Slipstream WinXP with WinXP SP3

sommertj

Hello,

I bought the license for the home version. I have a known good .ISO for WinXP install. I used it to install WinXP in VirtualBox. I cannot figure out how to use the .ISO in NLite. I have extracted all the folders and files to a separate subdirectory (C:\hold). When I try to add the content of C:\hold\ using NLite menu Image Add->Image Directory, I keep getting an error dialog stating: "Invalid Windows Image Path". I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks
Tim

There is no support for Windows XP.

You can read at the end of the Features page:
  • Does not support:
     Checked/Debug editions
     Embedded or IoT editions (exception being the ‘Enterprise’ subset, it is supported)
     Windows Vista
     Windows XP
     Windows Server 2008 and older

If you are interested in XP, see my XP2ESD project. New version should be released soon. Main purpose is create fully updated XP setup and convert it into modern installer with install.esd. My future goal is one setup (perfect for USB) with XP / 7 / 10.

Btw, XP2ESD conversion doesn't allow you to use NTLite on them, but helps you to deploy XP on newer HW, as it's designed to work with NVMe, USB3 etc. And many fixes (including PAE patching to support more than 4GB RAM) come in upcoming v1.5 version.

If you are interested in XP, see my XP2ESD project.
George, if that works on Coffee Lake(/refresh) you are an effing legend :)
despite is portly dimensions windows 7 is actually far more stable than xp was. the PAE patch will be very helpful.
dumb question, can you use an xp thats been nLited?

Last edited:
George, if that works on Coffee Lake(/refresh) you are an effing legend :)
despite is portly dimensions windows 7 is actually far more stable than xp was. the PAE patch will be very helpful.
dumb question, can you use an xp thats been nLited?

Yes, previously modified setup can be used too. But I cannot guarantee it will works without problem. I hope I can release XP2ESd v1.5 in a week. As many things was fixed etc. During this XP 3 months digging I also got few ideas to improve my unreleased Windows 6.1 Kitchen. I would like to see RunOnceEx and Snappy Driver Installer run in same way before entering OOBE like I do in XP2ESD. And best part is DriverPacks are really universal. If I can do it on 7 / 10 too I can prepare script for perfect AIO setup.

Back