Removing range of editions from image at once

aviv00

removing one by one when there 8 editions increase the time for each op

and exporting it will make more wear on ssd which i want to avoid
thats why i use ramdisk
but it cant be big as i want it to be :D

ty for consideration

You already can do this. You open the image you want to keep, go to the Apply tab, and click "Save the image and trim editions" under Saving Mode. All other editions will be removed, except for WinRE/WinPE, which can be removed manually.

Yes this is needed rework. When I'm trying to remove unnneded editions from 36v1 its really slow also on SSD. Exporting needed editions without compression and recompressing should be quicker than deleting selected.

The trim editions feature assumes that you do not want to leave behind any editions but one. I would suggest a checkbox next to all of them to select which ones to "trim" or "delete". Sometimes I have to leave one behind because of some silly reason.

The trim editions feature assumes that you do not want to leave behind any editions but one. I would suggest a checkbox next to all of them to select which ones to "trim" or "delete". Sometimes I have to leave one behind because of some silly reason.
If I understand correctly, already exists in:
Apply page
In Saving mode
Select Save image
In Remove nonessential editions check the left box for all
Uncheck the box for the edition intended to keep on the left side checkbox, otherwise, select Trim in Saving mode.​

Kasual I'm sure this topic started because current process of removing unecessary edition is slow and should be much quicker using export image instead of removing image. For end user it's same process, but DISM Delete-Image really slow on huge install.wim. I'm going to explain it more detailed later

You can use Export from the Source page right-click on image and choose Export - WIM, if keeping only one edition.

For mixed choices, for example keeping only 2 and removing the rest, use the Apply page method, you want it to resave/export the image after deleting the editions to trim the excess files which may have been only in the removed ones.
Use the Apply page preview to see on the right what it is pending to do.

I'm glad I caught this, I thought the slowness in removing other editions was because I was using a VM. Still, I'm much more comfortable using NTLite over the DISM.exe Powershell/ edition removal method.

Based on my own current experience with many repeated sessions, I proactively do an initial session solely to remove all the editions down to the unedited Wim I want along with the PE, save it, then can easily import it for the big slipstreaming session, this at least gets that particular time consuming grunt-work out of the way.

This also helps if one feels a another full extraction from the source Win. ISO is necessary due to suspected corruption: just delete the newly extracted full Wim, then paste-in the saved, unedited one into the "Sources" folder; on a side-note, I also save my previously created "$OEM$" folder with the post-setup & script from the "Sources" folder to paste back into the newly extracted one, another big time-saver.

I proactively do an initial session solely to remove all the editions down to the unedited Wim I want along with the PE, save it, then can easily import it for the big slipstreaming session, this at least gets that particular time consuming grunt-work out of the way.

I do the same. I keep stock wim files for each edition I use and replace the install.wim just like you do when I want to create a new iso.

i use vhd method:
so i deploy the image from wim to vhd and capture back when im done
if i need to do something risky i use vhd difference [parent - child]

Thanks everyone for getting involved in the discussion. I wanted to clarify that I was indeed helped and appreciate the advice offered. However, don't see anyone mentioning that if you want to keep more than one index (example pro and home but not education and N editions) in an ESD, its still a manual process. you can "convert" the esd to wim in a single operation but that process every single edition individually. that takes a long time even on an ssd. it does this by exporting each index one at a time. I'm just asking for an option to select a more than one edition and have it only export those into a single wim. It can be done manually by exporting each index one at a time into the target wim but it would sure be handy to have a checkbox by each one and have it ntlite essentially doing the same workflow, just skipping editions.

modern iso's are exceeding the 4.3GB writable limit for a single layer dvd disc which is my preferred back up method and fallback method of installation in exceptional circumstances.

load the whole thing, clean out cache/temp files, .net cache files of the editions you want to keep and remove editions you dont want all from the Apply page.

Thanks everyone for getting involved in the discussion. I wanted to clarify that I was indeed helped and appreciate the advice offered. However, don't see anyone mentioning that if you want to keep more than one index (example pro and home but not education and N editions) in an ESD, its still a manual process. you can "convert" the esd to wim in a single operation but that process every single edition individually. that takes a long time even on an ssd. it does this by exporting each index one at a time. I'm just asking for an option to select a more than one edition and have it only export those into a single wim. It can be done manually by exporting each index one at a time into the target wim but it would sure be handy to have a checkbox by each one and have it ntlite essentially doing the same workflow, just skipping editions.
Only the first edition takes a long time, the next ones are reusing existing files.
See the progress how it goes 1-100% on a first edition, then the next ones are like 100% in a few seconds.

So converting all from ESD, then deleting what is not necessary from a WIM, then recompressing would be the sequence - that tasks the disk 2 full image writes.
It is true that deleting editions from an ESD directly does export the image, while deleting from a WIM does not.

You can automate the process mostly by using the Apply page - Remove unnecessary editions checkboxes as you wanted.
Meaning convert the ESD, load any edition, choose on the Apply page what to remove, Process.
Note that if the Apply page does not show any tasks other than manipulating the image, no worries.
Make it into a preset - then apply that in one go next time.
Let me know if I missed anything.

Back