Remove Codecs

Paraf

Hello to everyone;
I looked at codecs with "Sysinternals autoruns". "Windows 8.1 Pro (U3) x64 - Client 6.3.9600.17415"
I think some of them can be remove.
There are self-contained programs that don't need codecs. Example: Media Player Classic Home Edition...
We don't already use many components of "Windows". Example: We use "chrome" instead of "internet explorer".
They don't need many codecs of "Windows".

"Remove Codecs"
For example:
a- 32-bit or 64-bit.
b- DirectShow Runtime or other (example: tsbyuv.dll = Toshiba Video Codec)
c- Mpeg audio & video or asf support.
d- Old codec (example: msgsm32.acm = Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC for MSACM) or new codec (example: qdvd.dll = Dvd Navigator)
e- Important (example: quartz.dll = AVI Decompressor) or unimportant (example: msg711.acm = Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law ve u-Law) CODEC for MSACM)

Please waiting for your ideas.
Please give your feedback.
The list of installed codecs is as follows:

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

This post was written with the help of "google translate". May be incorrect translation. I'm sorry. :eek:
If I hadn't spent so much time on the computer; maybe I would learned a foreign language. :mad:

This post was written with the help of "google translate". May be incorrect translation. I'm sorry. :eek:

Your post looks fine to me :), you want advice on removing uneeded codecs.

My best advice is to do a test build, remove the codecs, install the os then install your media software. If a required codec is missing the installer will probably give you an error warning, "xx codec is missing" etc. From my own experience, i deal in audio and video, is that some programs usually use the codecs for microsofts own file formats, wma(windows media auido) and or wmv(windows media video) and they are patent protected. Those types of programs usually are semi pro or pro products you have to purchase.

Freeware stuff like vlc, foobar2000, media player classic, audacity, wavosaur, media player classic, reaper daw(not free but i use it) usually include their own codecs or need LAME or FFMPEG libraries. If you use any of the following file formats, wav, aif/aiff, mp3, wv, flac, ac3(use ffmpeg), any apple audio/video format then the programs i have listed above work on their own or with lame and ffmpeg.

Best is to test for yourself, that is always the best way :)

Note, REAPER DAW uses VLC(use the installer) to play some video things and export video formats.

Last edited:
As always, thanks for your interest.
Clanger; You're helping all forums.
Clanger; especially your writings, helped me.
Clanger; the title you opened is great: https://www.ntlite.com/community/index.php?threads/windows-8-1.573/

Returning to our subject.
This title; For codecs that come with windows installation. External codec downloads are not included. No "Install codec".

Example:
Do you think you need it? Clanger; especially your ideas.

I think it should be removed (remove option in Multimedia):

All sub-branches: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
All sub-branches: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{083863F1-70DE-11d0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\Instance

(*.acm) an old extension. Most new programs are not interested.
msacm.l3acm MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM c:\windows\system32\l3codeca.acm
msacm.msgsm610 Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC for MSACM c:\windows\system32\msgsm32.acm
msacm.msg711 Microsoft CCITT G.711 (A-Law ve u-Law) CODEC for MSACM c:\windows\system32\msg711.acm
msacm.imaadpcm MSACM için IMA ADPCM CODEC c:\windows\system32\imaadp32.acm
MSACM için Microsoft ADPCM CODEC c:\windows\system32\msadp32.acm

I do not use Toshiba Video Codec.
vidc.yvu9 Toshiba Video Codec c:\windows\system32\tsbyuv.dll

I do not use DVD.
DirectShow DVD PlayBack Runtime. c:\windows\syswow64\qdvd.dll

I don't use * .asf, * .wmv, * .wma.
WM ASF Reader DirectShow ASF Support c:\windows\system32\qasf.dll

Midi? This format is outdated.
midimapper Microsoft MIDI Mapper c:\windows\system32\midimap.dll

The main subject; It can be added to ntlite's removal options. Decrease number of codec. We use the browser for video now. Example: Youtube and Chrome. I do not use Windows Media Player 11 or Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Dont touch the registry unl;ess you know what you are doing, if you are removing something then ntlite will sort the registry out, leave alone.
If you dont know what midi is then you probably dont need it, it isnt a codec, its a protocol for electronic music to allow 1 keyboard/sequencer to transmit key data to another.

I would say you are probably ok to remove all the codecs. VLC needed a component, video for windows(i think, it was a long time ago).

Since Windows 95; "Creative Sound Blaster" from the midi output; I couldn't see another midi device. VLC need (probably)
"HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{083863F1-70DE-11d0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\Instance" (All sub-branches)

I'd be worried about removing the audio codecs because often unexpected software may expect those codecs to be there things like games even the modern ones may use older codecs, or even some productivity programs which use sound effects. As much as I despise windows Media player I leave it in place for this reason.

Best is to test for yourself, that is always the best way :)

Clanger is right test it out and see lol. Perhaps disabling it in Autoruns and see if it breaks anything is a good place to start ?

Back