Requirement to be applied to Boot/Setup

Svan

Hi,

Would like to know if I need to apply the full preset to the "Boot/Setup" : "Microsoft Windows x64 Setup". What is mandatory (drivers only ???)

Mandatory? In that case only if drivers needed, otherwise nothing.
Optionally, drivers just in case, updates, settings. You can propagate all of it while editing Install.wim from the Apply page options.

Svan slimming down the boot.wim gives no noticable improvements in speed and does not affect the final install.
if,however, you are not prepared to take no for an answer read on.

for a lite "sensible" slim down remove PE from the boot.wim and from Microsoft Windows Setup remove 3rd party drivers and uneeded keyboards languages and fonts, see attached v6 preset for w7.

if the maniac in you screams "moar moar moar" run the whole preset then test out the resulting boot.wim with a default install.wim, it will be easier to hunt down any issues.

W7-Bootwim-Barebone-v6.xml here.

Last edited:
You can propagate all of it while editing Install.wim from the Apply page options.
I found it best to test a slim boot.wim with a default install.wim first, once the boot.wim is known working back it up and add to later builds, no need to keep running it.

Last edited:
Thanx for your replies I will stick to nothing if no storage controller driver is needed ;)

Back