NTLite v2.3.0.8375 - Detected file in use within the mount directory

Kjell

Issue
I've got the latest Premium features with my NTLite Home subscription and I'm trying to build Windows 11 Pro For Workstations from a image directory which I acquired by extracting the official Windows 11 ISO with 7zip to my desktop but every time when I get to boot.wim 2. Microsoft Windows Setup (amd64) > Save changes to the image step NTLite my desktop flashes and then my explorer is opened

Setup
I've tried this with two computers and the issue is identical even with a fresh installation of NTLite v2.3.0.8375
- Windows 10 - 21H1 (19043.1237)
- Windows 10 - 1809 (17763.253)

What I've tried
1. Disabling Windows Defender, I don't use any other antivirus software
2. In NTLite settings I've tried using different directories:
- Temporary directory: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\NTLite\Tmp
- Scratch directory: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\NTLite\NLTmpScratch
- Downloaded updates: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\NTLite\Updates
- Extracted updates cache: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\NTLite\Extracted

Sometimes even when I click on Erase in settings I get this error.

What could be wrong, I've never experienced this error with older versions of NTLite?

Attachments

• ntlite.png
    ntlite.png
    67.1 KB
  • NTLite.log
    976 bytes
  • NTLite_dism.log
    57.7 KB
  • WIN11.xml
    20.5 KB
Last edited:
Managed to fix the issue by storing all NTLite files on my desktop :)
- Temporary directory: C:\Users\User\Desktop\NTLite\Tmp
- Scratch directory: C:\Users\User\Desktop\NTLite\NLTmpScratch
- Downloaded updates: C:\Users\User\Desktop\NTLite\Updates
- Extracted updates cache: C:\Users\User\Desktop\NTLite\Extracted

Did you have regedit open? NTLite couldn't unload the reg hive from the mounted temp folder.

2021-10-09 15:53:50 Error - Hive file missing: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\NTLite\Tmp\NLTmpMnt01\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE
2021-10-09 15:53:50 Corrupt or unfinished mount entry, try unloading it and start again.
C:\Users\User\Desktop\Win11_English_x64\Sources\install.wim
2021-10-09 15:53:50 Error - Hive file missing: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\NTLite\Tmp\NLTmpMnt01\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE

UPDATE I've installed official Windows 11 without NTLite tweaks or any system modifications nor extra apps and I still get the same error. The best semi-workaround (which only works if all subfolders are empty) is still #2

This sounds a lot like this NTLite + Windows 11 + Start11 or StartAllBack. The common link being desktop opening Explorer.
I don't use Start11 or StartAllBack :(

Did you have regedit open? NTLite couldn't unload the reg hive from the mounted temp folder.
Good catch!
I had everything closed except for NTLite

I'm not pointing fingers to Start apps. Wonder if it's another Windows feature that highlights recent file changes, and launches an Explorer instance without your input. My suggestion still stands of running ProcMon to trace what's touching the directories (other thread).

Kjell, got another report similar to this, and I see in your preset possible cause, not your fault.
The WinRE editing, it's inside install.wim, so potentially the tool did not correctly sequence winre.wim unmounting before install.wim one.
Will reply when fixed, for you to test if that was all.

Thanks.

Just released, let me know if all good now.
Thanks for your feedback.

nuhi Looks like I found a (new) way of getting this error
I've grabbed Txmmy GamerOS preset and I've made a minor tweak (I applied the settings to the boot image and I added back Hyper-V Guest component) which makes NTLite complain about the resource being used. I've tried multiple times and got the same result:
gameros.png

Attachments

• GamerOS11.xml
    77.9 KB
Back