ResetBase on Windows 7

Bournesup

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase is only supported by windows 8 and above. Thus I was curious to see that option to enable resetbase. I enabled the option. I then ran CMD (admin mode), and it showed command not recognized.

Moderator note - Related thread here.

Last edited by a moderator:
That option is mainly just for Win10, it reenables a bit more aggressive rebase.
I'll add a filter for Win8+.

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion :)

hello nuhi & all,

I've a question related to this DISM ResetBase Functionality. I searched before opening a new OP here & only found this thread, so without opening a new thread, asking here.

Does the DISM ResetBase Functionality is enabled by default in Windows 10 or disabled? How to check that?

And AFAIK, DISM ResetBase Functionality uses for cleanup the installed updates & components like CU & SSU etc from the OS WinSxS folder. Or that has anything to offer more apart from this? Can someone enlighten me in this matter?

If I enable this from NTLite option, then what'd be the difference? Without enabling it from NTlite option, does that mean anyone can't use this function after installing the OS?

Windows 10 only has a partial reset by default, you need to set that tweak to full and on LTSC 1809 the cleanup/reset is very agressive and a great improvement over LTSB 1607. I dont know if this still happens but im certain there used to be an issue with setting it to full then setting Features. On LTSC live install i add .net3.5, then my updates, then add the tweak and do the full cleanup/reset thing. I did post a bat file somewhere here but i cant remember where. My work on LTSC is very limited.

Windows 10 only has a partial reset by default, you need to set that tweak to full and on LTSC 1809 the cleanup/reset is very agressive and a great improvement over LTSB 1607. I dont know if this still happens but im certain there used to be an issue with setting it to full then setting Features. On LTSC live install i add .net3.5, then my updates, then add the tweak and do the full cleanup/reset thing. I did post a bat file somewhere here but i cant remember where. My work on LTSC is very limited.
Well, I don't use LTSC, but here I am talking about Win10 v1903 x64 retail/consumer based ISO, is it wise to turn on that feature via NTLite option or just leave that as it is (disabled) to avoid any issue?

JUst being specific as its w10. So far so good but im not changing features regularly, i do my stuff then capture. Depends on personal choice, i prefer to have maximum cleanup after update to help offset no liting or just lite liting.

Full ResetBase breaks the Reset this PC feature. This is perhaps why Microsoft disable ResetBase.
I have not seen any reports of another problem with ResetBase enabled.

Full ResetBase breaks the Reset this PC feature. This is perhaps why Microsoft disable ResetBase.
I have not seen any reports of another problem with ResetBase enabled.

Is it true? I thought it was the Recovery Reset support compatibility option disable that caused it and after I checked it and activated Full ResetBase it didn't have the Reset this PC feature although I only did this on 1809 x64.

Last edited:
Is it true? I thought it was the Recovery Reset suport compatibility option disable that caused it and after I checked it and activated Full ResetBase it didn't the Reset this PC feature although I only did this on 1809 x64.

Yes, but in addition to activating the tweak for Full ResetBase you need to run the command Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase to do the cleanup and shortly after it will break the Reset PC feature. If you do not cleanup I believe you will have no problems.

The Reset compatibility option is to protect with the removals and if you use the clean update backup option of NTLite.

Yes, but in addition to activating the tweak for Full ResetBase you need to run the command Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase to do the cleanup and shortly after it will break the Reset PC feature. If you do not cleanup I believe you will have no problems.

The Reset compatibility option is to protect with the removals and if you use the clean update backup option of NTLite.

So, if I uncheck the Recovery Reset support compatibility option, don't enable the Full ResetBase feature and run the Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase cmdlet will I be able to use the Reset this PC feature on 1903? I don't know what this Full ResetBase option does but does it need the user to run Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase to work and if so, why? What problems might I have if I use that clean update backup option of NTLite? I've been installing NTLite's latest versions when they are released but I haven't used the progran for months so I don't know what features have been added and what do they do (not to mention those that were already available when I used it and I didn't and still don't know what they do).

Last edited:
So, if I uncheck the Recovery Reset support compatibility option, don't enable the Full ResetBase feature and run the Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase command will I be able to use the Reset this PC feature on 1903? I don't know what this Full ResetBase option does but does it need the user to run Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase to work and if so, why? What problems might I have if I use that clean update backup option of NTLite? I've been installing NTLite's latest versions when they are released but I haven't used the progran for months so I don't know what features have been added and what do they do (not to mention those that were already available when I used it and I didn't and still don't know what they do).

If you uncheck the Reset compatibility option the components that are needed for it become available for removal and if you remove them you lose the feature anyway so if you want the Reset this PC feature check the compatibility option for this so that NTLite protects the necessary components. You only have to do this by default ResetBase will not be done even if you execute the above command.

Just do this:

7IjyttU.png

sWoQgcL.png

If you uncheck the Reset compatibility option the components that are needed for it become available for removal and if you remove them you lose the feature anyway so if you want the Reset this PC feature check the compatibility option for this so that NTLite protects the necessary components. You only have to do this by default ResetBase will not be done even if you execute the above command.

And what if I uncheck it but don't remove its components?

Just do this:

7IjyttU.png

sWoQgcL.png

So, it looks like it's called System Reset for Windows now. But shouldn't I enable the DISM ResetBase Functionality setting? Is it possible to add the Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase cmdlet to NTLite so that it executes it during or after the install or I have to manually run it after signing in?

Last edited:
And what if I uncheck it but don't remove its components?

It has the same result but why complicate? Make it simple.

So, it looks like it's called System Reset for Windows now. But shouldn't I enable the DISM ResetBase Functionality setting? Is it possible to add theDism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase command to NTLite so that it executes it during or after the install or I have to manually run it after signing in?

Do not enable DISM ResetBase Functionality if you want the System Reset to work. Use the DISM option in Clean update backup because it is equivalent to the command Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

With DISM ResetBase disabled you can do the cleanup that will not lose the System Reset.

It has the same result but why complicate? Make it simple.

Do not enable DISM ResetBase Functionality if you want the System Reset to work. Use the DISM option in Clean update backup because it is equivalent to the command Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

With DISM ResetBase disabled you can do the cleanup that will not lose the System Reset.

Is that 1903-specific? I enabled DISM ResetBase Functionality on 1809 and I was able to use the Reset this PC feature after letting the System Reset for Windows compatibility checked. And what if I set DISM ResetBase Functionality as default (I don't remember if it's possible) or disable it and uncheck the System Reset compatibility?

Last edited:
No, ResetBase has been disabled since version 1607 or before I can not remember for sure.
As I said you only break the Reset this PC if you enable the ResetBase and do the cleanup the 2 things have to happen.

I do not understand the point of so many questions, why does not it simply do as I said?
You want to complicate what is simple, that's why you have so many problems.

No, ResetBase has been disabled since version 1607 or before I can not remember for sure.
As I said you only break the Reset this PC if you enable the ResetBase and do the cleanup the 2 things have to happen.

I do not understand the point of so many questions, why does not it simply do as I said?
You want to complicate what is simple, that's why you have so many problems.

So it looks like the Reset this PC feature worked because I didn't do the cleanup after unchecking the System Reset for Windows support compatibility and activating DISM ResetBase Functionality. What if I uncheck the System Reset compatibility and leave the DISM ResetBase Functionality disabled? Will I be able to use the Reset this PC feature even if before doing it I use the Dism /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase cmdlet? What about the clean update backup option of NTLite?

Sorry, but this is very complicated for me because we are talking about many things, I haven't used NTLite for some time and some features for it were added (and there were already some settings that I didn't know what they did but configured them anyway) and a new Windows 10 feature update was released.

If I remove Tablet PC, InputApp or both on 1903 will I be able to run Office OneNote? Also, my friend has Office 365 ProPlus and it doesn't automatically update to the latest version and has a Office Professional Plus 2016 license. Is it normal?

Last edited:
What it has to do with this is that you have to figure things out for yourself, like i did, i went straight from xp to windows. Took some time to get my head round the changes and i managed it. When w10 ltsb came along i had reasonable knowledge of mew ms operating systems and how they differed from xp but i still had problems, they wernt ntlite problems, they were w10 problems so i worked out that i had to lay down what compromises i had to accept. Going from 1.16gb(installed) windows 7 to around 6gb windows 10 is a bloody great big compromise but i can mitigate that somewhat by bareboning services and scheduled tasks, all worked out by me, no blackviper service files here, me, 1 by 1.

Granted i did ask some questions along the way and abbodi86 and Kasual were very patient and helpful but somethings didnt work for me so i found compromises on those. Much as w10 1809 is a crock of crap i can fettle it on my own and share my results here.

Back