[Resolved] Snip & Sketch not working

Memezillious

Snip and sketch is literally the only problem I care about in my iso before I can be happy and I just can't seem to get it working. I was wondering if someone can take a look through my preset and see what component I've removed stopping it to work. S&S pops up for a millisecond and goes straight to yellow borders around my screen which can last for a while or only a couple seconds. Capture picker, snip & sketch, capture service & UWP desktop Runtime are not removed

Attachments

• Snipandsketchpr.xml
    50.6 KB
Snip & Sketch is a UWP (Store App), it requires at a minimum:
Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.7​
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00​

Restore these additional libraries so you can run other UWP apps:
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.7​
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.2.2​
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.7​
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.2.2​

Snip & Sketch is a UWP (Store App), it requires at a minimum:
Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.7​
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00​

Restore these additional libraries so you can run other UWP apps:
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.7​
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.2.2​
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.7​
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.2.2​
Just tried re-enabling these and no change, honestly don't know how its broken

Just tried re-enabling these and no change, honestly don't know how its broken
You have removed a lot of or possibly most of the store from your system looking at your XML. This will cause a lot of issues with store apps. Does your store even work still?

A wise thing to do and I have learned is to backup before changing anything so that you can go back if you ended up making a woops

You have removed a lot of or possibly most of the store from your system looking at your XML. This will cause a lot of issues with store apps. Does your store even work still?

A wise thing to do and I have learned is to backup before changing anything so that you can go back if you ended up making a woops
tbh the whole point is for the store not to be working, I've got plenty of backups, most with the same problem and most of the time comparing the good and bad backups between each other with the notepad++ plugin show virtually no difference, of course I've gone back and forth re-enabling disabling the differences and I just can't seem to find the problem. Calculator works though so thats great lmao

I ran into a problem using CCleaner with Winapp2 recently, where doing cleaning causes most of the apps, such as Calculator, Snip and Sketch, etcetera to no longer work (they fail to load when clicked on). If you are using Winapp2 it could be the cause. I had to reinstall Windows and get rid of Winapp2 for the issue to go away. CCleaner by itself was okay though.

I never tried to figure out yet what it's deleting that is causing this issue, but the reason I bring it up is because Winapp2 might be sharing a similar problem with NTLite, where they are both deleting a reg key or file that these Apps need. Since Winapp2's cleaning routines are open-source you may be able to check the filepaths they use and then see what gets deleted, and apply that knowledge to NTLite to figure out the issue. Just a thought anyway.

Another thought to consider, one of the other similar apps you removed, such as Paint might be the cause. I noticed a few of those apps have bugs (on Microsoft's side) when one of them is uninstalled. The removal of Paint 3D for example causes WordPad to error if you click on the paint ribbon menu button in WordPad (if it were coded properly then the ribbon button would also be removed during the uninstall).

I tried this preset, except for restoring .NET.Native libraries and On-Screen Keyboard.
OK, I cheated and skipped all driver/lang/keyboard removals because it's tedious waiting for NTLite on my slow PC.

Attachments

• Windows 10 x64-2022-10-13-13-58-36.png
    Windows 10 x64-2022-10-13-13-58-36.png
    382.9 KB
Does NTLite already have a compatibility warning for this scenario, or is that something that should be added in the future to preserve apps like these? I'm not on my desktop so I can't test anything.

I also got it working now, turns out it was one of these two things: Shared experiences OR originally I had touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service completely disabled so instead I now only have On-Screen Keyboard (Tablet PC) entirely disabled so yeah, I wish I read this earlier, thank you Garlin though, the On-Screen Keyboard thing would've saved me some time. Also, is there an order for tweaks in post setup or are they all ran at the exact same time?

Last edited:
Order doesn't matter for tweaks, they're all reg key changes. Disabling Shared Experiences will break CDP & the Settings app.

Back