install, I'll fire up NTLite. Once the program is running, I'll load my live Windows install, and then select the components that I wish to remove, ignore the rest of NTLite's options, and go straight to Apply. I'll apply my changes, reboot, and then face the demoralizing reality: my clumsy misuse of NTLite has meant that my application of the program, by which I had intended to quickly remove some unwanted components, has instead, for all practical purposes, irretrievably fouled-up my carefully-configured combination of Windows customizations.

Perhaps I should have started a thread in this forum's "Suggestions" subforum, instead. My suggestion would be, of course, that NTLite have the capability to read the state of the options of the live Windows install, and then for NTLite to change the state of its own options, to match the state of the live Windows install which the NTLite user has loaded.

Due to the lack of any other responses, I assume that what I describe is NTLite's default behavior, and that there is no way to automate the import of a live Windows install's current options choices, and therefore replace the default option choices of NTLite.

Thus, I will end this thread with advice, to those who are investigating this topic:

When you run NTLite, on a live Windows install, keep in mind that when you load your live Windows install into NTLite, then NTLite's options default choices will not change, to reflect the current state of configurations, of your live Windows install, but rather NTLite will retain its default options choices. Do not make the mistake of loading your live Windows install into NTLite, making a few changes (such as choosing some Components for removal), and then running NTLite without also going through all of the other NTLite options and making sure that they either match the current options of your live Windows install, or are set to a state to which you want your live Windows install to be changed. When you run NTLite on a live Windows install, you will change all of your Windows customizations to match the way those options are configured, in the NTLite menus, regardless of how your live Windows options had been configured, when you'd loaded that live Windows install into NTLite.

Back