Servicing Stack Update

SHO_GuN

re: LTSC 21H2

Currently, the NTLite updater is offering KB5005260.

When the last preview updates came out, NTLite failed several times by just stopping - no errors indicated. It did complete a couple times but then the install went to a blue screen very quickly after starting and the computer shut off.

I remembered reading somewhere that SSU's were going to be included in cumulative updates. While reading threads here I found a link to a MS catalog page that has KB5014032 on it - a newer SSU than what NTLite is offering. It worked and all was good.

Then NTLite v2.3.6.8775 was released and again, it would not complete a run even with KB5014032 instead of KB5005260 . So I tried it without any SSU update and it worked.

Now that this months updates and NTLite v2.3.6.8785 have been released, I ran it without any SSU update and all seems fine.

So, can I just forget about SSU's at this point or is there a reason to try to use one of them that I am not aware of?

Thanks

Monthly updates for W10/11 include the right SSU inside the download. NTLite knows this.

When you're making an offline image, NTLite doesn't require any separate SSU.

When you're updating a live W10 system that wasn't patched before Apr 2021, you need to install SSU first. Before April, SSU wasn't automatically included in the CU. W11 systems never had this problem to begin with.

What happens if you download SSU anyway? Normally the two versions are in sync. If not, the highest version SSU wins out integration.
But if you're playing with preview updates, the preview CU might have a newer SSU. Just don't mix & match.

KB5005260 was the last separate servicing stack, and it was/is necessary for some older unpatched hosts to support the new MSU format with latest servicing stacks in them.
The servicing stack from stock to latest was having issues I believe - haven't documented it very well.
Will untick it by default, to start from there, if no one complains, will remove it.

Thanks.

if no one complains, will remove it.
Users can always check for any special Servicing Stack requirements at the relevant MS "Updates History" web pages.
w10 Here and w11 Here, just follow the trail for their build series numbers.

Last edited:
Back