Request for UI Enhancement in Download Updates

pmikep

The Download Updates is a cool new feature.

As I use it more, I'm requesting a new button. A button that users can select to prevent NTLite from selecting previously unselected/missing downloads. ("Do not select Missing updates." Or, shorter, "Skip missing updates.")

Here's why. Referring to my screen shot below, I purposely do not download the Adobe Flash Player update. (Since I remove IE later, and don't use Flash.) I purposely don't download the Monthly Rollups. (Since I use WSUS Offline Updater to install only security related updates.) And for sure I don't download the problematic Secure Boot update.

But NTLite thinks that those missing files are missing because there was something wrong when I tried to download them the first time. (Or possibly that the files were moved and/or corrupted.) And so NTLite wants to re-download them again.

But I don't want it to do that because when I point NTLite to my download folder, NTLite automatically imports all of them in the list for integration.

Arrgh! Even if I could see what the updates where in the Updates page and remove them from there, it's too much work to go through and uncheck updates I don't want.

So, how about a "Skip missing updates" button/option?

Download Updates suggestion.jpgDownload Updates suggestion.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion.
We can go two ways, either make the tool remember all unchecked ones, kinda tricky but doable.
Or add a button as you suggested, but going from another way, "Select downloaded"?

What about "External" updates in your scenario? Meaning those that are not on the latest online lists - may be obsolete or added manually to the same update cache folder.

IM gonna shoehorn this in here rather than open a new topic, hope you dont mind pmikep :)

nuhi W8.1 IE11 installed and enabled. Firefox in protable mode. Update download page, Open web article, NTLite opens IE by default, prolly the same on the Updates page. If we are running protable browsers NTLite wont see them because they are not installed and set as the default browser, duh. Could we have a Browser select option in the Settings please? Use system default or search for desired browser executable.

What about "External" updates in your scenario? Meaning those that are not on the latest online lists - may be obsolete or added manually to the same update cache folder.

Okay, I just updated the list of Updates for Win8.1 and came across the new "External" terminology for some of the KB's.

I didn't see the term "External" in the Guide about Updates. But I found the term in this post from last year.

So a few questions: First, if the "External" updates are now possibly obsolete, then why weren't they removed when I used the Trim function? (Which is buried in Settings. Perhaps the Trim button for trimming the Updates should be on the Updates page?) Update: I wasn't taking notes, and I probably have this report wrong here. That is, I probably did do a Trim and the "External" files were deleted.

Second, I was confused about the meaning of the term "External." If, for whatever reason, old KB's are not removed from the cache when Trim is used, then perhaps a better term is "Possibly Obsolete"? Or "Orphaned"?

In any event, I deleted all the External files, and then I re-updated the Update List.

Last, I am still looking for a way to blacklist certain KB's from NTLite's update function. Specifically, the KB for Secure Boot for Win8.1, which is problematic for Clanger and me when using NTLite. And I would like to add other KB's that I don't want.

Apparently there is already a blacklist of sorts in NTLite, since some KB's are not automatically selected by the tool (KB related to "Telemetry" for example.) So perhaps, like the Configuration window, perhaps we could have access to the black list, to add our own KB's? (Ideally I would be able to right click on a KB and chose the option "Move to Blacklist.")

Last edited:
Back