Presets bug affecting NTLite version 1.8.0.7095 64-bit Free (limited, non-commercial)

NTLUser

Hello you all.

In brief:

I'm facing a presets bug affecting NTLite version 1.8.0.7095 64-bit Free (limited, non-commercial)

In depth:
This weekend I've been working on a Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 17763.720 install.wim. I've been making custom changes to the vast majority of the one hundred and sixty eight items available under Configure > Settings and then saved them with the Preset menu option Save dialog. After some testing of WIM editing I decided to apply those patiently researched on the Internet for convenience and/or security and consequently fine-tunned settings on a fresh install.wim trying to go from a default mostly gray-dotted column to an alternating one consisting in green and red dots with a few of them in gray and blue as in the previous customizations session. As you can see that is an important waste of time.
Additionally, Automate > Post-Setup customizations are neither re-applied (even when present in the .xml file customizations like "Add > Template > Disable hibernate" and "Add > Template > Disable user password expiration").

There is available any workaround to enforce/ensure entire saving and re-application of customizations?
If not:
There is a plan to fix it in the next release?

Thank you for attending to this post. :)

Please note that forum searchs regarding this matter were made before sending this post.

I am facing the same problem but with a home-licensed version 1.8.0.7095 x64.
A few days ago I NTlited an image, installed and tested it. Now after finished testing I wanted to re-apply the prefiously saved preset to another image, but I couldn't. I had to do all the setting manually again.
In such a situation it nearly impossible to re-do manually all the settings exactly as a few days ago.
May be I'm too stupid and did not find the trick to re-use the save template for a new image; or is it a real but?
Would be great to hear from anyone what happened resp. what can I do.

check your preset size, if its 5kb you did this

maybe you just applied settings to your iso in step one and tested if its working

then u converted to iso and created iso as step 2

if u saved 2nd one's preset, u won't get any settings. i did that 2 times in the past and it hurts. normal preset should be around 10-20 kbs

I am facing the same problem but with a home-licensed version 1.8.0.7095 x64.
A few days ago I NTlited an image, installed and tested it. Now after finished testing I wanted to re-apply the prefiously saved preset to another image, but I couldn't. I had to do all the setting manually again.
In such a situation it nearly impossible to re-do manually all the settings exactly as a few days ago.
May be I'm too stupid and did not find the trick to re-use the save template for a new image; or is it a real but?
Would be great to hear from anyone what happened resp. what can I do.

Hi Alt68er!, me again...

Because almost everything is prone to fail, I was cautious enough at the time I finished my second-round of customizations (the time I made a considerable amount of them with side-research..., first one I altered just a few of them...), I made a scrolled screenshot and, know what?, it worked wonders, because the third from-scratch job I managed to accuratelly replicate all the fine-tailored tweaks in which I spent hours (well..., not a lot of them but, certainly a bunch of minutes). It doesn't deny that it is a real annoyance to redo the whole work existing, at least in theory, a way to avoid it.

By the way..., as an awesome tip from my experience with NTLite, I sincerly recommend everyone NOT to input any bit of data at the "Automate > Unattended" section UNLESS it is the last work session just prior to saving the changes, compressing the image loaded, saving it as a wim and unloading it. No matter if that data is present in the "<Preset xmlns="urn:schemas-nliteos-com:pn.v1">" .xml file, it all is just not reaplied when loading presets between sessions..., hence my advice. (For some reason the web composer changed the colon ":" followed by lower case "p" with an emoticon).

About the files this program, and any other software too, (yes, including Windows) creates in an unsolicited way, I truly and strongly dislike that software, in general speaking, motu proprio decides to go generating unsolicited files (as logs, status, whatever...) UNLESS it is expressly indicated by the user. Files that I consider that are legitimate to produce in an unsolicited way are error logs, if and when, they match three criteria: (1) the unsolicited log is created upon an error condition ONLY, (that 'only' should be imperative); (2) the contents of the unsolicited log file should consist ONLY in information about the error condition, (not if the program itself was launched properly and the time of launch, not if the program did all the previous opperations properly, not if today is a nice day to find a new love..., JUST the error information) and in the sufficient amount, not too much, not too few, to helping identify the error); and (3) the appropriate amount of error information gathered must be presented to the user in a meaningful way ONLY, so the user should be able to solve the error described. A full drive of logs is not also useless but cell degradating nowadays. An error log with hundreds or thousands of lines of tasks completed and just a dozen error lines is useless. An error log with cryptic and a processor registries dump in hex values is useless. Logs unsolicited creation can be done in the right way and informing about errors can, also, be done in the right way.

One last thing I wish to ask for regarding NTLite is, enabled by default or not, a setting in program configuration in the way:

[√] Lock live Windows installation from changes
Or
[√] Preserve live Windows from modifications
Or
[√] Protect the life of live Windows OS
Or
[√] I give you my promise of scout that I won't mess with currently installed Windows

... because NTLite opperation affected my current Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 and killed a lot of entries in my "Start Menu > All Programs" (don't ask me how many of them it deleted because I didn't keep the track, but they were a lot, it even cleared the "Startup" submenu contents. Fortunately it didn't uninstalled any program. Thanks God! Other possible negative effects are unknown for me, I've didn't notice any other wrong behaviour). In case you are wondering about it: No, I didn't loaded nor worked on the live Windows installation, just on the loaded WIM.

Disclaimer: I'm a non-native English speaker so language mistakes could be present.

Did either of you guys do what "ege914" suggested might have happened?
It is unusual in a place where people come for help/information to not respond to a "maybe this caused it" query, where at least if a "no, it wasn't that" response was given maybe someone else would have another response to offer and it might solve the problem.

Back