Question/Suggestion about some OOBE & other settings

SM03

Hello all, I've some questions regarding some of the OOBE & Desktop view settings setup while customising an ISO via NTLite which I can't find into the latest NTLite v1.7.0.6522, I searched every setting over there throughout & made a fully customised ISO but still cannot able to find these, so here I am posting it here for some help.
I Hope to get any help from anyone if those features exist & if not then I'd like to request nuhi to add/integrate all these features into the next release. Thanks

During the unattended OOBE setup, didn't find any option for the followings settings to enable/disable/set

1. Activity History Enable/Disable
2. Link your phone & PC or not to link
3. OneDrive Enable or Disable
4. PIN Setup (I presume it might not be possible to integrate this feature via NTLite, or is it
5. Set Cortana Yes or No
6. Set PC for Personal or Organization Use

In the Configure/Features section didn't find any option for the followings settings to enable/disable/set for Desktop & Explorer section

7. To set the desktop icons default view settings from ‘Medium’ to the ‘Small icon’?
8. To set the search Icon default view settings from ‘Show’ to ‘hidden’ in Taskbar

Attaching the screenshots for references.

Attachments

• Activity History EnableDisable.jpg
    Activity History EnableDisable.jpg
    1.9 MB
  • Link your phone & PC or not to link.jpg
    Link your phone & PC or not to link.jpg
    2.2 MB
  • OneDrive Enable or Disable.jpg
    OneDrive Enable or Disable.jpg
    2.1 MB
  • PIN Setup.jpg
    PIN Setup.jpg
    1.2 MB
  • Set Cortana Yes or No.jpg
    Set Cortana Yes or No.jpg
    2.5 MB
  • Set PC for Personal or Organization Use.jpg
    Set PC for Personal or Organization Use.jpg
    1.7 MB
  • desktop icons default view settings from Medium to the Small icon.png
    desktop icons default view settings from Medium to the Small icon.png
    53.7 KB
  • search Icon default view settings from ‘Show’ to ‘hidden’ in Taskbar.jpg
    search Icon default view settings from ‘Show’ to ‘hidden’ in Taskbar.jpg
    2.6 MB
Hi,

1. "Activity recommendations when switching devices" and "Use my signed-in devices history" tweaks
2. Not sure if possible with Windows Unattended
3. "OneDrive" tweak
4. Not sure if possible with Windows Unattended
5. "Cortana" tweak
6. Not sure if possible with Windows Unattended
7. Try integrating the attached reg (SmallIcons)
8. Try integrating the attached reg (DisableSearchTray)

Attachments

• DisableSearchTray.reg
    304 bytes
  • SmallIcons.reg
    388 bytes
I searched the branch in your reg file above, before and after auto arranging and its not there. Thanks for the link. :) If the values are fidderent between os then let users upload a working reg file, saves you time :).
Thanks to that link i know where to look, compare b4 and after reggies with winmerge.

MS do insist on having one drive, i only use mine occasionally from a web page. I think its by design, not a bug. MS uploads your stuff, scan those files,,,, tin foil hat stuff(prove me wrong). It was knowledge before 1809s completely cocked up release. Theres probably a master switch in Group Policy people havnt found or its hard coded so hard cheese.

nuhi This one works on 8.1 U3 :) The small icons tweak worked earlier but not now, it doesnt always apply, weird.

Last edited:
Hi,

1. "Activity recommendations when switching devices" and "Use my signed-in devices history" tweaks
2. Not sure if possible with Windows Unattended
3. "OneDrive" tweak
4. Not sure if possible with Windows Unattended
5. "Cortana" tweak
6. Not sure if possible with Windows Unattended
7. Try integrating the attached reg (SmallIcons)
8. Try integrating the attached reg (DisableSearchTray)

Hello nuhi

I exactly did what you've suggested & below are the results

1. Activity History Enabling or Disabling
3. OneDrive Enabling or Disabling
5. Cortana Enabling or Disabling

tried to follow your instruction but still got the same result. See new screenshots attached. Can you kindly specify the proper settings instructions for those in brief details?

2. Link your phone & PC
4. PIN Setup
&

As you already told that these features currently not possible or supported via NTLite so can you take these as a suggestion to implement in the future builds. Also, I tried this in the old v1.7.0.6545 & now that the newer versions 1.7.1.6572 & 1.8.0.6582 BETA released so any changes regarding these

7. To set the desktop icons default view settings from ‘Medium’ to the ‘Small icon’?

IDK why but the desktop icons are still set as 'Medium Icon' in View setting even after integrating your reg file. I will try this once again. Meanwhile, suggest me if any correction needed there.

8. To set the search Icon default view settings from ‘Show’ to ‘hidden’ in Taskbar [SOLVED by integrating your reg file]

Thanks for all of your help. Really appreciated.

Attachments

• 1. Activity History Enabling or Disabling.jpg
    1. Activity History Enabling or Disabling.jpg
    635.3 KB
  • 3. OneDrive Enabling or Disabling.jpg
    3. OneDrive Enabling or Disabling.jpg
    930.4 KB
  • 5. Cortana Enabling or Disabling.jpg
    5. Cortana Enabling or Disabling.jpg
    1.4 MB
Hello all, I've some questions regarding some of the OOBE & Desktop view settings setup while customising an ISO via NTLite which I can't find into the latest NTLite v1.7.0.6522, I searched every setting over there throughout & made a fully customised ISO but still cannot able to find these, so here I am posting it here for some help.
I Hope to get any help from anyone if those features exist & if not then I'd like to request nuhi to add/integrate all these features into the next release. Thanks

During the unattended OOBE setup, didn't find any option for the followings settings to enable/disable/set

2. Link your phone & PC or not to link
  3. OneDrive Enable or Disable
  4. PIN Setup (I presume it might not be possible to integrate this feature via NTLite, or is it
  5. Set Cortana Yes or No
In the Configure/Features section didn't find any option for the followings settings to enable/disable/set for Desktop & Explorer section

1. To set the desktop icons default view settings from ‘Medium’ to the ‘Small icon’?
  2. To set the search Icon default view settings from ‘Show’ to ‘hidden’ in Taskbar
Attaching the screenshots for references.

I only remember seeing the first step (which in my case doesn't show up since I must have disabled something in NTLite) even in an untouched install, not the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th ones.

I only remember seeing the first step (which in my case doesn't show up since I must have disabled something in NTLite) even in an untouched install, not the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th ones.
What? How's that possible? All those options are generic, did you customised somehow all those in OOBX?

What? How's that possible? All those options are generic, did you customised somehow all those in OOBX?
If you want to tweak, filter the options in Settings page using the words quick and history (select "keep history..." for more info), one at a time.

If you want to have the options available on setup when using unattended, try: in unattended page leave by default "skip'get going fast' page" and "skip Welcome center".

If you want to tweak, filter the options in Settings page using the words quick and history (select "keep history..." for more info), one at a time.

If you want to have the options available on setup when using unattended, try: in unattended page leave by default "skip'get going fast' page" and "skip Welcome center".

Sorry, but what are you telling me to do?

I found out you can skip msobe.exe all together.
Much cleaner result. And faster install.

You have to change the registry after the hardware phase is done.
for which topic you're suggesting this? can you explain a bit?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup] "OsLoaderPath"="\" "RestartSetup"=dword:00000000 "SetupType"=dword:00000002 "SystemPartition"="\Device\HarddiskVolume1" "SystemSetupInProgress"=dword:00000001 "SetupPhase"=dword:00000004 "CmdLine"="c:\windows\setup\nsudo.exe -u:t -p:e -wait -showwindowmode:show deploy.cmd" "OOBEInProgress"=dword:00000001 "WorkingDirectory"="c:\windows\panther"

start /wait %windir%\system32\oobe\windeploy.exe net user administrator /active:yes
And this is for what?

I found out you can skip msobe.exe all together.

You have to change the registry after the hardware phase is done.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup] "SystemSetupInProgress"=dword:00000001 "CmdLine"="c:\windows\setup\nsudo.exe -u:t -p:e -wait -showwindowmode:show deploy.cmd" "OOBEInProgress"=dword:00000001 "WorkingDirectory"="c:\windows\panther"

start /wait %windir%\system32\oobe\windeploy.exe
I don't understand why i would keep "setup in progress", "oobe in progress", set a "working directory" and run nsudo that gives elevated privileges.

I expected 1 or 2 registry changes to break oobe progress and go directly to the desktop.

Back