Office 2016 gives an error at the end of the installation

AeonX

nuhi even keeping office compatibility checked I get an error at the end of installing Office 2016 Professional Plus on Windows 10 version 1909 and 20H2 with similar presets. Office 2010 installs normally. I am using NTLite 2.1.0.7797. In previous versions of NTLite I did not have this error even though removing many more components and fonts and with office compatibility unchecked but I deleted my backups from the installers :( the latest versions seemed stable and my backup was a little old. My presets are attached.

The worst part is that I have no idea which component may be causing this and I need an ISO working with some urgency.

Office_2016_error.png

Attachments

• Win10-1909-Test.xml
    39.4 KB
  • Win10-20H2-Test.xml
    39.6 KB
Last edited:
Testing, confirmed, will post when I know which component in an hour or so.

Thanks.

I was able to find versions 2.0.0.7742 and 2.0.0.7770 to download and the same problem occurs in them :confused:

I remember having tested office 2016 and having it running a while ago but I may have removed some component that I didn't remove before...

I changed the preset to 1909 a little bit and office 2016 is working with it. It can be useful to see the difference between the presets and what components have been maintained in order to allow for error-free installation so I think it helps to find the component that is causing this. I attached it.

If I discover the component I will post it here.

Attachments

• Win10-1909-Test-2.xml
    37.9 KB
Thanks, will check that as well.
Btw this testing is very annoying, do you have a loooong hang of Office 2016 setup at 78%?
On full Windows tested - but after that it finishes without error.

edit: confirmed, with your second preset it works, hunting which is it.

Last edited:
It is "taskscheduler32 'Task Scheduler - 32 bit'"
Will add it to Office compatibility, 64-bit version was there already.

Let me know if you confirm, no need to return MMC control when it asks on rechecking this.

Thanks.

Yes testing this is tiring and the installation takes a long time.

At a certain point the installation seems to be stopped and after a while it soon ends but it doesn't take much time with me I think it's because I only install the essentials (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and disable several other things in the installation). I created an .msp with Office Customization Tool and copy it to the updates folder.

Let me know if you confirm, no need to return MMC control when it asks on rechecking this.

Thanks.

I will test and confirm.

Thanks.

Confirmed, keeping Task Scheduler - 32 bit the installation ends without errors :)

Thank you for debugging and discovering it.

removing things always tricky,

i wonder if ntlite just export us a cmd file to enable/run and disable/kill every service and task was configured via ntlite... that way maybe we could not remove anything.

removing things always tricky,

i wonder if ntlite just export us a cmd file to enable/run and disable/kill every service and task was configured via ntlite... that way maybe we could not remove anything.
Who says that disabling task manager would not cause an issue as well.
This narrowing down of a minimum active OS is a much deeper point, security and convenience are opposites.

It's Windows application development that is not modular enough, developers rely on full unedited OS always being there, even though we may never need 32-bit Task Scheduler, now it needs to stay as their Office is using it on 64-bit OS where 64-bit Task Manager exists.
But that then invokes the whole topic of WoW64, and let's not go there, it's being trimmed in the next versions a bit more :)

Error messages like "something happened", also do not help in figuring out what it requires, the answers "run sfc /scannow" on each question on Microsoft forum is kinda funny - OS is not supposed to stay on default, it's not a console.

Who says that disabling task manager would not cause an issue as well.
ive had issues as i mentioned in post no8 and i gave a solution, barebone the tasks. ive got a ready made barebone task file for 8.1 that users can adapt, ask pmikep i know he uses a modified version of it and ive had no problems with it at all :)

might be handy for users to know what tasks to keep.

Error messages like "something happened", also do not help in figuring out what it requires, the answers "run sfc /scannow" on each question on Microsoft forum is kinda funny - OS is not supposed to stay on default, it's not a console.

ohh microsoft forums are just a joke. their forum moderators have the knowledge of baby boomers. i bet if they had no shame, they could just say "have you tried turning it off and on again sir?"

Wait a minute. you can add MS office on post-setup? or can you set it as a Unattended ? I would like to know the steps on how to do this.
I am LAzy :)

Back